[Today at 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[Today at 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tremendous Win!!  (Read 5073 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tremendous Win!!
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2023, 01:16:03 AM »
it's pretty remarkable we only had 7 turns.  So after the first 5 mins we had like 3 for the rest of the game? At the pace we play at that's impressive. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2023, 01:16:28 AM »
I live Stevie, but I honestly think he’s too smart for his own good with that 4.0gpa.

A good post for the Trump era.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2023, 01:17:05 AM »
I’m fine giving Stevie the honorary start, but Chase and Sean need to be playing the majority of second halves in close games. We can’t afford to play 4 on 5 on offense and he’s not big enough to earn his way on the defensive end.

Why do you think Sean is going to replace Stevie because of his offense?  Thats ludicrous until proven otherwise. Chase is the guy if that happens.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2023, 01:18:08 AM »
Wow I'm amped!  I think I need to calm down a bit. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2023, 01:19:20 AM »
Careful what you wish for with Dickinson's size plus Kansas natural talent. But im looking forward to playing them tomorrow.

I think game wise they will be a better fit for us to play than Illinois and Kansas(Edit. UCLA) where we had to fight big defensive teams.

Better chance we get boat raced if the self inflicted missed bunnies/free throws or wide open 3s continue. But we also have a depth edge and there should be a good consistent pace to the game.

Tk better be ready for another battle though. Probably wont get smacked from all over tomorrow, but hes gonna get all he can handle from 1 guy. Harris.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 01:33:04 AM by PGsHeroes32 »
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2023, 01:19:37 AM »

Seems out of character for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2023, 01:21:03 AM »

Huh. Normally we call you Capt. Calm.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2023, 01:31:02 AM »
Careful what you wish for with Dickinson's size plus Kansas natural talent. But im looking forward to playing them tomorrow.

I think game wise they will be a better fit for us to play than Illinois and Kansas where we had to fight big defensive teams.

Better chance we get boat raced if the self inflicted missed bunnies/free throws or wide open 3s continue. But we also have a depth edge and there should be a good consistent pace to the game.

Tk better be ready for another battle though. Probably wont get smacked from all over tomorrow, but hes gonna get all he can handle from 1 guy. Harris.

They will be ready and hit more threes than they did tonight vs UCLA. Even if they don’t win it’s a great measuring stick. Illinois and UCLA are probably 4/5 seeds at best come March. Kansas , Purdue and Tennessee are 1 and 2 seeds at worst. The next two games are absolutely crucial in terms of development of the program. It’s quite possible to say after Wednesday that Marquette is back.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2023, 01:37:52 AM »
Why do you think Sean is going to replace Stevie because of his offense?  Thats ludicrous until proven otherwise. Chase is the guy if that happens.

I didnt say Sean was going to replace Stevie. I said Chase and Sean. And Sean gives you basically the same defense with the ability to break down a defense by driving the lane.

Stevie will have his games undoubtedly. But I think tonight showed he’s going to be the eighth man instead of the fifth man.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2023, 01:39:12 AM »
Howards

The program is already back. Obviously next two games are big and only enhance the program’s reputation nationally.

Best part for me, there are probably several different ideas of being back means on here based off of age. I can say with a high degree of confidence this is the best place the program has been in 46 years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2023, 01:47:56 AM »
He couldn’t attack inside because of UCLA’s size.  He’ll continue to be a major contributor.

This. Stevie's at his best when cutting in the paint. Last two opponents clogged the paint. There will be future games where he has a lot more room to operate
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2023, 01:52:58 AM »
Stevie has been cut off the past two games and that is basketball. There are going to be plenty of games that he gets to the basket and does his thing. Good news, MU has plenty of options to offset down nights by individual guys.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2023, 07:28:19 AM »
I was over looking at Reddit and saw these statements:
  • "I'm bummed UCLA couldn't force OT, but overall I am really happy with how the team looked. Still plenty of stuff to work out, but this young team just took the number 4 team in the country to the buzzer. Lots to be excited about."
  • "That was a really good game. Our inexperience really showed in the second half. I guess you can’t give up a 17-0 run to the #4 team in the country and expect to win."
  • "We've been warning that this team will look bad and raw early on. We're so far ahead of schedule if that's what we can do to a very experienced and talented Marquette squad that swept UConn last year."

These are statements by UC-freaking-LA fans about Marquette. For those of us who weren't around for the Al years, process that. Fans of one of the original blue blood programs counting a close loss to Marquette as a moral victory.

