[Today at 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[Today at 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL playoffs.  (Read 23656 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NFL playoffs.
« Reply #650 on: February 12, 2024, 06:51:20 PM »
I missed it, how many turnovers did Purdy have?purdy was the least of their problems yesterday. Play calling, special teams, prevent defense on the last drive in the 4th quarter

Purdy was "the least of their problems?" He completed 60% of his passes for an average yard per attempt at 6.7. Those are Justin Fields type numbers. He missed multiple open receivers and was really only effective passing off of a successful running game.

And unlike Fields, he has multiple all pro players around him.  He wasn't their biggest problem for sure, but he wasn't very good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #651 on: February 12, 2024, 07:15:09 PM »
Purdy was "the least of their problems?" He completed 60% of his passes for an average yard per attempt at 6.7. Those are Justin Fields type numbers. He missed multiple open receivers and was really only effective passing off of a successful running game.

And unlike Fields, he has multiple all pro players around him.  He wasn't their biggest problem for sure, but he wasn't very good.
This sums up my feeling:
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/brock-purdy-stats-super-bowl-58-49ers-qb/b0cf35815ea91746fcf1b66b

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #652 on: February 12, 2024, 07:30:52 PM »

This. No turnovers, but also unable to get the ball to anyone outside of screens and check downs to CMC. He was 8/19 to Kittle, Aiyuk, and Deebo. 8/8 to CMC. There are TONS of quarterbacks who would’ve led the 49ers to the Super Bowl. Especially with how the Chiefs played last night.

Honestly the special teams were worse than Purdy. But that’s about the only thing that was worse for the Niners. CMC was his usual great. The OL gave him plenty of time. The defense was great. Purdy stunk.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #653 on: February 12, 2024, 07:32:40 PM »
This sums up my feeling:
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/brock-purdy-stats-super-bowl-58-49ers-qb/b0cf35815ea91746fcf1b66b

Yeah this is really impressive.  ::)

"Purdy didn't force the ball into coverage and didn't hold the ball long enough to succumb to the Chiefs' pass rush. He was sacked only once and avoided throwing an interception. He did miss a few throws, as he did earlier in the NFC playoffs, but he spread the ball around well to multiple targets despite downfield strikes to wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk and George Kittle not being there. The longest completion in the game didn't come until overtime, when running back Christian McCaffrey exploded for a 24-yard burst off a short catch."

He's an OK quarterback and they can obviously win with him given what's around him. I mean, they almost won four years ago with Jimmy Garoppolo.

But as the article said "he did miss a few throws." How can a quarterback that misses a few throws, be "the least of their problems?"
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #654 on: February 12, 2024, 07:35:51 PM »

"Purdy didn't force the ball into coverage and didn't hold the ball long enough to succumb to the Chiefs' pass rush. He was sacked only once and avoided throwing an interception. He did miss a few throws, as he did earlier in the NFC playoffs, but he spread the ball around well to multiple targets despite downfield strikes to wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk and George Kittle not being there. The longest completion in the game didn't come until overtime, when running back Christian McCaffrey exploded for a 24-yard burst off a short catch."

He's an OK quarterback and they can obviously win with him given what's around him. I mean, they almost won four years ago with Jimmy Garoppolo.

But as the article said "he did miss a few throws." How can a quarterback that misses a few throws, be "the least of their problems?"

And for the most part, he had ample time in the pocket.  KC struggled to generate a pass rush without blitzing. 

I’d argue that was another of his issues, not recognizing where the blitz was coming from and fixing protection or finding the hot read.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #655 on: February 12, 2024, 07:41:46 PM »
And for the most part, he had ample time in the pocket.  KC struggled to generate a pass rush without blitzing. 

I’d argue that was another of his issues, not recognizing where the blitz was coming from and fixing protection or finding the hot read.

Right. And some of that will come with experience. But his Quarterback Rating in the playoffs was about 25 points below his regular season rating. Trevor Lawrence-esque.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #656 on: February 12, 2024, 07:46:28 PM »

Right. And some of that will come with experience. But his Quarterback Rating in the playoffs was about 25 points below his regular season rating. Trevor Lawrence-esque.

Will it come with experience?  Maybe. 

49ers had a healthy McCaffrey for most of the year.  Counting on that will be tough.  Kittle and Aiyuk should be good for awhile. 

Niners are the early betting favorite in ‘25, but man, I don’t know

• All American
« Reply #657 on: February 12, 2024, 07:48:21 PM »
I just meant Purdy will read defenses better with experience. I think the Niners are going to be good because they have a lot of talent out there, but yeah I am not sure if Purdy is really the answer there. We will see.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #658 on: February 12, 2024, 07:53:37 PM »
I just meant Purdy will read defenses better with experience. I think the Niners are going to be good because they have a lot of talent out there, but yeah I am not sure if Purdy is really the answer there. We will see.

I have my doubts he gets much better at picking up defenses.  It’s possible.  That lightbulb can go off.  His arm is better than I thought.  That first first down he converted was an incredible pass

The Dongslinger was terrible at it for almost two years before figuring it out, matching the arm talent with brains.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #659 on: February 12, 2024, 07:58:17 PM »
I remember when he got chirped about as an MVP candidate on ESPN earlier in the season, which was silly.  Then he was thoroughly mediocre the next 2 weeks when they lost to the Browns and the Vikings.

