[Today at 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[Today at 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Longhorns Forum  (Read 10156 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Texas Longhorns Forum
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2023, 11:11:54 AM »
I'm not as willing to give Texas a pass on the "bad matchup" with ACU, as that's a pretty lame excuse for a team with significant talent and size advantages; nor on the FTs made by the bad shooter, because a game against the likes of ACU (which subsequently lost by 20 to UCLA) shouldn't come down to that.

Sorry, I phrased that poorly. It was terrible execution rather than the matchup, but I think Texas came in primed to see a team like UCLA who they would've played next and wasn't ready for a game that was frankly just ugly on both sides. There's definitely some coaching and prep blame to be cast there, so I'm not saying Shaka is wholly innocent, but I do think he was very unfortunate not just in how that game went but essentially losing 4 straight single possession/OT games in the NCAA Tournament.

Upsets will happen, so losing one isn't that big a deal in the long run, and 50/50 games go the wrong way, so losing one also isn't a big deal in the long run, but losing five in essentially the same fashion shows they were prepared enough to be competitive but ultimately got unlucky a ton. I have a feeling that had 2-3 of those flipped the other way, there would be at least 1-2 additional second or third weekend appearances, but there weren't and those are the breaks. Texas' loss is our gain.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2023, 12:04:56 PM »
Sorry, I phrased that poorly. It was terrible execution rather than the matchup, but I think Texas came in primed to see a team like UCLA who they would've played next and wasn't ready for a game that was frankly just ugly on both sides. There's definitely some coaching and prep blame to be cast there, so I'm not saying Shaka is wholly innocent, but I do think he was very unfortunate not just in how that game went but essentially losing 4 straight single possession/OT games in the NCAA Tournament.

Upsets will happen, so losing one isn't that big a deal in the long run, and 50/50 games go the wrong way, so losing one also isn't a big deal in the long run, but losing five in essentially the same fashion shows they were prepared enough to be competitive but ultimately got unlucky a ton. I have a feeling that had 2-3 of those flipped the other way, there would be at least 1-2 additional second or third weekend appearances, but there weren't and those are the breaks. Texas' loss is our gain.

Reasonable. I won't argue with any of it ... especially the last sentence!

Soon enough, after Shaka has gotten us to at least one Final Four, Texas can enjoy their third coach since ACU did us the biggest favor imaginable.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2023, 12:11:27 PM »
Just like the condition of attending a specific university can not be a part of NIL ...

Our team has Wojo’s fingerprints all over it. He largely designed this, and is winning when we win. #PraiseDue

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2023, 12:42:05 PM »

Soon enough, after Shaka has gotten us to at least one Final Four, Texas can enjoy their third coach since ACU did us the biggest favor imaginable.

Buzz is waiting for that call.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2023, 02:45:50 PM »

I still think the best part of the story is Joe Golding, the ACU coach that beat Shaka. Here's why:

1) Golding beats Shaka, leading Smart to leave Texas for Marquette.
2) Chris Beard leaves Texas Tech for Texas.
3) Beard hires UTEP coach Rodney Terry, creating a coaching vacancy, filled by...
4) Joe Golding, whose win over Smart indirectly led to the vacancy he filled & raise he received in the process.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2023, 10:24:43 PM »
And every one of those coaches was under a long-term contract with his team. Tells you all you need to know about coaching contracts, and why I root for athletes to get every $$$ they can.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2023, 10:49:04 PM »
And every one of those coaches was under a long-term contract with his team. Tells you all you need to know about coaching contracts, and why I root for athletes to get every $$$ they can.

Disagree on the students, but coaching contracts, yeah. Always been like that. “Locked up coach so and so for X years!”  Uhhh, no
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback