Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread  (Read 212174 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread
« Reply #1275 on: January 19, 2024, 06:49:21 PM »
I’m guessing Illinois will not, though.

Are they still able to not play him? My reading is that the TRO was granted against Illinois suspending him. I guess they can’t force Underwood to play him even if he’s eligible, but that’s a pretty brutal position to put Underwood in. I’m lighting the TAMU beacon to explain it like I’m an idiot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1276 on: January 19, 2024, 07:40:50 PM »
No idea what happened with such a similar roster, but MSU is hilariously bad.
Izzo called a play against Minnesota's 3-2 zone that may have been the best zone breaker I have seen recently.  And if everybody starts doing it, it could end the 3-2 zone.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1277 on: January 20, 2024, 09:18:24 AM »
Are they still able to not play him? My reading is that the TRO was granted against Illinois suspending him. I guess they can’t force Underwood to play him even if he’s eligible, but that’s a pretty brutal position to put Underwood in. I’m lighting the TAMU beacon to explain it like I’m an idiot.
What a weird and uncomfortable situation for everyone. The university clearly does not want him there; and "are continuing to review the court order", to possibly appeal?

I would have thought if UofI wanted him back but had their hands tied by university policies, they would have been excited by the TRO and accept it as a final determination.

I wonder if he ultimately steps away due to lack of support by appealing the TRO, Underwood not playing him if Brad is privy to evidence and/or women's groups pressuring and protesting. 

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1278 on: January 20, 2024, 10:30:56 AM »
I wouldn't assume that the university does not want him there. U of I was pretty much obligated to put on some sort of defense to its decision to suspend Shannon. As was pointed out earlier, U of I was in bind on this one. I had been convinced that Shannon was going to lose his TRO. I was surprised to learn from the opinion that there are separate policies for athletes and regular students, and the regular student process has due process components that are not present in the athlete policy. The judge noted that Shannon may still end up suspended but he is entitled to the due process components that regular students are entitled to because, after all, he is a student first (theoretically). The U of I just started the investigative part of the student due process policy on January 6. How fast that proceeds will be a clue as to the university position on whether it wants him there or not. My guess is Underwood is pretty much obligated to play him close to the same amount of minutes he was being played prior to the suspension or Shannon will be back before the judge forcing Underwood's hand.

I will defer to TAMU's read if he decides to jump in here.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1279 on: January 20, 2024, 10:53:44 AM »
Can walk ons sue schools for not playing them?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1280 on: January 20, 2024, 11:04:33 AM »
He is not obligated to play him. He isn't even obligated to put him on the roster. Illinois will likely be obligated to honor his scholarship if he continues to be enrolled.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1281 on: January 20, 2024, 11:08:48 AM »
I wouldn't assume that the university does not want him there. U of I was pretty much obligated to put on some sort of defense to its decision to suspend Shannon. As was pointed out earlier, U of I was in bind on this one. I had been convinced that Shannon was going to lose his TRO. I was surprised to learn from the opinion that there are separate policies for athletes and regular students, and the regular student process has due process components that are not present in the athlete policy. The judge noted that Shannon may still end up suspended but he is entitled to the due process components that regular students are entitled to because, after all, he is a student first (theoretically). The U of I just started the investigative part of the student due process policy on January 6. How fast that proceeds will be a clue as to the university position on whether it wants him there or not. My guess is Underwood is pretty much obligated to play him close to the same amount of minutes he was being played prior to the suspension or Shannon will be back before the judge forcing Underwood's hand.

Fair enough. I just found it interesting that the university is continuing to review the TRO decision and not just accepting the decision and moving forward.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1282 on: January 20, 2024, 01:23:47 PM »
Texas beats Baylor. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1283 on: January 20, 2024, 01:24:24 PM »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1284 on: January 20, 2024, 01:25:04 PM »
Texas beats Baylor.

