collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tuition  (Read 1713 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Tuition
« on: January 20, 2024, 10:07:22 AM »
MU at $50k...WI residents at UW at $9,600. Lotsa other factors to consider. However, fact remains that Marquette has reached rarefied air. $65k+ including r & b. I know Fluffy BM is goin' to say few pay the rack rate, many do. Would ya send ur kids to 13th and Wisconsin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
Re: Tuition
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 10:08:11 AM »
If that is where he wants to go, then yes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 10:10:09 AM »
MU at $50k...WI residents at UW at $9,600. Lotsa other factors to consider. However, fact remains that Marquette has reached rarefied air. $65k+ including r & b. I know Fluffy BM is goin' to say few pay the rack rate, many do. Would ya send ur kids to 13th and Wisconsin, hey?

In a heartbeat
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 10:23:55 AM »

Total cost to attend UW is $28k (in state), $57k (out of state). If your family makes over $110k per year, your average cost to attend is $26k (in state).

At MU the cost to attend (book rate) is $65k. If your family makes over $110k per year, your average cost to attend is $37k.

So in real terms, the difference is $11k per year, which for many is well worth the personalized education you get at a place like MU.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 10:58:52 AM »

I did. And he's a pretty smart dude so it was approximately the same cost as UW.

Few pay full freight, but if they want to that's great.  My guess is that the average student pays less now than they did five years ago. Especially when you take inflation into consideration.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 01:01:55 PM »
I'm class of '97 so my classmates and I are in college app / college tuition business.  MU is handing out 25K a year to A LOT of kids.

No one is paying retail. 

What I have found is the school is harder to get into now than it was in the past (for Midwest kids).  Based on conversations I am having, the school is in a really good place.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 04:33:58 PM »
Good, informative thread.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 05:53:27 PM »
I'm class of '97 so my classmates and I are in college app / college tuition business.  MU is handing out 25K a year to A LOT of kids.

No one is paying retail. 

What I have found is the school is harder to get into now than it was in the past (for Midwest kids).  Based on conversations I am having, the school is in a really good place.

Great to hear, Lens

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 08:23:20 PM »
Indeed, I have a high school junior, so I'd love to see more tuition/scholarship anecdotes about MU, UW, .. University of MN, etc, etc.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 08:24:00 PM »
I wish my high school junior had a germ of a plan.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 08:29:48 PM »
Indeed, I have a high school junior, so I'd love to see more tuition/scholarship anecdotes about MU, UW, .. University of MN, etc, etc.

Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Use one offer to get a better one. Unless they offer you money to do so, don’t commit early. Hold out as long as you can.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2024, 12:47:09 AM »
My son (current freshman) got a $25k/year discount from MU (they call it a scholarship, I call it a discount) - per year.  We would probably be above most of the income thresholds, so if they would have tried to hit anyone for "rack rate" it would have been us. 

MU ended up being the most affordable of all the schools he was interested in.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 05:05:50 AM »
My son (current freshman) got a $25k/year discount from MU (they call it a scholarship, I call it a discount) - per year.  We would probably be above most of the income thresholds, so if they would have tried to hit anyone for "rack rate" it would have been us. 

MU ended up being the most affordable of all the schools he was interested in.

If one of my kids got that much of discount which they did elsewhere they may have attended MU. 
Good luck to your kid at MU.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2024, 07:48:55 AM »

Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Use one offer to get a better one. Unless they offer you money to do so, don’t commit early. Hold out as long as you can.

Curious .. is it correct to assume that you have far less (or zero) negotiating power with public schools?    Think, Big Ten type schools.   Maybe the answer depends on in-state/out-of-state?

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2024, 07:58:26 AM »
Curious .. is it correct to assume that you have far less (or zero) negotiating power with public schools?    Think, Big Ten type schools.   Maybe the answer depends on in-state/out-of-state?

Yeah, you are going to get very little as an in-state resident with the UW System unless it is financial aid related.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2024, 03:27:28 PM »

Yeah, you are going to get very little as an in-state resident with the UW System unless it is financial aid related.

Right .. and out of state for other public schools? .. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Colorado, etc. 

Is it correct to assume that your state's public school will be the most cost effective (plus reciprocal states like UW and MN) .. then privates, who, like the above for MU, discount $25k .. then finally public out-of-state, where they aren't going to be giving out $25k-type reductions?

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2024, 03:30:13 PM »
Right .. and out of state for other public schools? .. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Colorado, etc. 

Is it correct to assume that your state's public school will be the most cost effective (plus reciprocal states like UW and MN) .. then privates, who, like the above for MU, discount $25k .. then finally public out-of-state, where they aren't going to be giving out $25k-type reductions?