This is a team to be reckoned with. This is a team with title aspirations. Let's go Warriors!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2023, 07:33:33 AM »
Good news, MU has plenty of options to offset down nights by individual guys.

Yep. And Shaka has a very good read on who should play in which situations. With the role players, he likes the "hot hand" theory - which can also apply to defense - and he's outstanding at using it.

• "I'm bummed UCLA couldn't force OT, but overall I am really happy with how the team looked. Still plenty of stuff to work out, but this young team just took the number 4 team in the country to the buzzer. Lots to be excited about."
  • "That was a really good game. Our inexperience really showed in the second half. I guess you can’t give up a 17-0 run to the #4 team in the country and expect to win."
  • "We've been warning that this team will look bad and raw early on. We're so far ahead of schedule if that's what we can do to a very experienced and talented Marquette squad that swept UConn last year."

These are statements by UC-freaking-LA fans about Marquette. For those of us who weren't around for the Al years, process that. Fans of one of the original blue blood programs counting a close loss to Marquette as a moral victory.

This is a team to be reckoned with. This is a team with title aspirations. Let's go Warriors!

Thanks for posting that. Love seeing that kind of respect on a national scale.

We Are Marquette!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2023, 07:34:55 AM »
UCLA played Cronin defense.   When they learn how to play together on offense they will be scary.

Great win.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2023, 07:35:59 AM »
I wouldn't give up on Stevie.  From my observations he gains confidence when he gets a chippie or two during the course of the game.  There's no doubt he had a very rough night but I think he's more than capable of bouncing back.
yes. He needs to be a lock-down defender. His offense should come off slashes in the lane and steals.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2023, 07:39:48 AM »
Much discussion before this game was that UCLA played the weakest schedule in the country through 3 games. Many of us fans including myself expected a comfortable win last night and it just didnt happen. UCLA is young but I expect them to compete with Arizona for the Pac-12. The probably won't win it but I could see them as a 4/5 seed come tournament time.

Anything to keep adding to the resume. This should remain a Quad 1 win throughout the year. 

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2023, 07:41:25 AM »
I wouldn't give up on Stevie.  From my observations he gains confidence when he gets a chippie or two during the course of the game.  There's no doubt he had a very rough night but I think he's more than capable of bouncing back.

Agreed. Bummer that for all the off season talk about significant shot improvement, his threes are way off. Still think last night was less about benching him than riding Sean and Chase. They were so disruptive to UCLA; far more than any of the starters. Props to Shaka for deviating from the normal rotation.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2023, 07:44:53 AM »
I think come tournament seeding time, this win will have aged quite well. UCLA has a lot of talent and are well coached. They'll figure it out and they'll be tough.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2023, 07:55:43 AM »

Yep! Nice to be the team everyone wants to upset; and if we win tonight, I'll be upset if they call us beating Kansas an upset.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2023, 08:01:33 AM »
StillaWarrior

The last two wins are going to look very good down the road. Those were two very good teams that MU beat away from home and another step towards the ultimate goal.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2023, 08:23:17 AM »
The toughness of this group was incredibly impressive last night.  Most teams would have crumbled but we stayed confident and connected.  We also scored 17 straight in like 3 mins.  Do not take for granted the spurtability we possess in times of danger and Shaka's ability get the best out of our guys when we need it.   

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2023, 08:51:18 AM »
Not to be a downer, but 55% on free throws is not going to cut it most nights. We played through it against UCLA. But you simply can't leave that many points on the floor and be an elite team.

If we make free throws, this was a coast to a double digit win, not a nailbiter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2023, 09:02:36 AM »
Did anyone else happen to catch Cronin mentioning at halftime - kind of casual and in passing - "Kam Jones looks hurt"?

I didn't really notice anything during the game but I only started looking for it in the second half. He was moving pretty well out there, hit a 3 and a Kam-special twisting layup, before foul trouble curtailed his PT (and eventually ended his night).

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2023, 09:07:18 AM »
Did anyone else happen to catch Cronin mentioning at halftime - kind of casual and in passing - "Kam Jones looks hurt"?

I didn't really notice anything during the game but I only started looking for it in the second half. He was moving pretty well out there, hit a 3 and a Kam-special twisting layup, before foul trouble curtailed his PT (and eventually ended his night).

Yes. Cronin mentioned that to the Courtside reporter at halftime. He looked OK to me.

feedback