[Today at 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[Today at 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recommendations for Return to Campus  (Read 10054 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Recommendations for Return to Campus
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2023, 07:05:28 PM »
January 10.   I predict that Goolsby's will again disappoint me.    ;)

The Mecca has plenty of room for your types

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2023, 07:07:50 PM »
The Mecca has plenty of room for your types
Do they serve diet Pepsi?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2023, 07:08:04 PM »
January 10.   I predict that Goolsby's will again disappoint me.    ;)

See you there.

panda

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2023, 07:15:39 PM »
Do they serve diet Pepsi?

Sultan will personally serve it to you

tower912

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2023, 07:16:52 PM »
Done deal.

Upon further review, Coke products.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2023, 07:34:52 PM »
Goolsby's has Pepsi.  It will get a second  chance.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2023, 08:49:01 PM »
See you there.

Will your wallet accompany you?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2023, 08:06:56 PM »
After the game go to Elsa’s on the Park . 833 North Jefferson .  I like the seasoned broccoli Appetizer ( its a good size ) and The Pork Chop APV 
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2023, 09:11:22 PM »
Has anyone been to The Trade, the new hotel just North of the Fiserv?

Today we met up with some friends who were staying there, and it was beautiful.  The downstairs bar was very cool (and had had dozens of beers on tap).  We had dinner at the rooftop restaurant, and that was very nice as well.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2023, 09:16:12 PM »

Today we met up with some friends who were staying there, and it was beautiful.  The downstairs bar was very cool (and had had dozens of beers on tap).  We had dinner at the rooftop restaurant, and that was very nice as well.

Haven't stayed, but have been to both the bar and restaurant for a meal and it's been solid.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2023, 09:20:19 PM »
Haven't stayed, but have been to both the bar and restaurant for a meal and it's been solid.

Had our anniversary dinner at the restaurant and it was very good. I imagine that patio in the warmer months will be very cool.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2023, 09:42:46 PM »

Yes.

Haven't stayed there but have had cocktails at all 3 of their bars on a couple of occasions after games. Very cool and a nice addition to the downtown hotel stock.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2023, 10:28:58 PM »
Alright, StillAWarrior... Let's hear about the trip! Hope it was a good one.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2024, 06:45:47 AM »

The Trade is Leg$$ Territory

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2024, 09:20:03 AM »
Alright, StillAWarrior... Let's hear about the trip! Hope it was a good one.

Quick answer: We had a fantastic trip! What a great game! Thank you to everyone for the recommendations.

In the event anyone is interested:

First of all - the weather couldn’t have been better. Two days in Milwaukee on 12/29 and 12/30 could have been very, very different. We were able to walk everything with just a sweatshirt.

Arrived a bit after noon on Friday and got an Uber to the hotel. Walked up to campus and gave the best tour I could with everything locked up. Focused on the academic side of campus on the way up. Marveled at all the new buildings. Love the “gates” on Wisconsin at the entry to campus. The law school was particularly impressive. Made our way all the way up to Mashuda and the Pabst Mansion.

Grabbed a quick Leinenkugel at Miss Katie’s. It’s a sentimental thing for me, but the place is definitely showing a lot of wear and tear. Then worked our way down to Real Chili and had a bowl of hot. Wow…place really hasn’t changed. The prices sure have. A bowl of hot with all the fixings is $15! It was surprisingly good and my son agreed.

Murphys and Caffreys were both closed Friday afternoon. Walked through the rest of campus. Quick pit stop at the spirit shop. Peeked in the windows of the Al (the girls were practicing).

Headed downtown to explore Milwaukee a bit. Amazed by the differences. The area has so many seemingly nice housing options fairly near MU. The big food court area in the heart of the old Grand Avenue is cool. Walked over to the Third Ward. Very, very cool. The market was hopping and everything there was impressive. Grabbed a beer and some fried cheese curds (our first time eating those) at a bar across from the public market).

After a quick stop at the hotel we walked up the river to Lakefront. Absolutely blown away by all the development and condos on the river. The tour and the fish fry at Riverfront were awesome. We sampled more than our share of their work. Lots of really good beers. Loved Eastside Lager.

Got up relatively early and walked to the lake and explored. They’ve done a beautiful job down there. Grabbed a quick coffee and pastry at that food court at the old Grand Avenue and then headed to Major Goolsby’s for a couple pre-game beers.

Went into Fiserv as soon as the doors opened. Wow! That is far and away the nicest arena I’ve ever seen. Nothing else is even close. Explored all over. My daughter had hooked me up with access to the Jockey Club behind our seats so we enjoyed that. My daughter’s hook-up also included a hand signed card from Shaka. I was shocked. Still am.

Then we watched the Warriors crush Creighton’s spirit. Highlight of the trip! Fantastic! Fun seeing all the old players sitting about 50’ from us (Diener, Novak, Chapman, Grimm, Kinsela). Very cool seeing the interaction between TyKo and Diener after the game. Those two are cut from the same cloth.

Went to Caffrey’s (aka the Ardmore) and met up with some old friends for several beers. Mass at Gesu in the “lower church” (ie, basement - didn’t know Gesu had a basement). Tried a couple doors and found one unlocked from the basement to the upper church and found ourselves inside Gesu with no lights. Street lights bleeding in through the stained glass…beautiful even if we really couldn’t see anything.

Took an Uber to Bakistrieri’s in Tosa. My wife and I used to go there from time to time. A favorite. Hasn’t changed at all. Had some fantastic pizza. Back to the hotel for a quick nightcap and get ready for our 4:15 a.m. Uber.

