Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Beatin' Hall  (Read 4546 times)

tower912

• All American
Beatin' Hall
« on: January 27, 2024, 01:52:54 PM »
1.  Get well soon, Kam
2.  Addae-Wusu coming off an 0-13 game.   Of course he regresses to the mean.
3.  Rebounding.  But we already knew that.
4.  That Oso to Joplin pass is a set.  Justin threw that pass to Greg.
5.  Imagine if Oso made his bunnies.  Imagine if TKo made anything.
6.  Gold gets extended minutes.   Huh.   Still no post game, so haters can hate.
7.  Joplin, despite not dunking, did ok.  Good defense, lots of deflections.
8.  The freshmen didn't hurt anything.  They will be fine.
9.  MU just missed a whole bunch more plays they JUST missed.
10.  MU goes to 15-5 despite getting little from Kam, little scoring from TKO,  getting out rebounded.   A team effort.   Thank you, Stevie, Joplin, and Ben.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 01:59:46 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Beatin' Hall
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 01:54:36 PM »
Nothing to complain about here. Started slow but dominated the second half. If we get this Jop and Ben, and this offense from Stevie, and Chase and Kam can get healthy and break out of slumps, we’ll be where we hope to be.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 01:56:14 PM »
Rebounding is an issue.   Other than that, winning by 18 with such an altered rotation is really good.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 01:56:29 PM »
That second half was an absolute clinic.  And Ben getting his shot back is huge.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 01:57:00 PM »
Only lost rebounding battle 32-29.  I’d say that’s a victory

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 01:57:23 PM »
Rebounding is an issue.   Other than that, winning by 18 with such an altered rotation is really good.

True. Rebounding, particularly to start, wasn’t great. Thanks for finding me something to complain about.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 01:58:02 PM »
Great game today. Gold, Stevie, Joplin all played really well. Oso was ridiculous, human highlight reel. Lots of fun, go Marq

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 01:58:26 PM »
Only lost rebounding battle 32-29.  I’d say that’s a victory
Wow.  Now that I think about it, yeah, Ben and Oso rebounded well in the second half.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 01:59:13 PM »
Rebounding is a net negative for the year.  Offense is spotty at time.  But the defense, oh that glorious defense. 

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2024, 02:00:36 PM »
Kadary Richmond absence notwithstanding, that was one of the very best defensive performances of the Shaka era. Pair that caliber effort with an average or better offensive performance and MU will not lose. In general, the (semi-justified) panic about team offensive regression has overshadowed an unexpectedly big leap forward defensively. Once fully healthy, it seems like we might get an opportunity to see the monster squad we were hoping for in the offseason.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2024, 02:00:52 PM »
Things appear to be slowing down for Ben.  Fingers crossed we’re seeing the tip of the iceberg with regards to him.

Stevie is a dude and one of my favorite guys to come through the program
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2024, 02:02:01 PM »
Gold and Jop were huge on both ends. Could be a turning point for Gold which would be massive. TK punishing their D the last 10 was awesome.
No Finish Line

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2024, 02:02:06 PM »
As frustrating as the 1st half, tons of positives from this game.

-Oso continues to be amazing.
-Stevie continues to be aggressive offensively (6-10 from the field) and his defense and effort continues to be insane
-Ben hitting another 3 from 3
-Jop scoring big and getting some deflections
-Kolek impacted the game a ton in the 2nd half without scoring

I said in the game thread I sit Kam the next two weeks unless he's 100%.  We can beat Nova without him but I "sacrifice" that game if it means getting him healthy.  After Nova we have Georgetown on the road and a week off until NMD at home.  Get him healthy. 

Kam being hurt now and Ross being out could make us stronger in March. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2024, 02:02:27 PM »

Rebounding fine today Vs that team. And second half gr8. Not an issue today
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2024, 02:02:49 PM »
Wow.  Now that I think about it, yeah, Ben and Oso rebounded well in the second half.
Don’t get me wrong. The first half rebounding was nauseating

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2024, 02:06:21 PM »
Ben was very good defensively in the second half. That was great to see. We are a much more effective offense when we are letting Oso run the half court sets for stretches. Hoping we get this Jop the rest of the year.

Great 2d half after a frustrating first half.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2024, 02:07:55 PM »
Things appear to be slowing down for Ben.  Fingers crossed we’re seeing the tip of the iceberg with regards to him.

Gold and Jop were huge on both ends. Could be a turning point for Gold which would be massive.

Agree with these sentiments about Gold. It's worth remembering he didn't get much of a preseason with his shin splints. Really hope we're seeing a decisive breakout.

I'm actually hopeful that we could be seeing that with Joplin too. Shaka talks about this a lot, but it feels like confidence is the x-factor for his game. Today was a completely different level for him in that respect. I think it was easily his best overall game at Marquette.

Both he and Gold have had to use a lot of practice reps and focus on defensive development these past couple years. Maybe as they settle in on that end, their offense is clicking into place too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 02:10:34 PM by Tyler COLEk »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2024, 02:10:01 PM »
Ben was very good defensively in the second half. That was great to see. We are a much more effective offense when we are letting Oso run the half court sets for stretches. Hoping we get this Jop the rest of the year.

Great 2d half after a frustrating first half.

I thought they battled hard in the first half.  muwarrior69 pointed out how they scored over half their points in the first 7 minutes and then started to clamp down to close the half.  Slow start but had the momentum
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2024, 02:13:56 PM »
And for anyone who doesn’t think Ben is a BE center, pay attention to who he guards vs. who Oso guards when they’re on the floor together. Hint: Ben is always guarding the opponent’s C.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2024, 02:17:42 PM »
Dont get me wrong. If we lose TK for a lot of games, thats bad news.

We need a healthy Kam

But Oso is our guy. If he plays, we always have a chance against any team not named Uconn or Creighton and in most we are still heavy favs
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2024, 02:20:04 PM »
Joplin did ok? He was great

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2024, 02:23:14 PM »
Dont get me wrong. If we lose TK for a lot of games, thats bad news.

We need a healthy Kam

But Oso is our guy. If he plays, we always have a chance against any team not named Uconn or Creighton and in most we are still heavy favs

They're both equally indispensable. We won't have them much longer so appreciate them while they're here, even if they have some rough moments.   

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2024, 02:24:56 PM »
Nothing to complain about here. Started slow but dominated the second half. If we get this Jop and Ben, and this offense from Stevie, and Chase and Kam can get healthy and break out of slumps, we’ll be where we hope to be.

This is one of those situations where you post a lot of "ifs" but its also not unrealistic at all

I think the injuries are also a big boost to Stevie. He knows he needs to add a bit more on the O end and he has been.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2024, 02:25:02 PM »
A great team performance and plenty of individual play to applaud. There were multiple times, on both ends of the court, that I could argue MU looked the part of a serious NC contender.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2024, 02:30:14 PM »
We don’t have a chance against UConn or Creighton?  What?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson