[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scrimmage vs. Michigan  (Read 9153 times)

Class71

• All American
Re: Scrimmage vs. Michigan
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2023, 06:50:50 AM »
One scrimmage does not make a year so let's not over react.

What concerns me is the lack of strength up front. That continues to be our weakness which has not been addressed. Obviously we have great guards and a gifted ball handler at center but the lack of a power forward is a real problem. Help me understand how we work around that issue and I will feel much better.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

mug644

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2023, 06:59:59 AM »

What concerns me is the lack of strength up front. That continues to be our weakness which has not been addressed. Obviously we have great guards and a gifted ball handler at center but the lack of a power forward is a real problem. Help me understand how we work around that issue and I will feel much better.

We'll work around it the same way we did last year, and this time with more experienced players. Last year's work around went pretty well overall, wouldn't you say?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2023, 07:21:31 AM »
MU has more returning minutes than any team I can remember.   And the three sophomores could make the same leap that the sophomores made last year.    Trust the development.  Every team is different, every season is different.    Barring injuries, this should be fun.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2023, 07:32:17 AM »
MU has more returning minutes than any team I can remember.   And the three sophomores could make the same leap that the sophomores made last year.    Trust the development.  Every team is different, every season is different.    Barring injuries, this should be fun.
"every season is different" is what worries me. Up until the Michigan State game most things broke in our favor. These things tend to even out. I do believe we have a better team this year, but things may not break in our favor as much as they did last year.

Slim margins. How much different would your outlook be for this year, if we lost to St. John's in first game of Big East tournament last year?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2023, 07:47:34 AM »
The same.  It was a great season.  The titles validate it, sure.   But if SJU had beaten MU in the garden, it would have been a slightly less great season, but a great season, nonetheless.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2023, 07:52:34 AM »

In terms of minutes, 2008-09 comes to mind, and we were in position for a Big East title and 1-seed before DJ's injury.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2023, 08:52:19 AM »
The same.  It was a great season.  The titles validate it, sure.   But if SJU had beaten MU in the garden, it would have been a slightly less great season, but a great season, nonetheless.

We were at the St. Johns game. I do not tell my cardiologist about games like that one.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2023, 10:23:48 AM »
The question was if we lost that game, would your expectations for this year be different than they are now?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2023, 10:41:04 AM »
No.  Different season.   And I have no expectatuons for this season other than it should be fun.

This is a really good team playing a really tough schedule.   Sit back, relax, enjoy the adventure.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 10:52:26 AM by tower912 »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2023, 10:49:14 AM »
"every season is different" is what worries me. Up until the Michigan State game most things broke in our favor. These things tend to even out. I do believe we have a better team this year, but things may not break in our favor as much as they did last year.

Slim margins. How much different would your outlook be for this year, if we lost to St. John's in first game of Big East tournament last year?

whoever came up with "Marquette Worriers" as the new nickname was spot on...

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2023, 01:08:43 PM »
In terms of minutes, 2008-09 comes to mind, and we were in position for a Big East title and 1-seed before DJ's injury.

07-08 comes even more to mind, as the 06-07 team had no seniors getting significant minutes at all, whereas 08-09 lost Ousmane Barro and Dan Fitzgerald from the previous years squad, and both of those guys played way more minutes than Jamil Lott did.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2023, 01:30:56 PM »
07-08 comes even more to mind, as the 06-07 team had no seniors getting significant minutes at all, whereas 08-09 lost Ousmane Barro and Dan Fitzgerald from the previous years squad, and both of those guys played way more minutes than Jamil Lott did.

Correct. Returning mins is one thing… mins continuity, 07-08 was over 80%

Although I think we beat that this year rather easily
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2023, 03:03:20 PM »

Because its 2023, and the game has changed.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2023, 03:08:50 PM »
Because its 2023, and the game has changed.
100% correct.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2023, 09:49:53 AM »
Turns out Michigan might be good this year, they look to have an elite offense.

(Olivier Nkamhoua is very good)

Whether it is because they lost Juwan, His Son, or Hunter Dickinson.

They beat UNC Ashville last night 99-74.

But in the first half with more starters minutes, Michigan won 48-32. Michigan had 1.42 PPP, the First half was only 34 possessions.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2023, 09:55:14 AM »
I wanted Marquette to drop the bag for either (or both) of Nkamhoua or Burnett.  Both looked good.  I like their lineup.  Those two plus McDaniel are a nice group, and they have some big dudes down low.

I'm still interested to know how much Kolek, Oso, Stevie, and Kam played in the scrimmage.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2023, 09:58:17 AM »
Turns out Michigan might be good this year, they look to have an elite offense.

(Olivier Nkamhoua is very good)

Whether it is because they lost Juwan, His Son, or Hunter Dickinson.

They beat UNC Ashville last night 99-74.

But in the first half with more starters minutes, Michigan won 48-32. Michigan had 1.42 PPP, the First half was only 34 possessions.

Shaka can’t beat Big Ten teams
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2023, 10:46:55 AM »
Associate Michigan Head Coach Phil Martelli:

"Just suppose we had a secret scrimmage in Milwaukee (No. 5 Marquette) and just suppose the score reported (115-111) was the score we won by in 48 minutes. And just suppose, in 48 minutes, we only trailed twice"

"We haven't gotten blood in our mouth yet"

Michigan and others seem to be getting an awful lot of mileage out of this "secret" scrimmage "victory." Rick Pitino also mentions it here: https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1722095068482351116

I hope Shaka and MU are seeing this kind of stuff.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2023, 10:47:15 AM »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2023, 11:00:39 AM »
Associate Michigan Head Coach Phil Martelli:

Michigan and others seem to be getting an awful lot of mileage out of this "secret" scrimmage "victory." Rick Pitino also mentions it here: https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1722095068482351116

I hope Shaka and MU are seeing this kind of stuff.

Hunted. Not the Hunter.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2023, 12:23:29 PM »
Hunted. Not the Hunter.

So now we lost because they didn't have Dickenson?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2023, 01:33:16 PM »
Don't think the scrimmage was even in Milwaukee.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Viper

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2023, 01:42:38 PM »
Shaka can’t beat Big Ten teams
correct

tower912

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2023, 01:47:21 PM »
Except Illinois.

feedback