[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bucks Fire Griffin. Rivers Possible Replcement  (Read 4703 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Bucks Fire Griffin. Rivers Possible Replcement
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2024, 01:06:05 PM »
I'm hoping this is a trial through the end of the season thing. Picking the next HC just because he's available in the middle of the season isnt great.

There is zero chance of that.  Doc was getting paid very well by ESPN to live a much more stress free life not having to coach.  There's no way Doc is taking the Bucks job without a long term commitment from the Bucks.  I'd be shocked if it was any less than the rest of this season plus 3 more years on his contract.  And for a LOT of money.  Otherwise he has zero reason to leave being a color analyst for ESPN's NBA games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2024, 01:08:47 PM »
As someone in consulting, what Doc did is a masterclass. Consulted his way straight into the top spot.

Doc was great when Thibs was his assistant. Conversely, so was Thibs. Don't see a Thibs on this staff.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2024, 01:10:05 PM »
GB Warrior

No kidding. I thought the Bucks axing Griffin took some balls, but hiring Doc was a lazy choice. I am sure he planted and watered the seed while "consulting" the Bucks. 

Not sure who you could have expected them to hire. Most good coaches are actually employed elsewhere at this time of the season.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2024, 01:14:52 PM »
Not sure who you could have expected them to hire. Most good coaches are actually employed elsewhere at this time of the season.

Plus, part of the reason Griffin might have been fired was not using the consulting Doc gave him. I think Griffin's ego was part of why Stotts left.

I'm not sure Van Gundy or Nate McMillan are any more attractive.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2024, 01:19:19 PM »
Right now Stotts, Kenny Atkinson or Bud would be choices for before Doc.

But this is why the summer was so screwed up bc they could have had Nurse or Vogel.

I think if they knew they were getting Dame they probably would have rolled with Bud. But a change needed to be made and at the time Bud was the easy change. They should have just brought him back now.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2024, 01:22:51 PM »
And I like the Becky idea.  She is smart as hell --- Dame, Giannis will respect someone who deserves / commands respect.  AG was over his skis from day one. The Stotts thing was the tell. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2024, 01:24:12 PM »
Right now Stotts, Kenny Atkinson or Bud would be choices for before Doc.

But this is why the summer was so screwed up bc they could have had Nurse or Vogel.

I think if they knew they were getting Dame they probably would have rolled with Bud. But a change needed to be made and at the time Bud was the easy change. They should have just brought him back now.

Bud still had his flaws. Even the championship year, many were counting the days to when he'd be fired, but then they turned around the Brooklyn series.

He's no doubt a better coach than Griffin. The real shame is Giannis nixing Nurse due to wanting a former player as a coach. I'm not sure if Nurse's reputation of wearing players thin caused that to.

I think if they knew they were getting Dame, they probably make a different hire. Griffin had solid credentials and was supposedly the DC of those Raptors teams. The HC job of a must win team seemed to be too much for him.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2024, 01:31:14 PM »
Forget what podcasts it was on, but someone described Doc as "single ply in March 2020". Better than wiping your ass with your hand but not all desirable all else being equal.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2024, 01:34:09 PM »
Bud still had his flaws. Even the championship year, many were counting the days to when he'd be fired, but then they turned around the Brooklyn series.

He's no doubt a better coach than Griffin. The real shame is Giannis nixing Nurse due to wanting a former player as a coach. I'm not sure if Nurse's reputation of wearing players thin caused that to.

I think if they knew they were getting Dame, they probably make a different hire. Griffin had solid credentials and was supposedly the DC of those Raptors teams. The HC job of a must win team seemed to be too much for him.

No doubt Bud had flaws but Dame + Giannis can probably cover up for them. Bud is still a very good coach, he may not be an elite coach but what he did in ATL and what he did following Kidd shows his value. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2024, 01:43:52 PM »
Forget what podcasts it was on, but someone described Doc as "single ply in March 2020". Better than wiping your ass with your hand but not all desirable all else being equal.

