Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dealing with Physicality  (Read 2479 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Dealing with Physicality
« on: January 06, 2024, 01:46:39 PM »
I don't think we're doing a particularly good job of fighting through some physical play.  I don't know if it's mentality but we were able to punch back more forcefully last season.  TyKo on several occasions has visibly been frustrated and it has taken him out of his game imo.  Our lack of poise and decision making at times has really hurt us.  I don't quite understand why this has been an issue to this point. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Dealing with Physicality
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 01:47:53 PM »
Yes, poise is a big issue, Shaka also mentioned it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 02:42:03 PM »

The lack of poise is not team wide, imo. There are guys trying to do too much and making key mistakes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 02:46:24 PM »
The poise has to come from the best backcourt in the country.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 02:52:42 PM »

The lack of poise is not team wide, imo. There are guys trying to do too much and making key mistakes.

I agree, but when lack of poise comes from your AA and two other starters, it’s tough to overcome.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 03:02:59 PM »
I know I can overreact but Kam's shooting over the last few weeks has been a bit concerning.  Because he's getting open looks.  We're at our best when he's an efficient scorer. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 03:24:55 PM »
I know I can overreact but Kam's shooting over the last few weeks has been a bit concerning.  Because he's getting open looks.  We're at our best when he's an efficient scorer.

He has to keep shooting Muggsy. If he plays he shoots.

The bigger problem with Kam imo is that he’s not getting buckets at the rim like he did last year.

Tyler is off the ball more, he gets less of these looks, he hasn’t been as good at the rim and now he’s cold.

The shooting will come back

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 03:28:59 PM »
He has to keep shooting Muggsy. If he plays he shoots.

The bigger problem with Kam imo is that he’s not getting buckets at the rim like he did last year.

Tyler is off the ball more, he gets less of these looks, he hasn’t been as good at the rim and now he’s cold.

The shooting will come back

Agreed. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 04:35:50 PM »
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 04:36:54 PM »
Kam is taking the 3's he is expected to make.    The drives are not falling.   Contact at the rim is disrupting right now.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 04:41:38 PM »
I know I can overreact

Indeed…..indeed.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 05:56:55 PM »
Agreed.

Our offense runs far more smoothly when Tyler is the point, not off the ball.   Don’t know why we are doing this now.    And yes. We have trouble with physical teams, and they will all be physical.  The refs are letting them
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 06:06:04 PM by Daniel »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 06:23:18 PM »
Our offense runs far more smoothly when Tyler is the point, not off the ball.   Don’t know why we are doing this now.    And yes. We have trouble with physical teams, and they will all be physical.  The refs are letting them
It is done by design as I said, if you don't understand I don't know what to say. Shaka is doing it to take away the P&R D on oso TKO

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 03:21:51 PM »
It is done by design as I said, if you don't understand I don't know what to say. Shaka is doing it to take away the P&R D on oso TKO

I'm confused here.  When Stockton & Malone ran the P&R weren't defenses designed to stop it?   Aren't there options B and C in the P&R with Tyler/Oso?  We want the ball in the hands of our best players down the stretch.  Correct?  You demand the fking ball, attack with precision and a sense of purpose, impose your will, and slam the door during crunch-time as leaders of the team.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 03:42:27 PM »

Maybe he doesn’t want elite NCAAt coaches to have the film on it from this season, making it harder to stop when it’s implemented more during the final stretch of the season?

It’s obvious that Shaka values the opposition having less data available to game plan- see the no live footage in Italy and secret scrimmage stuff.

When you’ve had as cold of a stretch as Shaka has had in the NCAAs in recent hx and lost as many close ones as he has you’re probably thinking on multiple levels to try something a bit more unique to get over the hump, and maybe this is one of them?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 06:54:13 PM »
I know I can overreact

Stop attacking yourself!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 08:46:09 PM »
Lack of an OMAX type player certainly doesn't help

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 09:42:44 PM »
The poise has to come from the best backcourt in the country.

100%

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 10:31:34 AM »
Make shots and physical play becomes less of an issue. Make shots, get a lead and dictate the flow of the game. In last three losses, a lesser team dictated the flow of the game.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 10:57:39 AM »
Yep.  It really is that simple.  These guys are good enough, especially our starting back court to get the job done.  Shaka had the percentages with him to bet on this backcourt and Oso and development from others.  RGV looks prescient if the guys who are supposed to play well and make shots, make shots.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2024, 01:13:51 PM »
I'm confused here.  When Stockton & Malone ran the P&R weren't defenses designed to stop it?   Aren't there options B and C in the P&R with Tyler/Oso?  We want the ball in the hands of our best players down the stretch.  Correct?  You demand the fking ball, attack with precision and a sense of purpose, impose your will, and slam the door during crunch-time as leaders of the team.
MU does not have Stockton or Malone

feedback