collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US Economy thread  (Read 22003 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: US Economy thread
« Reply #600 on: May 10, 2024, 09:12:27 PM »
There is lots of training and skills development here, not to mention sustainable energy to power the whole complex. This is a huge win for The State.

It shows the power of being in a battle ground state. First the infrastructure and now someone extremely legitimate comes in.

It is a competitive market. We had multiple states bidding on a project we had that was relatively small in the greater scheme of things( 200,000 square feet and about 150 jobs when fully up and running).

Microsoft is investing $500 million in data center projects in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, about 70 miles from Mount Pleasant.  The state didn't give them the land or build them roads. Cook County isn't building them water or sewer infrastructure. Nobody promised any tax credits.
Illinois isn't a battleground state.

I'll put this to you simply.
Between what Foxconn has done and Microsoft is promising, these projects are expected to create less than 3,200 jobs.
Wisconsin taxpayers have spent $1 billion so far to land those projects.
That's $312,500 per job.
And you guys think that's a great deal for the state? Oof.

Of course, its usually the people who think like that who cry loudest about a young worker getting $10,000 in student debt forgiven or a few more weeks of unemployment benefits.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 09:39:46 PM by Pakuni »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #601 on: May 10, 2024, 09:29:35 PM »
what?  so you could just run it into the ground?

Dunno, I wouldn’t know. I pulled myself by my bootstraps

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #602 on: May 10, 2024, 09:37:12 PM »
The dome at Foxconn has seen less activity than a married man

MU82

• All American
« Reply #603 on: May 10, 2024, 09:55:01 PM »

Do you know the driving factor on the revenue growth? Was it due to 10% more visitors or higher prices? I am seriously asking because it is hard not to have higher revenues is prices are up 10% or more.

This is not a gotcha question, too lazy to look and thought you would know.

The most recent data I could find quickly - and I'm not about to spend significant time on it to find more - shows this annual attendance at Disneyland and Disney World through 2022:

https://queue-times.com/en-US/parks/16/attendances

https://queue-times.com/en-US/parks/6/attendances

In each case, attendance rose steadily for years, obviously fell off a cliff in 2020 due to Covid, began climbing again in 2021, and by 2022 was back to a couple/few million of where it had been pre-Covid. I don't have 2023 or so-far-2024 figures, but asked a question about park attendance during the earnings call, CEO Bob Iger said:

"In terms of attendance, look, what we're basically communicating is relative to the post-COVID highs, things are tending to normalize. The Parks business did 10% growth in the quarter. And obviously, that's an extremely high revenue number. That said, we still see in -- the bookings that we look ahead towards indicate healthy growth in the business. So, we still certainly feel-good about the opportunities for continued strong growth."

It's safe to say is that tens of millions of people pay big money to those two American parks every year and to and sail on Disney cruises, and significantly more than that do the same around the world.

Iger wishes the rest of Disney's business was on as sound footing as the Experiences segment is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #604 on: May 11, 2024, 06:14:49 AM »
Microsoft is investing $500 million in data center projects in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, about 70 miles from Mount Pleasant.  The state didn't give them the land or build them roads. Cook County isn't building them water or sewer infrastructure. Nobody promised any tax credits.

Between what Foxconn has done and Microsoft is promising, these projects are expected to create less than 3,200 jobs.
That's $312,500 per job.

Of course, its usually the people who think like that who cry loudest about a young worker getting $10,000 in student debt forgiven or a few more weeks of unemployment benefits.

Like most things, Herm doesn’t have a clue about which he speaks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #605 on: May 11, 2024, 06:58:41 AM »

That's $312,500 per job.

It's called making lemonade out of lemons. It's not just the 3200 jobs, though Pakuni.
 - Microsoft's initial pledge was to add $1 billion in taxable property value in just the first, two-building phase of construction. It's now $3.3 billion but that still only represents a portion of what Microsoft is likely to build in the future.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #606 on: May 11, 2024, 07:00:02 AM »
It's called making lemonade out of lemons. It's not just the 3200 jobs, though Pakuni.
 - Microsoft's initial pledge was to add $1 billion in taxable property value in just the first, two-building phase of construction. It's now $3.3 billion but that still only represents a portion of what Microsoft is likely to build in the future.

Right. But it doesn’t make the initial Foxconn nonsense worth it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #607 on: May 11, 2024, 07:24:41 AM »
Right. But it doesn’t make the initial Foxconn nonsense worth it.

Foxconn was a boondoggle and financial disaster.  A complete and utter failure.  Spinning it any other way is wrong.

Ron Walker and Orange Turd didn’t spend billions to build a business park.  They spent it in a foolhardy attempt to bring in a company with a history of stiffing communities and partners.  Alarm signs were sounding the day it was announced.

