'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wake Up Call  (Read 6133 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Wake Up Call
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2023, 02:33:08 PM »
No, him shooting 3s is objectively a problem.

And while he has improved forsure, most of his damage is against cupcakes. Those stats were also shown on a thread.

Lets just be objective. Sean Jones should not shoot at all, and sure as sh it should never have as many 3s in a half as Kam.

It’s not though. It might be a problem game to game but if he’s hitting in practice and they think he’s a 30%+ three point shooter, the only way through the slump and to build confidence is to keep shooting.

And if he starts hitting it adds another dimension.

If we play 15 more games and he’s still struggling mightily, then it’s a problem.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2023, 02:34:16 PM »
It’s ridiculous. Dude shoots 22% and thinks he’s got the green light. Had 4 wide open looks and bricked them all. There’s a reason you’re open. Needs to stop

Sean Jones is 2 for 19 on threes at a 10.5% rate.  He could shoot 4 for 50 and posters will continue to bring up the one shot he made against UCLA, also his last made three. 

At least Mitchell only took one three today, he is 3 for 20 so far at a 15% rate.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2023, 02:35:34 PM »
Other posters have made the point that teams are guarding Kam close and taking away his three point shot, which means others have to step-up and hit some open looks.  I'll look at the stats for Kolek, but my impression is "meh," and Jop . . . I'll say nothing further because it would be cruel.  Gold makes me cringe when he squares up to shoot. 

There is not a lot there at the moment, and it is a BIG concern.

"I look at the stats for Kolek but my impression is "meh"".

This is so beyond stupid it's hard to comprehend. 

As for Gold, he has good form but needs more arc.  He hit 2 today. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2023, 02:35:45 PM »
But you cant just bomb away at 15% just because and pray it gets Kam shots later. We get boat raced.

Also Chase and Ben have good form for the most part and also have games where keeping the d honest and utilizing a shot fake helps to take some 3s.

Stevie is a off ball guard and finds himself wide open in the corner. While its quite embarrassing he cant hit the broad side of the barn on those right now, you basically have to take that shot.

Sean constantly has the ball in his hands. Constantly takes early in the shot clock 3s off his own damn dribble. And he CANT SHOOT. There is a massive difference.

His shot against UCLA was objectively bad. Thank god it was 1 of the 2 he made.

You’re absolutely not wrong. For me, everyone shoots, keep shooting. Sean should be a drive and pass first player, but he has to shoot when open. The only person that shouldn’t shoot is Jop, I kid I kid, he just gets me all worked up. Even Jop, who can sort of shoot, takes ridiculous attempts, but I still say shoot the first best open shot.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2023, 02:36:40 PM »
It’s not though. It might be a problem game to game but if he’s hitting in practice and they think he’s a 30%+ three point shooter, the only way through the slump and to build confidence is to keep shooting.

And if he starts hitting it adds another dimension.

If we play 15 more games and he’s still struggling mightily, then it’s a problem.

Wait, so if a guy is hitting them in practice just keep shooting even if you never make them??

He has TWO in EIGHT games.

Thats not 2 for 8. Thats two in 8 whole goddamn games.

This is not an arugment. Any objective measure says the guy should never at any point take 4 3s in a game. WTF is going on here.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2023, 02:41:42 PM »
According to ESPN, Kolek was 20% from three against the Bad gers, but is an outstanding 52.4% on the year. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2023, 03:08:21 PM »
Wait, so if a guy is hitting them in practice just keep shooting even if you never make them??

This is not an arugment. Any objective measure says the guy should never at any point take 4 3s in a game. WTF is going on here.
It’s friggin hilarious they ran a play for him late for the a corner 3 wtf

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2023, 03:09:45 PM »
Kolek, Jones, and Jop are consistent 3-point threats (aside from Jop being awful today).

The problem is the other guys taking shots from deep have been HORRENDOUS.  I think Ben and Chase will come around there but Sean needs to stop taking them completely at this point.

Ben was 2-4 from 3 and saw 6 total minutes. I'm baffled by that.

Rotations were insanely bad today.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2023, 03:16:46 PM »

So you just make him a complete non factor as a shooter? We don’t beat UCLA without Sean hitting a three. Maybe Illinois too but that’s probably a reach.

I’m agreeing on a game to game basis Sean shooting threes is bad. But if we want to make a final four he needs to start hitting. Which means he needs to keep shooting them.

Superfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2023, 03:17:12 PM »
That’s because Ben can’t guard my shadow. And I’m slower than hell.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2023, 03:17:49 PM »
So you just make him a complete non factor as a shooter? We don’t beat UCLA without Sean hitting a three. Maybe Illinois too but that’s probably a reach.

I’m agreeing on a game to game basis Sean shooting threes is bad. But if we want to make a final four he needs to start hitting. Which means he needs to keep shooting them.

I mean they don’t have to make him one….

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2023, 03:22:39 PM »
Ben was 2-4 from 3 and saw 6 total minutes. I'm baffled by that.