And that’s pretty much it. Almost certainly far, far more than anyone is interested in. It was a truly fantastic trip back to MU after 30+ years. I can’t wait to go again. It definitely won’t be 30 years before the next time.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2024, 09:22:10 AM »
Quick answer: We had a fantastic trip! What a great game! Thank you to everyone for the recommendations.

First of all - the weather couldn’t have been better. Two days in Milwaukee on 12/29 and 12/30 could have been very, very different. We were able to walk everything with just a sweatshirt.

Arrived a bit after noon on Friday and got an Uber to the hotel. Walked up to campus and gave the best tour I could with everything locked up. Focused on the academic side of campus on the way up. Marveled at all the new buildings. Love the “gates” on Wisconsin at the entry to campus. The law school was particularly impressive. Made our way all the way up to Mashuda and the Pabst Mansion.

Grabbed a quick Leinenkugel at Miss Katie’s. It’s a sentimental thing for me, but the place is definitely showing a lot of wear and tear. Then worked our way down to Real Chili and had a bowl of hot. Wow…place really hasn’t changed. The prices sure have. A bowl of hot with all the fixings is $15! It was surprisingly good and my son agreed.

Murphys and Caffreys were both closed Friday afternoon. Walked through the rest of campus. Quick pit stop at the spirit shop. Peeked in the windows of the Al (the girls were practicing).

Headed downtown to explore Milwaukee a bit. Amazed by the differences. The area has so many seemingly nice housing options fairly near MU. The big food court area in the heart of the old Grand Avenue is cool. Walked over to the Third Ward. Very, very cool. The market was hopping and everything there was impressive. Grabbed a beer and some fried cheese curds (our first time eating those) at a bar across from the public market).

After a quick stop at the hotel we walked up the river to Lakefront. Absolutely blown away by all the development and condos on the river. The tour and the fish fry at Riverfront were awesome. We sampled more than our share of their work. Lots of really good beers. Loved Eastside Lager.

Got up relatively early and walked to the lake and explored. They’ve done a beautiful job down there. Grabbed a quick coffee and pastry at that food court at the old Grand Avenue and then headed to Major Goolsby’s for a couple pre-game beers.

Went into Fiserv as soon as the doors opened. Wow! That is far and away the nicest arena I’ve ever seen. Nothing else is even close. Explored all over. My daughter had hooked me up with access to the Jockey Club behind our seats so we enjoyed that. My daughter’s hook-up also included a hand signed card from Shaka. I was shocked. Still am.

Then we watched the Warriors crush Creighton’s spirit. Highlight of the trip! Fantastic! Fun seeing all the old players sitting about 50’ from us (Diener, Novak, Chapman, Grimm, Kinsela). Very cool seeing the interaction between TyKo and Diener after the game. Those two are cut from the same cloth.

Went to Caffrey’s (aka the Ardmore) and met up with some old friends for several beers. Mass at Gesu in the “lower church” (ie, basement - didn’t know Gesu had a basement). Tried a couple doors and found one unlocked from the basement to the upper church and found ourselves inside Gesu with no lights. Street lights bleeding in through the stained glass…beautiful even if we really couldn’t see anything.

Took an Uber to Bakistrieri’s in Tosa. My wife and I used to go there from time to time. A favorite. Hasn’t changed at all. Had some fantastic pizza. Back to the hotel for a quick nightcap and get ready for our 4:15 a.m. Uber.

And that’s pretty much it. Almost certainly far, far more than anyone is interested in. It was a truly fantastic trip back to MU after 30+ years. I can’t wait to go again. It definitely won’t be 30 years before the next time.

Glad to hear you didn’t get shot or stabbed
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2024, 09:27:17 AM »
Glad you enjoyed your sentimental journey.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2024, 09:33:43 AM »

Or run into a dentist!
Awesome trip report. Glad you had a great time. Kudos for all the walking. Best way to explore cities.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2024, 10:44:57 AM »
StillaWarrior

Nice to see you had a great time and enjoyed MKE. You definitely were at a fun game with a great environment.

On a sidebar, it is nice seeing a good number of alums making the trip to both the FF and road games. The support for the program is incredible.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2024, 10:46:23 AM »

Thanks for this. 
I felt like I was exploring Milwaukee with you.

Sounds a little like my short January 2023 visit at the end of a business trip to attend the UConn game.  School was a few days from reopening so the class buildings were open but no one there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2024, 11:46:45 AM »
That's a great trip and a great report, SAW!

I've been fortunate enough to get back for a game at least once a year the last many years, and I continue to be astounded by how much the campus has improved and how cool - for lack of better term - Milwaukee has become. Your post gives me a couple more places to check out on a future trip, so thanks.

As Goose said, one of the nice added benefits of Marquette's basketball renaissance has been the willingness of alums to make the effort to get to games. Three of my buddies had all but given up on the program but now they keep suggesting we go to this game or that game. We're going to 4 this season, two at home and two on the road (Butler, X), as well as hopefully some NCAAT action.

It's so damn much fun, as you eloquently stated in your post!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2024, 01:08:04 PM »
Excellent itinerary.  Bookmark it for future return to campus visitors. 

I was surprised by the Real Chili prices after the pandemic.  But worth every penny.
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2024, 01:15:07 PM »
I have not been to Real Chili in about five years and was surprised to hear $15. Would agree with Lawrence, worth every penny.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2024, 01:52:22 PM »

Give it a rest. If this was ever even remotely funny, it stopped being so a long, long time ago.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2024, 02:05:35 PM »
Give it a rest. If this was ever even remotely funny, it stopped being so a long, long time ago.

I think it’s funny.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow