[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bucks Fire Griffin. Rivers Possible Replcement  (Read 4707 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Bucks Fire Griffin. Rivers Possible Replcement
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2024, 07:21:51 PM »
Saying they should have hired someone other than the coach who was on the bench when they won their first title in 50 years is something.

And the guy they fired right after and were never happy with. Just because Bud did something they hadn't done in 50 years doesn't mean it was a better hire or that they wouldn't have better results.

Budenholzer had 4 years where he didn't win a title and lost to a lower seeded team in 3/4 years. If they had hired Hammon, it's entirely possible that drought isn't as long and the success is even greater. Just because NBA front offices are sexist and scared doesn't make Bud a better hire than Hammon would've been.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2024, 07:24:24 PM »
Obviously surprising to see the Bucks firing a coach they just hired to lead the team. What a dream job right? All that talent, you would think you or I could coach that team to a championship.  They have not been winning even against average teams. Ouch. Don’t panic but make a move while it’s still early. Who’s out there? Well it was a good move to call in Rivers to give advice to the management and the coach before they showed him the door.

If things don’t get turned around I’ll bet Damon Lillard is going to ask himself, “What did I do? I could be playing in South Beach with Jimmy Buckets.”

I imagine we’ll know in a few days if Doc Rivers is the next head coach. He’s got the experience and won a title with the Celtics in 2008. And lost to the Lakers in the finals in 2010. Otherwise he lost a billion times with good teams year after year. There’s got to be somebody better. BUT

I love him. Grew up in Chicago, played for Marquette when Al and Majerus were coaches. He always says good things about Marquette and Milwaukee. What if he could lead the team to back to the top of the eastern conference and push it even further?  I look forward to seeing that with Rivers or who ever the management decides what to do. Don’t panic, but the situation is dire.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 07:29:02 PM »
I wonder if the shower leadership you admired and wrote a letter?

Translation please

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2024, 07:36:19 PM »
Its pig latin for "I've got gas pains," aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2024, 07:49:44 PM »
Translation please

I wonder if he showed leadership you admired by writing a letter
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2024, 08:07:51 PM »
S   U   P   E   R     B   A   R

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2024, 08:40:12 PM »
And the guy they fired right after and were never happy with. Just because Bud did something they hadn't done in 50 years doesn't mean it was a better hire or that they wouldn't have better results.

Budenholzer had 4 years where he didn't win a title and lost to a lower seeded team in 3/4 years. If they had hired Hammon, it's entirely possible that drought isn't as long and the success is even greater. Just because NBA front offices are sexist and scared doesn't make Bud a better hire than Hammon would've been.

Or, as long as we are talking hypotheticals here, it may have worked out worse. But again it’s pretty hard to argue with a championship.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2024, 08:58:43 PM »
I wonder if he showed leadership you admired by writing a letter

Shoot. I was hoping it would be something original and/or funny. But thanks.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2024, 09:06:04 PM »
Shoot. I was hoping it would be something original and/or funny. But thanks.

Crean sucks

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2024, 09:10:18 PM »
It’s official Doc Rivers is the new head coach

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2024, 09:14:55 PM »
Well, wouldn’t be my first choice but best of luck to Doc and here’s hoping it works

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2024, 09:17:10 PM »
Clear upgrade but also nowhere near my first choice. Will be open minded about it though.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2024, 09:53:39 PM »
Clear upgrade but also nowhere near my first choice. Will be open minded about it though.

“Nowhere near” your top choice??  Then who are the plethora of great and available candidates they passed on? Name names please. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2024, 10:00:45 PM »
I’m fine with Doc. A lot of recent playoff disappointments but still a championship and another Finals loss.  For a team all in, this is as good as you’re going to do when you effed up so bad you had to make a change in January. 

He isn’t perfect and there certainly was no one out there who was either. You don’t win one championship and get to another being a fluke.  Here’s hoping championships 2 and 3 for him are right here in Brewtown.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2024, 10:04:51 PM »
Rivers name is hanging from the rafters...worth something.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2024, 10:07:53 PM »
Rivers name is hanging from the rafters...worth something.

No it really means and is worth nothing whether he’s the guy to take the Bucks all the way.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2024, 10:24:40 PM »
Not so fast about Doc apparently.  I still would bet it will happen.  But not a done deal yet.

https://twitter.com/sportsreiter/status/1749996200903008368?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2024, 10:38:59 PM »
Not so fast about Doc apparently.  I still would bet it will happen.  But not a done deal yet.

https://twitter.com/sportsreiter/status/1749996200903008368?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Mrs rivers doesn't want to move back to wisconsin and is telling him to back out
Maigh Eo for Sam

mug644

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2024, 10:43:51 PM »
Mrs rivers doesn't want to move back to wisconsin and is telling him to back out

Undone deal?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2024, 03:45:31 AM »

Knot certain der iz a Mrs. Rivers at dis point, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2024, 12:55:20 PM »
As someone in consulting, what Doc did is a masterclass. Consulted his way straight into the top spot.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2024, 01:02:24 PM »
GB Warrior

No kidding. I thought the Bucks axing Griffin took some balls, but hiring Doc was a lazy choice. I am sure he planted and watered the seed while "consulting" the Bucks. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2024, 01:03:10 PM »
Bucks should hire the same person they should've hired in the search that landed Budenholzer. Becky Hammon spent 9 years on an NBA bench with Popovich and when she got passed over for NBA head coaching jobs, went to the WNBA and took the Las Vegas Aces to the best record in the league two straight years and won two WNBA Championships, posting a staggering 16-3 postseason record along the way.

I'm not saying Hammon isn't a great basketball mind/coach, but using WNBA success as a harbinger of what she may have done in the NBA is reckless.  Not to mention, she inherited a STACKED roster with 3 consecutive #1 picks that had just finished second in the league.  It was like taking over the Warriors in 2016...except in a 12 team league that your talent advantage is even more noticeable.

She's done awesome in LV, but she took over a monster and kept them chugging forward as opposed to building something that was undeveloped that makes you go "whoa what a coaching job".

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2024, 01:04:18 PM »
I'm hoping this is a trial through the end of the season thing. Picking the next HC just because he's available in the middle of the season isnt great.