Baylor’s second loss of the week. Lots of teams lost this week including the badgers to an abysmal Penn State. MU should be moving up.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #1285 on: January 20, 2024, 01:57:27 PM »
Never been so annoyed with a player that dominates like Edey. The guy throws elbows constantly, has guys get called constantly for fouls on him and yet he has 0 fouls at halftime. It’s literally impossible to be that big and never get called for a foul.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1286 on: January 20, 2024, 02:00:59 PM »
Texas beats Baylor.

I like that result, and would like to see Texas put it together over the next month.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1287 on: January 20, 2024, 03:29:14 PM »
Only 10 min in

But UCLA punching Zona in the mouth
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1288 on: January 20, 2024, 04:44:54 PM »
Only 10 min in

But UCLA punching Zona in the mouth

Update:

UCLA up 11 with 10 minutes left.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 05:51:38 PM by Juan Anderson's Mixtape »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1289 on: January 20, 2024, 04:45:35 PM »
Kansas down 5 at West Virginia with 6 minutes left.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1290 on: January 20, 2024, 05:26:13 PM »
Uodate:

UCLA up 11 with 10 minutes left.

Zona won the stretch run

Cronin def does seem to have been big issue tho

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1291 on: January 20, 2024, 05:52:35 PM »
Kansas loses at West Virginia.
Zona won the stretch run

Cronin def does seem to have been big issue tho

Impressive comeback by Arizona.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1292 on: January 20, 2024, 09:27:59 PM »
Thank you Pitt. 

1SE

• All American
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1294 on: January 20, 2024, 09:31:53 PM »
Thank you Pitt.

Duke is a weak team playing a Mickey Mouse schedule. Their resume is a joke compared to MU’s. No business being #7.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1295 on: January 20, 2024, 09:37:32 PM »
Duke is a weak team playing a Mickey Mouse schedule. Their resume is a joke compared to MU’s. No business being #7.

They're 11th on Kenpom for some reason.  The only team they have beaten is Baylor. 

1SE

• All American
« Reply #1296 on: January 20, 2024, 09:42:41 PM »

ACC is a joke
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1297 on: January 21, 2024, 12:51:17 AM »

Regarding playing time for Shannon, as of now, they can continue to not play him. The TRO means that he must be allowed to attend classes and receive any other educational benefit that he was previously receiving. Playing time, hell even practice time, is not an educational benefit.

All that being said, lawsuits have been attempted before in similar situations trying to force schools to play players. To my knowledge, none have been successful. I mean, imagine the logistics of that. Judge issues a court order saying a player must play X number of minutes a game. What if the player has a bad night? Or picks up 3 fouls in the first half? I don't think any judge would be eager to intervene....But....I'm not aware of a similar situation with this high profile of an athlete. Shannon may have an easier time arguing the damage a lack of playing time is having on him. Draw the right judge and convince them that not playing Shannon is a punishment without due process....I've seen crazier decisions.

I don't know what Illinois will do here. I thought they might just play the "well we tried to do the right thing but that darn judge says we have to play him" card. But their initial reaction leads me to think that they'll continue to sit him. It shouldn't be this way, but I imagine the details of the criminal case will play a role in the decision. Not all DAs are the same, but my experience with most DAs is that they will not issue an arrest warrant on a sexual assault case unless they think it is a winner. Criminal sexual assault is very difficult to prove. If the DA thinks they could win, I doubt the details are good.

I was floored when I read that piece. It is incredibly stupid to have separate processes for athletes and non-athletes. For more reasons than just this. That was a common practice 10-15 years ago, but the vast majority of universities have moved away from that. Irresponsible on U of I's part.

There are very clear requirements for suspending a student for a Title IX violation prior to a finding that are  detailed in the Trump-era regulations (which are still in effect now). Without going into the weeds too much, universities are required to a do a hearing that both the complainant and respondent have the right to participate in and make a decision on the necessity of punishing the respondent prior the respondent being found responsible and a certain standard needs to be met. If Illinois skipped this because of his status as an athlete, than the TRO is absolutely warranted.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: January 21, 2024, 12:13:42 PM »
Well, hes currently playing immediately

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1299 on: January 21, 2024, 12:30:01 PM »
Well, hes currently playing immediately
…therefore…hopefully he’ll hit the game winner to beat Wisconsin