collapse

* Recent Posts

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 10:09:47 AM]

More conference realignment talk by MU82
[Today at 09:47:23 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:44:45 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 08:32:42 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[June 19, 2024, 08:33:32 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lewiston shooting  (Read 6329 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Lewiston shooting
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2023, 11:22:51 AM »

Pretty sure 22 and counting dead folks and dozens of others injured would have liked to have had a chance against this motherfooker, aina?

Yessir. The one and only answer is more guns. Lennon and McCartney were right - happiness really is a warm gun.

Our new Speaker probably is working on a law mandating that every newborn child receive 100 guns at birth. Mexico will pay for them, of course.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

reinko

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2023, 12:11:43 PM »
Well he's still at large.  I wonder why the 2A crowd vigilantes in Maine aren't out there hunting the most dangerous game.

I have a five point plan that involves turning Maine to dust, and capturing their precious lobster filled waters.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2023, 12:32:26 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/lewiston-maine-shooting-manhunt-gunman-police-live-rcna122270#rcrd23266

"Liam Kent, who grew up near Card’s home in nearby Bowdoin, Maine, described the place as “basically a compound” where "The family and Robert, they're all gun fanatics," Kent said. "For all intents and purposes, they are very much associated with right-wing militias. It's known in the town to stay away from them and not approach them."

Kent said he vividly remembers when he went to the store as a kid and saw Card at a nearby weigh station with a dead deer. Card was grinning, covered in blood with a gun strapped to his body still.

"Also they would shoot guns all the time, you could hear them every day after school," Kent added. "It was like clockwork."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2023, 12:37:32 PM »

Pretty sure 22 and counting dead folks and dozens of others injured would have liked to have had a chance against this motherfooker, aina?

You're so close to getting it but can't quite drag yourself over the hump.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2023, 12:54:39 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/lewiston-maine-shooting-manhunt-gunman-police-live-rcna122270#rcrd23266

"Liam Kent, who grew up near Card’s home in nearby Bowdoin, Maine, described the place as “basically a compound” where "The family and Robert, they're all gun fanatics," Kent said. "For all intents and purposes, they are very much associated with right-wing militias. It's known in the town to stay away from them and not approach them."

Kent said he vividly remembers when he went to the store as a kid and saw Card at a nearby weigh station with a dead deer. Card was grinning, covered in blood with a gun strapped to his body still.

"Also they would shoot guns all the time, you could hear them every day after school," Kent added. "It was like clockwork."

Sounds like a fine, patriotic family. No Blacks or Jews or (probably) gay people, and lots and lots and lots of guns, so they check all the right boxes. Let freedom ring, baby!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2023, 01:07:23 PM »
Sounds like a fine, patriotic family. No Blacks or Jews or (probably) gay people, and lots and lots and lots of guns, so they check all the right boxes. Let freedom ring, baby!

I don’t know how much stock I put into these reports that show up right after these incidents
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2023, 01:36:07 PM »
That is wise in most circumstances.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2023, 01:53:22 PM »
That is wise in most circumstances.

I’m past the point of what are their politics or social media histories unless they help us catch these murderers

tower912

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2023, 01:54:40 PM »
Yes.   Me, too.   Troubled person + gun.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2023, 01:57:20 PM »
Yes.   Me, too.   Troubled person + gun.

Bingo.  If this guy is MAGA, why target a bowling alley/restaurant near his hometown?  The problem is he had access to a mass casualty weapon

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2023, 02:08:41 PM »
Would it be possible for the non-agenda crowd to discontinue saying “crazy” to describe people with mental illness or mental health challenges?

The vast majority of mentally ill people are non-violent. and, are more likely to be a victim of crime than to perpetrate it. I believe most non-agenda people understand this. I would imagine 100% of people here know a friend or family member with some sort of mental health challenges in their daily lives, big or small.

There’s nothing wrong with having mental health challenges. There’s nothing wrong with people that go places to seek and get care for it. And there’s nothing wrong with treating those people like anyone else before during and after.

Access to guns. Quantity of guns. Types of guns. Gun culture. Violence exposure as a youth, young adult etc….politicians who prioritize personal wealth, power, vote against increased mental health funding and access, but for less gun restrictions. and intentionally duping people who do little more than regurgitate talking points. And of course those who vote for tax breaks and nothing else matters. These are all of course more of the problem.

Well said.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2023, 02:17:37 PM »
Bingo.  If this guy is MAGA, why target a bowling alley/restaurant near his hometown?  The problem is he had access to a mass casualty weapon

A weapon designed to legitimately create an explosion inside the body in the hands of a trained killer would have been stopped easily by a crowd of panicky maybe some under the influence people with small hand guns.

The people making these logically irrational arguments won't care unless it directly happens to them. God forbid it does happen to anyone and their family/friends but something tells me that we wouldn't be seeing a smug police report posting about it on scoop after if it did.

Covid kind of made me accept the realization that many Americans simply cannot be bothered if it isn't a direct impact to their life.

One of my close business partners I was just on a call with yesterday morning lives in Lewiston with his wife a block or two from where this happened (They are alright but obviously now out of pocket). It is insane to me that in a country so large I have multiple personal connections to people affected by mass shootings over the past decade. One is too much but I am now running out of fingers on my hand to count them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2023, 02:30:31 PM »
The suspect's family is reporting that the suspect claimed to have heard voices disparaging him when he was in/near the two locations.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2023, 04:49:34 PM »
Confirmed that he had severe mental health issues and should have been locked up.

https://www.newsweek.com/robert-card-maine-mass-shooting-social-media-posts-1838068
His "liked" tweets include content published by Donald Trump Jnr., Tucker Carlson and Dinesh D'Souza. He also liked tweets by former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and Jim Jordan, according to the screenshots.

Another tweet he liked, from Tucker Carlson, regarding the same subject, reads: "The trans movement, it turns out, is the mirror image of Christianity, and therefore its natural enemy. People who believe they're God can't stand to be reminded that they're not."

He also liked a post from Dinesh D'Souza about banning assault weapons...

yeah blah blah fill in all the rest of the conservatives you guys hate and get all your political vomit out under guise of "lewiston shooting" but it was him reading chit posted by you guys here on scoop that was the final straw.  and, of all things...he had a poster of ronnie reagan and wayne lapierre and charlton heston with guns on his bedroom wall
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2023, 04:58:04 PM »
The whole mental health thing is just a diversion. If a law was passed to prevent them from purchasing a gun, it would be overturned. Just like the law preventing a spouse who threatened their partner with a gun from keeping that gun will be overturned soon. Anyone who puts a gun to the head of another human and threatens to kill them is already nuts. But can’t take the gun out of a nuts hand.

and there you have it-everything  is just "overturned" and now it's all mike johnson's fault damn it

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2023, 05:00:45 PM »
I just want to point out that inherent in this statement is a societal choice we are making between what we feel are appropriate obstacles to exercise the right to bear arms vs the right to not be committed against your will.  The fact that we're like "ahhh, yes, well back in the day the standard was lower to take away someone's freedom if they are suspected of mental illness" tells the whole story.

You make a very good point, Burrow. Freedoms are not absolute. People known to be mentally unstable and dangerous shouldn’t have access to guns. Or knives. Or cars. He should have stayed institutionalized. He shouldn’t have  had the freedom to roam the streets. Do those who favor policies making it almost impossible to keep people like him take any responsibility? Nope. They wash their hands and blame the gun. Easy Peasy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2023, 05:08:21 PM »
You make a very good point, Burrow. Freedoms are not absolute. People known to be mentally unstable and dangerous shouldn’t have access to guns. Or knives. Or cars. He should have stayed institutionalized. He shouldn’t have  had the freedom to roam the streets. Do those who favor policies making it almost impossible to keep people like him take any responsibility? Nope. They wash their hands and blame the gun. Easy Peasy.

Now fund what you're suggesting.  That's the problem.  The "Its mental health problems, not guns!" crowd doesn't want to pay for mental health care.

And if they do, they're not voting that way.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2023, 05:13:28 PM »

No.

Knives are used for cooking and eating etc…cars are used for transportation, etc….guns are used for…………..not eating and not transportation. But good try.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2023, 05:13:59 PM »
Now fund what you're suggesting.  That's the problem.  The "Its mental health problems, not guns!" crowd doesn't want to pay for mental health care.

And if they do, they're not voting that way.

“This is the actual solution but I don’t want to pay for it myself”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2023, 05:15:02 PM »
Yes. A pistol is the best defense against an assault rifle. Quit being so willfully stupid.

i'm sure the people at this party and many others would love to kick you right in the stones if you had any

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61615236

Police spokesman Tony Hazelett said the woman's quick reaction saved lives and may have prevented a mass shooting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62217263

Elisjsha Dicken, 22, who was at the mall with his girlfriend, drew his pistol and fatally shot the gunman.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/man-called-hero-for-stopping-shooter-at-turnberry-towers-friday

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2023, 05:17:27 PM »
   i'm sure the people at this party and many others would love to kick you right in the stones if you had any

Police spokesman Tony Hazelett said the woman's quick reaction saved lives and may have prevented a mass shooting.

Elisjsha Dicken, 22, who was at the mall with his girlfriend, drew his pistol and fatally shot the gunman.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/man-called-hero-for-stopping-shooter-at-turnberry-towers-friday

Powerless to prevent it from happening but good thing someone else is able to do the same violent thing back after people get mowed down

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2023, 05:30:18 PM »
Oh, good.  The poster boy for a Marquette education has chimed in

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2023, 05:38:24 PM »
Oh, good.  The poster boy for a Marquette education has chimed in

Yeah there’s always an anecdote to keep him in his safe space.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2023, 06:04:14 PM »

The mass shooter only killed 3 before being taken down? Yay, I guess?

Now do the other 564 mass shootings in the U.S. this year.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2023, 06:44:08 PM »
“This is the actual solution but I don’t want to pay for it myself”

Said nobody

feedback