Well, there is the other end of the floor to consider.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2023, 03:25:39 PM »
Badgers will most likely enter the top 20 now. They play zona and Michigan state this coming week. Point is if they win that they will enter the top 10. No harm in losing on the road to a top 20 team. Games are never easy but everyone is acting like we just lost to DePaul by 30 at home

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2023, 03:30:39 PM »
Jop might be the most inconsistent player I’ve ever seen. It’s maddening. Let him go back to sixth man, come in, shake things up, make a three or two without having to expend effort on D right away, see what happens. I’m not a fan, wasn’t last year either, but he was better in his role then than he is as a starter

I agree with this analysis.  Gold (despite his 3 fouls) should have gotten more than 6 minutes today.  Brutal mistake by Shaka - reminiscent of the Michigan State NCAA game.  I feel Zaide would bring just as much and likely more to the game than Joplin at this point too.  Shaka of course love Joplin and wants to reward his dedication and hard work, but sometimes there just isn't enough athleticism to be able to effectively consistently compete at this level.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2023, 03:33:19 PM »
Wisconsin just wants this game more than we do.  They played like it from the opening tip today.  Very maddening. I wish our guys wanted this game as much as most of us fans do. 

The loss in and of itself bothers me little. Lot of season left.  But the effort and focus today was abysmal. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2023, 03:42:24 PM »
Shot selection was poor today. Part of that was Wisconsin’s defense, the other part was self-inflicted.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2023, 03:46:22 PM »
I agree with this analysis.  Gold (despite his 3 fouls) should have gotten more than 6 minutes today.  Brutal mistake by Shaka - reminiscent of the Michigan State NCAA game.  I feel Zaide would bring just as much and likely more to the game than Joplin at this point too.  Shaka of course love Joplin and wants to reward his dedication and hard work, but sometimes there just isn't enough athleticism to be able to effectively consistently compete at this level.

Oh god. This again?

Because Zaide showed athleticism against Southern (I repeat, against SOUTHERN for God’s sake) he should be eating into a starter’s minutes?

Maybe, you know, these guys who are paid millions to make these decisions and see the guys hours every day have a better idea than you based off of a(n extremely) low major.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2023, 03:47:10 PM »
Sean Jones has won us more than one game this year. I can live with his missed shots, he’s been a major net + and is NOT the problem

I agree with this analysis.  No problem with Sean taking open 3's.  Did not like one he took without any passing in the possession, but others were fine.

Jop going 1-9 from 3 today killed us.  Will be really hard to win against good teams if Jop continues to get max minutes, and continues to struggle offensively (95 O-Rating for the season).

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2023, 03:50:12 PM »
Oh god. This again?

Because Zaide showed athleticism against Southern (I repeat, against SOUTHERN for God’s sake) he should be eating into a starter’s minutes?

Maybe, you know, these guys who are paid millions to make these decisions and see the guys hours every day have a better idea than you based off of a(n extremely) low major.

Yes, because Zaide has the requisite athleticism to be able to compete consistently at this level, and has a very good shooting stroke too.   Zaide got 7 rebounds in 14 minutes against Southern (and IDGAF if they are a low major), this team needs an injection of additional athleticism/rebounding and Zaide can provide that.

But, carry on with your mentality of thinking it's better to do nothing than to make a change.  Suits you well.

panda

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2023, 03:51:04 PM »
Quite frankly the most pathetic effort I’ve seen from a Shaka Marquette team so far.

Thankful it’s early in the season heading into another big week so they can use it as motivation.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 03:53:59 PM by panda »

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2023, 03:53:27 PM »
Ross or Gold could easily start next game at the 4 spot.

If either of them stop fouling.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2023, 03:59:55 PM »
Yes, because Zaide has the requisite athleticism to be able to compete consistently at this level, and has a very good shooting stroke too.   Zaide got 7 rebounds in 14 minutes against Southern (and IDGAF if they are a low major), this team needs an injection of additional athleticism/rebounding and Zaide can provide that.

But, carry on with your mentality of thinking it's better to do nothing than to make a change.  Suits you well.

lol. Yes. Zaide’s 7 rebounds against SOUTHERN (not Southern Cal…SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY) proves he can CONSISTENTLY compete at “this level.” But Jop, the Sixth Man of the BE conference last year, cannot compete at this level.

Shaka has to go. Ners for player coach. He dunks on people, so he has the requisite athleticism to compete unlike David Joplin.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2023, 04:15:12 PM »
Ners gonna ners.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2023, 04:29:10 PM »
So, as mentioned, not a Jop fan. But as I sit and rehash the game it sort of dawned on me that maybe Jop isn’t the issue. He is paid big bucks to make wide open, catch and shoot threes. That’s all he can do, but is sort of good at it in the perfect situation. Perhaps we need to run specific plays for him to get the corner three, or tell him to stop driving to the bucket, come to a complete stop, keep his back to the basket, pivot once or twice, lose the ball or make a poor pass out. So, either he is used for the one thing he can do, or he has to sit. Maybe it’s on Shaka, and I love Shaka.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2023, 04:37:13 PM »
Quite frankly the most pathetic effort I’ve seen from a Shaka Marquette team so far.

Thankful it’s early in the season heading into another big week so they can use it as motivation.
This year yes by far. All time? Have you forgotten the UNC calamity of the age?