Pretty sure Griffin was a pine cone covered with poison oak. It sounds like things were pretty bad behind the scenes.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2024, 01:52:18 PM »
Plus, part of the reason Griffin might have been fired was not using the consulting Doc gave him. I think Griffin's ego was part of why Stotts left.

I'm not sure Van Gundy or Nate McMillan are any more attractive.

I think you're probably right. Griffin didn't want to take advice from Stotts, either.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2024, 01:53:27 PM »
I will be pulling for Doc to win a title in Milwaukee and hope he has a plan to coach this group of players.  I hope his experience coaching the Sixers and against the C’s benefits this team.  Heck, coaching against the Bucks should have been helpful (granted, the makeup is different).

I don’t think he’s a very good coach for whatever reason, at least in the playoffs.  But maybe this is the right combo.  Hope it is and will be there supporting him and the Bucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2024, 01:57:54 PM »
“Nowhere near” your top choice??  Then who are the plethora of great and available candidates they passed on? Name names please.

To clarify, at this point in the season, he's a choice that makes sense. There aren't any other candidates available right at this moment that I think would be a clear upgrade.

But I would have preferred they hire Nurse last offseason. Or just let Prunty run things this year and hire someone this coming offseason. But I understand why they didn't do that.

During last offseason or next offseason, Doc wouldn't even have been on my list. Not in my top 20 choices. But I hope he proves me wrong.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2024, 02:20:03 PM »
BM1090

I am with you across the board.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2024, 02:47:48 PM »
No doubt Bud had flaws but Dame + Giannis can probably cover up for them. Bud is still a very good coach, he may not be an elite coach but what he did in ATL and what he did following Kidd shows his value.
Bud in the playoffs last year was so bad he couldn't go on.  It was just awful.  Not sure if that was due to his personal circumstances or not...but I understood the move.  Griff was a bad hire meant to please Giannis.  That can get a GM in trouble...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2024, 03:43:01 PM »
Not that I really care, but why would they have needed to negotiate into the late evening, early morning? Not that Doc should be giving MKE any special favors, but I would have thought it would have been a pretty contract discussion. Doc probably took $100k+ consulting gig with the Bucks and turned it into a lottery ticket. Good for him.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2024, 03:47:18 PM »
I don't think he was getting pennies from ESPN. Also, this is probably his last coaching job, so he probably wants to cash in.

I'm guessing the negotiation was about years more than money anyways.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2024, 03:48:19 PM »
Years and control over staff.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2024, 04:21:58 PM »
Total value is most important anyway. It's not like the Bucks can afford 3 ex coaches on payroll.

Thank God for Jimmy Haslam who has experience with this

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2024, 04:31:53 PM »
Thank God for Jimmy Haslam...

As a Cleveland Browns fan, I think I can honestly say that I don't recall ever seeing those particular words grouped together in that way.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2024, 05:14:13 PM »
As a Cleveland Browns fan, I think I can honestly say that I don't recall ever seeing those particular words grouped together in that way.

Just need him to keep writing checks!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2024, 05:32:29 PM »
Sultan

I understand what Doc wants, but he really is not an elite coach and he is getting an elite job. I hope it works out for the Bucks and Doc, just somewhat skeptical on what he brings to the table.

Was he interviewed before they hired Griffin? I do not remember.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2024, 05:37:38 PM »
#31 is in the catbird seat negotiating with da Bucks. Pretty much can name his price and terms. Bucks have a small window to get this right. In udder words that everyone here can understand, "Doc's got them by the short hairs", aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2024, 05:48:53 PM »
Sultan

I understand what Doc wants, but he really is not an elite coach and he is getting an elite job. I hope it works out for the Bucks and Doc, just somewhat skeptical on what he brings to the table.

Was he interviewed before they hired Griffin? I do not remember.

I don't believe so. At least he didn't make the Final 3.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2024, 06:22:14 PM »
Doc

I agree and shame on the Bucks, imo. He definitely was in the drivers seat and I am sure he drove the narrative.