[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US Economy thread  (Read 36662 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: US Economy thread
« Reply #1025 on: May 24, 2024, 10:50:52 AM »
Explain to me how requiring students to repay their debts for 50 years, then having a window where debts are absolved, then closing the window and again expecting repayment is “good public policy”. Buying votes in an election year doesn’t qualify as a good answer.

It isn't good public policy.

But the forgiveness of student loan debt for targeted professions (teachers, law enforcement, etc.) or giving tax breaks to companies who have that as part of their compensation package could very well be. Or coupling more universal debt relief with a program to lower the cost of higher education may be as well.

All of these would provide people with something that those who came before did not receive. That should be absolutely irrelevant to the conversation IF the above is good policy.

The schools that make up the NCAA are now going to be paying athletes directly. It's about time! Should that have not been put in place because former student athletes didn't get to participate? Of course not.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1026 on: May 24, 2024, 11:05:19 AM »
Don't we enact public policy all the time that "not everyone feels that way"?

Ask women about public policy decisions
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1027 on: May 24, 2024, 11:14:12 AM »
If you need help paying off your student loans, just become a content creator on the MUScoop platform. Pays well, and reading the comments only causes moderate psychological side effects

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: May 24, 2024, 11:18:21 AM »
It isn't good public policy.

But the forgiveness of student loan debt for targeted professions (teachers, law enforcement, etc.) or giving tax breaks to companies who have that as part of their compensation package could very well be. Or coupling more universal debt relief with a program to lower the cost of higher education may be as well.

All of these would provide people with something that those who came before did not receive. That should be absolutely irrelevant to the conversation IF the above is good policy.

The schools that make up the NCAA are now going to be paying athletes directly. It's about time! Should that have not been put in place because former student athletes didn't get to participate? Of course not.

If we have a serious, prolonged shortage of people becoming teachers or going into law enforcement, maybe. Otherwise I’d let the market sort things out. But the idea to do it retroactively for some  while expecting current  and future students to honor their obligations is patently unfair, just another scheme to buy votes.

My understanding is that present and future athletes will be getting paid. And so would former ones. I don’t see any analogy to this targeted, temporary student loan forgiveness.

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: May 24, 2024, 11:21:21 AM »
If we have a serious, prolonged shortage of people becoming teachers or going into law enforcement, maybe. Otherwise I’d let the market sort things out. But the idea to do it retroactively for some  while expecting current  and future students to honor their obligations is patently unfair, just another scheme to buy votes.

Of course. As I said, it's not good policy. But that doesn't mean that some alternatives shouldn't be explored or enacted because it might turn out to be good policy.

But I guess its just easier to be hyperbolic about open borders and handing out $1 million checks instead of being a serious person.

My understanding is that present and future athletes will be getting paid. And so would former ones. I don’t see any analogy to this targeted, temporary student loan forgiveness.

Your understanding is false. Only some former athletes will be receiving damages.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #1030 on: May 24, 2024, 11:28:33 AM »
Damn that sucks.

I'm going to be using a gift card to a local place that my kids gave me for dinner next week. Too bad it will be a joyless event because I didn't grind and focus enough to pay for it myself.

Kids got you a gift card to Cheesecake? Cheap. That sucks.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: May 24, 2024, 11:29:23 AM »

But I guess its just easier to be hyperbolic about open borders and handing out $1 million checks instead of being a serious person.

A little humor and hyperbole by both Lens and myself. Sorry but not surprised you missed it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1032 on: May 24, 2024, 11:30:28 AM »

It might not be good, but it's also not cheap so it has that going for it

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: May 24, 2024, 11:30:43 AM »

Your understanding is false. Only some former athletes will be receiving damages.

Did I say every or all? It was a bad analogy. Own it.

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: May 24, 2024, 11:31:54 AM »

Yeah, they couldn't afford anything more because I made them pay for their college costs 100%. Otherwise they wouldn't have had enough focus and wouldn't have enjoyed it at all.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: May 24, 2024, 11:44:34 AM »
Yeah, they couldn't afford anything more because I made them pay for their college costs 100%. Otherwise they wouldn't have had enough focus and wouldn't have enjoyed it at all.

Very Un-American of you

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: May 24, 2024, 11:48:15 AM »
Very Un-American of you

I'm a great American. No hand outs to any of my kids because it would lessen the incentive for them to work.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: May 24, 2024, 11:54:52 AM »
It might not be good, but it's also not cheap so it has that going for it

Yeah, a $100 gift card to the Cheesecake Factory cost exactly the same as a $100 gift card to a good restaurant. Now the food…

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: May 24, 2024, 11:57:13 AM »
Did I say every or all? It was a bad analogy. Own it.

It was a perfect analogy. I guess those whose best "takes" are hyperbolic nonsense can't see that though.

A little humor and hyperbole by both Lens and myself. Sorry but not surprised you missed it.

That was way to close to your normal nonsense to be written off as humor.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: May 24, 2024, 12:30:34 PM »
...'too close'...
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: May 24, 2024, 12:34:32 PM »
...'too close'...

Sorry but it's ...two close...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: May 24, 2024, 01:37:01 PM »
I'm a great American. No hand outs to any of my kids because it would lessen the incentive for them to work.

YOU ARE A GREAT AMERICAN!

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #1042 on: May 24, 2024, 01:39:13 PM »

Your kids are soft. Be a better father and post less on scoop.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: May 24, 2024, 03:10:55 PM »
It was a perfect analogy.

Sure, Donald. Perfect.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1044 on: May 24, 2024, 03:32:53 PM »
Your kids are soft. Be a better father and post less on scoop.

My kids are hard as a rock

Bricked up, as the youths say

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #1045 on: May 24, 2024, 03:49:18 PM »
My kids are hard as a rock

Bricked up, as the youths say

Good. I trust yours are. Hippie on the other hand

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: May 24, 2024, 04:16:14 PM »
Good. I trust yours are. Hippie on the other hand

They haven’t cried since they came out of the womb. So hard they can’t form meaningful relations with anyone else.

But they sure did appreciate their college experience cause I made them pay for it. Even charged them mileage when we trucked them back and forth.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1047 on: May 24, 2024, 06:02:09 PM »
Then I guess you must think that Trump should have been impeached as the reserve declined during his tenure as well.  Or you’re just a moron.

no need for the name calling mr atl blah blah blah, but under trump the reserves started out at around 695 million barrels and yes, he did draw them down to 638.1 million by 1/15/21.  trump then proposed in covid-19 stimulus package to add 77 million barrels back , but was voted down.

as of the week ending March 25, 2024, the reserve was down to 568.3 million barrels

since then, he authorized a release of an additional180 million barrels

so tell me why this is necessary Mr name caller
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1048 on: May 24, 2024, 06:11:16 PM »
You are the biggest unnatural carnal knowledgeing fool I have ever encountered

because the feeling is mutual and coming from someone who thinks weekend, a guy who showered with his daughter, is a worthy leader, this is the best compliment anyone could ever have

THANK YOU!! 

btw, get out of your lefty bubble and talk to people other than your buddies with the co-exist bumper stickers and the view watchers.
      even charlamagne has swung to the good guys side
don't...don't don't don't don't

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: May 24, 2024, 07:03:19 PM »
They haven’t cried since they came out of the womb. So hard they can’t form meaningful relations with anyone else.

Chips off the old block. You must be proud.

feedback