He's a great story and good enough to be a low level NFL starter, but the Niners were clearly in trouble when their backs were against the wall and Purdy NEEDED to make big plays.
Purdy did have a great year. He was an MVP candidate for most of the year until Jackson pulled away at the end. He led the league in yards per attempt (9.6), adjusted yards per attempt (9.9), passer rating (113.0), ESPN QBR (72.7), net yards per attempt (8.74), and adjusted net yards per attempt (9.01). By every metric, he was one of the league's best deep-ball passers.

Those calling Purdy a game manager is just lazy.

Purdy not making the plays needed isnt just his fault. Part of it is the playcalling, another part is the All Pro CB on KC, especially with Debo being hurt.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #660 on: February 12, 2024, 08:02:51 PM »

Mahimes.missed so.e throws to, but since they won, all is forgotten.

Things to blame before Purdy
Play calling
Special Teams
penalties
cmc fumble
not deferring in OT

• All American
« Reply #661 on: February 12, 2024, 08:08:08 PM »
???

Mahomes completed 73% of his passes with a ypa almost an entire yard better. He had a higher Quarterback Rating by 11 points despite throwing an INT. He also faced way more pressure than Purdy did for pretty much the entire game.

He was obviously better. Way better. You think it's just because he won? Lol. Cmon...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #662 on: February 12, 2024, 08:17:02 PM »
Purdy did have a great year. He was an MVP candidate for most of the year until Jackson pulled away at the end. He led the league in yards per attempt (9.6), adjusted yards per attempt (9.9), passer rating (113.0), ESPN QBR (72.7), net yards per attempt (8.74), and adjusted net yards per attempt (9.01). By every metric, he was one of the league's best deep-ball passers.

Those calling Purdy a game manager is just lazy.

Purdy not making the plays needed isnt just his fault. Part of it is the playcalling, another part is the All Pro CB on KC, especially with Debo being hurt.

How about the other 2 Playoff games?

He stinks. I’d take JJ McCarthy over him, and I don’t see him doing well in the NFL.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #663 on: February 12, 2024, 08:55:15 PM »
The Super Bowl was the most watched TV event ever.
The psyop was a success.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #664 on: February 12, 2024, 09:42:41 PM »

I blame all the all-stars on offense. It's hard to carry a team with the best players.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #665 on: February 13, 2024, 06:38:58 AM »
The Super Bowl was the most watched TV event ever.
The psyop was a success.

Too bad the league is doomed

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #666 on: February 13, 2024, 08:46:31 AM »
I know the consensus is that the 49ers shouldn't have taken the ball first in OT but I think it was the right call for the 49ers.

I think the likelihood of the 49ers defense holding the chiefs to a FG or turning them over is a lot higher than the likelihood of Purdy leading them into the end zone in OT, even with 4 downs. Given that, their best hope is to win it in sudden death with a FG.

Obviously didn't work out,  but did anyone have faith that the 49ers were going to win it once it got to OT? I think it they were going to win,  it was going to be on a sudden death FG
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #667 on: February 13, 2024, 09:10:14 AM »
I know the consensus is that the 49ers shouldn't have taken the ball first in OT but I think it was the right call for the 49ers.

I think the likelihood of the 49ers defense holding the chiefs to a FG or turning them over is a lot higher than the likelihood of Purdy leading them into the end zone in OT, even with 4 downs. Given that, their best hope is to win it in sudden death with a FG.

Obviously didn't work out,  but did anyone have faith that the 49ers were going to win it once it got to OT? I think it they were going to win,  it was going to be on a sudden death FG

I think the value of the knowledge of how they approach fourth downs is greater than all of that.

For instance, what would have KC done on the fourth and short deep in their territory had they had the ball first?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 09:13:07 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #668 on: February 13, 2024, 09:35:26 AM »

I think the value of the knowledge of how they approach fourth downs is greater than all of that.

For instance, what would have KC done on the fourth and short deep in their territory had they had the ball first?
And SF had a3rd and 4 at the KC 9. Different play calls?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #669 on: February 13, 2024, 09:40:54 AM »
Can't play for a hypothetical series that may never happen.  That's insane.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #670 on: February 13, 2024, 09:56:00 AM »
According to Yahoo Sports, Taylor Swift was shown on screen for a total of 54 seconds during the CBS telecast.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #671 on: February 13, 2024, 10:04:23 AM »
According to Yahoo Sports, Taylor Swift was shown on screen for a total of 54 seconds during the CBS telecast.

It’s a shame millions of Americans boycotted the broadcast considering who little she was on the screen

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #672 on: February 13, 2024, 10:13:28 AM »

100%

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #673 on: February 13, 2024, 10:14:17 AM »
And SF had a3rd and 4 at the KC 9. Different play calls?

Yep.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #674 on: February 13, 2024, 11:03:00 AM »
Too bad the league is doomed

Along with cable and ESPN.

Sports fans are doomed.