Not a single person in favor of this deal and the billions it cost sold it as a commercial development property for future investors because no one is spending that kind of capital hoping to one day attract Microsoft.

A simple history search of the history of this boondoggle illuminates this, but yes, fake news blah blah blah.

As I said earlier, if this was vindication for the rotten deal, there’d be crowing from the people that got swindled.  There isn’t because they got saved by political opponents.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #608 on: May 11, 2024, 08:45:36 AM »
In reading this thread I am surprised on the backlash for Herman. I have never met Herman, but his business insight has been outstanding over the years. He has provided big picture insight based off of his remarkable career and I have found it to be the best on scoop. In addition, his dedication to MU is obvious and I am thankful that he takes time to post on scoop. I am sure he has far bigger things in his business life to do over posting on scoop.

#thanksherman

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #609 on: May 11, 2024, 09:17:36 AM »
In reading this thread I am surprised on the backlash for Herman. I have never met Herman, but his business insight has been outstanding over the years. He has provided big picture insight based off of his remarkable career and I have found it to be the best on scoop. In addition, his dedication to MU is obvious and I am thankful that he takes time to post on scoop. I am sure he has far bigger things in his business life to do over posting on scoop.

#thanksherman

You're talking about the same poster who states he gets young women intentionally drunk so that he can have unprotected sex with them?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #610 on: May 11, 2024, 09:33:34 AM »
I believe Herman is the gold standard for business and economic insight on scoop. In addition, I wish MU had a lot more supporters of the program like Herm. He brings insight that I do not believe any of us can truly relate to because of his real-life experiences. I throw out opinions, like 82 noted, but Herman throws down facts!!!

• All American
« Reply #611 on: May 11, 2024, 09:34:04 AM »

#thanksherman

Pretty sure Herman is nothing but a troll. But I’m sure he’s glad that you’re his friend.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #612 on: May 11, 2024, 09:38:36 AM »
Fluff

I have never met or spoken with Herman. I would not say he is friend of mine, just someone that I respect his body of work and dedication to Marquette. To be honest, I do not think Herman thinks of me as a friend and may think I am a troll.

• All American
« Reply #613 on: May 11, 2024, 09:43:08 AM »
Could be. He might actually be all he represents himself to be. But this is the guy who takes time out of his day to post Sam Hauser’s daily stats and link to a few newspaper articles without offering any sort of insight, so I doubt it.

But he is clearly wrong in this case.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #614 on: May 11, 2024, 09:43:41 AM »
You're talking about the same poster who states he gets young women intentionally drunk so that he can have unprotected sex with them?

Yeah, he’s a dirtbag, liar and continuously wrong about everything but sure, he has tremendous insight

Goose

• All American
« Reply #615 on: May 11, 2024, 09:45:52 AM »
Rico

Have you read his biz posts over the years that details his career? I would not diminish his words based off his Hauser updates. Guys like Fluff do that, smart guys listen to smarter people.

• All American
« Reply #616 on: May 11, 2024, 09:46:52 AM »
Rico

Have you read his biz posts over the years that details his career? I would not diminish his words based off his Hauser updates. Guys like Fluff do that, smart guys listen to smarter people.

No his activity here makes me believe his entire persona is fiction.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #617 on: May 11, 2024, 09:48:40 AM »
Fluff,

Who knows, maybe he is a big swinging dick and does not want us to know his true identity?

• All American
« Reply #618 on: May 11, 2024, 09:50:03 AM »
Fluff,

Who knows, maybe he is a big swinging dick and does not want us to know his true identity?

At least you are impressed with him. And in the end, that’s what counts.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #619 on: May 11, 2024, 09:51:26 AM »
It is hard not to be impressed with Herman. Try and take the bias away and read his posts on his career and business in general.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #620 on: May 11, 2024, 09:54:12 AM »

#thanksherman

I think you need to reread his posts homie, he is routinely very wrong.

• All American
« Reply #621 on: May 11, 2024, 09:56:12 AM »
It is hard not to be impressed with Herman. Try and take the bias away and read his posts on his career and business in general.

“This guy may have made up everything, but man is he impressive!”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #622 on: May 11, 2024, 09:57:56 AM »
Fluff

How do you know he made everything up? Examples?

• All American
« Reply #623 on: May 11, 2024, 10:11:17 AM »
Fluff

How do you know he made everything up? Examples?

I never said I “knew” he made up everything. But he is either a completely fake troll or he is who he is and is just wrong a lot.

But glad you are impressed with him either way.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #624 on: May 11, 2024, 10:15:43 AM »
Fluff

He is in good company. I am impressed by you. You are person that is an expert on all topics on scoop, not afraid to comment on anyone's point of view, obviously dedicated based off your number of posts and literally do not care what anyone thinks of you. To be honest, that is impressive.