Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Cottingham named MU athletic director  (Read 1547 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Cottingham named MU athletic director
« on: February 21, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
Cottingham named MU athletic director

Steve Cottingham, who served as interim athletic director at Marquette University since January 2007, on Thursday was named the school's new athletic director.

He replaces Bill Cords, who retired in December 2006.

The announcement was somewhat of a surprise because Cottingham had told the Journal Sentinel in previous months that he would not be a candidate for the permanent athletic director position. However, Father Robert A. Wild, the school's president, said in a statement that "university and athletic officials recognized the valuable role Steve played."

"Steve's leadership, his administrative and legal experience, and his intense commitment to Marquette will help continue the upward trajectory we've seen in our athletic program," Wild said.

In a statement, Cottingham said that while he intended to return to his role as associate senior vice president at the school, "the support I received and my own experience led me to conclude that this was the right place for me to serve the university at this point in time."

As interim athletic director, Cottingham was involved in talks on a new television contract for men's and women's basketball games.

Marquette supports 14 Division I teams, including men's and women's basketball, cross country, soccer, tennis and indoor and outdoor track, men's golf, and women's volleyballl.

Men's basketball coach Tom Crean called Cottingham "conscientious, committed and an exceptional leader. I have every confidence that he will continue to flourish and make our department even more respected nationally."

Marquette had launched a national search to replace Cords, who came to the university in 1987. Internally, deputy athletic director Mike Broeker and George Koonce, senior associate athletic director, had applied for the job.

This afternoon, Cottingham was scheduled to meet with coaches, athletic staff members and athletes to tell them of the appointment.

Cottingham will take over a program that still places a heavy emphasis on men's basketball, but is making efforts to raise the profile of other sports on campus. As athletic director, Cords was instrumental in moving Marquette to the Big East Conference. The move not only gave the men's basketball program a higher profile nationally, it allowed the other sports at Marquette to compete in a nationally recognized conference.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/02/21/cottingham-named-mu-athletic-director.aspx

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Cottingham named MU athletic director
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »
Nice! Steve is a great guy!  Not sure how that translates but in the time he's been here theres already been the new tv contract as the article mentions and plans for a new soccer stadium.

I like the announcement.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »
This is very good news, in my opinion.  Steve is a solid guy, who understands the needs of the athletic department/University and fan base.  I've always been told that he wasn't interested in the position on a permanent basis--glad something or someone persuaded him to change his mind. 

Ludum habemus.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »
I'd be interested in Chicos opinion as I believe he's a former athletic administration guy.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 01:15:53 PM »
Chicos, thoughts?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »
I'd be interested in Chicos opinion as I believe he's a former athletic administration guy.

I'll have more on this at Cracked Sidewalks.....you'll be interested to know that Steve and BFran are good friends.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 02:11:55 PM »
I am a little upset that chicos didnt get it.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »
I am a little upset that chicos didnt get it.

;D

I think the part on my resume that said President of the Bring Back the Warriors Nickname didn't help

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »
Chicos  :) :) :)

feedback