It really depends on the state, but I honestly don't know enough to know specifically from state to state. My kids never looked at out of state publics so I don't have that experience.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2024, 07:51:23 PM »
The SEC was handing out cash big time to Midwest / East coast kids.  A lot of Chicago kids (and some Milwaukee) went to Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn, South Carolina for a great deal.  This was all in the last 5-10 years.  Now they've somewhat normalized kids from here going there so that well is drying.  They've successfully made their student bodies much ore georgraphically diverse so the need to buy kids is a lot less.  My friends and I joke maybe the Big 12 will recruit our kids.  Imagine being able to say your son or daughter goes to UCF, BYU or Houston?  How could I remain humble?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2024, 06:12:53 PM »
Here in New Jersey most in state 4 year institutions, yes even Princeton, will accept community college transfers. On average annual tuition/books and fees at a county college is about 11k. Rutgers annual tuition/books/fees and R&B are about 32k. Getting a BS/BA from Rutgers would cost about 86K if completed with 2 years CC and 2 years at Rutgers.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2024, 02:54:26 PM »
Regarding negotiation:
For my older son, now graduated, when he was transferring out of Fordham (sh1th0le) we attempted to negotiate with his two target schools.
U of New Mexico:  discounted and threw in medical insurance
U of Arizona:  eff u

So, it's worth a try even at state schools, but UNM was accommodating in every way.  UofA - not at all.

"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2024, 08:56:08 AM »
My older daughter was given a decent scholarship from the University of Cincinnati.  Even subtracting it from the cost of out-of-state tuition it made the price very competitive.  (It would have been the second least expensive option after her first choice.)  She ended up cross-town at Xavier which felt like a much better fit for her plus offering an unbelievable scholarship. 

My younger daughter ended up at the University of Vermont despite out-of-state tuition.  They did give her one very large scholarship and a medium sized grant.  We were ticked off when the grant disappeared Sophomore year.  They said it was "needs based" and that income's changed and she didn't need it Sophomore year.  As an A+ nursing major student we're not really worried about extra cost.

Neither daughter had any interest in UConn or the lesser state schools.  Both said too many kids from their HS went to UConn.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 09:04:30 AM »
Regarding negotiation:
For my older son, now graduated, when he was transferring out of Fordham (sh1th0le) we attempted to negotiate with his two target schools.

So, it's worth a try even at state schools, but UNM was accommodating in every way.  UofA - not at all.

This seems like a supply and demand issue. I feel like every kid I talk to would love to go to Arizona, and conversely I have never heard a kid bring up New Mexico.

What didn't you like about Fordham?  My son (HS soph) has some interest there.  Was your son at Rose Hill or Lincoln Center?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2024, 10:07:16 AM »
My older daughter was given a decent scholarship from the University of Cincinnati.  Even subtracting it from the cost of out-of-state tuition it made the price very competitive.  (It would have been the second least expensive option after her first choice.)  She ended up cross-town at Xavier which felt like a much better fit for her plus offering an unbelievable scholarship. 

My younger daughter ended up at the University of Vermont despite out-of-state tuition.  They did give her one very large scholarship and a medium sized grant.  We were ticked off when the grant disappeared Sophomore year.  They said it was "needs based" and that income's changed and she didn't need it Sophomore year.  As an A+ nursing major student we're not really worried about extra cost.

Neither daughter had any interest in UConn or the lesser state schools.  Both said too many kids from their HS went to UConn.

From what I've known of Xavier, they seem to be very generous.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2024, 10:38:03 AM »
Regarding negotiation:

Thats a wild move.  Private city school in major East Coast city to state schools in the literal desert Southwest?

This seems like a supply and demand issue. I feel like every kid I talk to would love to go to Arizona, and conversely I have never heard a kid bring up New Mexico.

What didn't you like about Fordham?  My son (HS soph) has some interest there.  Was your son at Rose Hill or Lincoln Center?

I've heard some not great stuff about Fordham lately, including from a pair of Fordham alums from the 90s/early 2000s who wouldn't encourage their kids to go there.  Rose Hill Campus isn't bad, but its dated and the area surrounding isn't doing great.  I think its suffering a bit the opposite of Marquette which is doing a great job revitalizing the campus.  I think Fordham's focus has been more on the Lincoln Center campus to the detriment of the core campus.

Also, for complaints about the surrounding area for Marquette, you're super close to downtown, Water Street, Third Ward, etc...  Fordham is on an island 60 blocks north of Manhattan/40 blocks north of another campus like Columbia (which is more situated to Manhattan like Marquette/downtown IMO) and a decent hike to get out of the Bronx.  Its not some pearl clutching city scare, its just reality.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 10:42:02 AM by JWags85 »

GOO

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2024, 11:24:16 AM »
My impression is that Marquette has really upped their scholarships over the last few years. I hope they can continue in this direction.

Son was offered 30k off at MU. Very good  4.0+ student and went to a top high school. Case offered about the same but was still way way more expensive. Same with a few other more ‘“prestigious” colleges  - more expensive.  Xavier over 30k etc.  Got scholarship offers above his friends due to grades and high school activities etc.

Makes these schools very competitive with Madison and similar state schools.