Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 147236 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1275 on: April 08, 2024, 09:22:33 AM »
Billy's pretty far down the list of the Bulls' problems.
That said, I used to think that Kentucky might be the one job that could lure him back to college - and maybe it is - but some recent comments he made seems to indicate he has zero interest in dealing with NIL, the portal and everything else that goes with the college game today.
I honestly believe Donovan has the best coaching job in basketball. He gets paid handsomely and his sweet spot for winning is about .400. The Bulls give him a roster right at the salary cap, so he has decent talent that he is expected/encouraged to bring in 9th or 10th place in the East.

As has been pointed out, Donovan isn't the problem. He's not very good in the NBA, but he actually checks all the boxes for the Bulls.

Funny thing is that the Bulls are self-aware enough that they never publicly announced his extension. I can't think of any team ever extending a coach without some fanfare to pat themselves and the coach on the back.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1276 on: April 08, 2024, 09:24:41 AM »
Why is this a concern for you on this thread?

I'm serious. She should coach Kentucky. Why not.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1277 on: April 08, 2024, 09:26:07 AM »
I believe a day will come where a woman coaches a men's team in D1 basketball.   I look forward to that day.   I do not believe this is that day or the right job for that kind of additional pressure and scrutiny.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 09:27:59 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1278 on: April 08, 2024, 09:26:45 AM »
This isn't Outkick.

Women's rights are not men's rights.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1279 on: April 08, 2024, 09:41:15 AM »
I believe a day will come where a woman coaches a men's team in D1 basketball.   I look forward to that day.   I do not believe this is that day or the right job for that kind of additional pressure and scrutiny.
I agree.

While the men's and women's games appear the same from 50,000 feet up, there are material differences I don't think a women's coach (man or woman) can instantly adapt to, especially at a job like UK. For example: A women's coach has no ally-oop play in their playbook, nor give any thought on coaching how to defend it.

I don't see any reason why a woman can't coach the men. I thinks a women's coach, like Staley or Auriemma,  would need time to adapt.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1280 on: April 08, 2024, 09:42:38 AM »
Women's rights are not men's rights.

Yeah...something tells me you really don't care all that much about women's rights.

Anyway, you should keep the politics out of the Coaching Carousel topic because it has zero to do with what is being discussed here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1281 on: April 08, 2024, 09:47:16 AM »
I'm serious. She should coach Kentucky. Why not.

You're entirely unserious, and just using this to attack transgender people.
I'm sure there are far better and more welcoming forums out there for you to do this.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1283 on: April 08, 2024, 09:59:00 AM »
Now Scott Drew can really cheat even more

it seems like being a d-bag comes easily to you...shocker!!  you always have to be a contrarian or wtf?!?

yeah, one of the most coveted jobs in basketball and they are probably going to offer it to a "cheater"??  nothing to do with considering a guy who beneath it all is a decent person who can coach err anything

i know this may be asking A LOT, but grow up a little bit
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1284 on: April 08, 2024, 09:59:00 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1285 on: April 08, 2024, 10:01:19 AM »
You are hilarious to everyone but yourself.

well if you laugh at reeko's chit we all know what kind of sense of humor you have...or don't so thank you for the compliment
don't...don't don't don't don't

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1286 on: April 08, 2024, 10:01:47 AM »
Yeah...something tells me you really don't care all that much about women's rights.

Anyway, you should keep the politics out of the Coaching Carousel topic because it has zero to do with what is being discussed here.

As a woman, I obviously care very much about women's rights and what we have clawed and battled for years.  Things like women's sports were specifically created because if it were just sports, women would be excluded.  I am a proponent of inclusion until it leads to exclusion of someone who truly biologically belongs in the category.   Why should women be asked to concede something that is ours for men?  Here's a list of all of the times women have lost out in their own category to someone who did not belong: https://www.shewon.org/

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1287 on: April 08, 2024, 10:03:03 AM »
I agree.

While the men's and women's games appear the same from 50,000 feet up, there are material differences I don't think a women's coach (man or woman) can instantly adapt to, especially at a job like UK. For example: A women's coach has no ally-oop play in their playbook, nor give any thought on coaching how to defend it.

I don't see any reason why a woman can't coach the men. I thinks a women's coach, like Staley or Auriemma,  would need time to adapt.

If we don't think a woman can take a job coaching men, why do people accept biological men taking a spot (from a biological woman) on women's teams?

• All American
« Reply #1288 on: April 08, 2024, 10:03:41 AM »
  it seems like being a d-bag comes easily to you...shocker!!  you always have to be a contrarian or wtf?!?

yeah, one of the most coveted jobs in basketball and they are probably going to offer it to a "cheater"??  nothing to do with considering a guy who beneath it all is a decent person who can coach err anything

Again, Baylor literally SELF-REPORTED violations that Drew and his staff made to the NCAA.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-basketball/drews-cheating-stigma-now-has-merit

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1289 on: April 08, 2024, 10:05:20 AM »
You're entirely unserious, and just using this to attack transgender people.
I'm sure there are far better and more welcoming forums out there for you to do this.

Dawn is a 3 time National Champion coach and just coached her team to an "invincible" season.  She pushed all the right buttons last night; it was a master class.  I would love to see what she can do at Kentucky.  She would bring more integrity that Scott Drew...and is a far better coach.  Seriously.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #1290 on: April 08, 2024, 10:07:44 AM »
Is there a sports franchise in Chicago that the fans don't blame the coaching or owners (or both)?

They never blame the owners of the Packers in Green Bay.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1291 on: April 08, 2024, 10:08:02 AM »

They hired John Calipari, ding-a-ling.  But, yes, they definitely won’t hire a cheater. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1292 on: April 08, 2024, 10:08:21 AM »

Are you aware of Calipari's past? I kind of thought being a cheater was a prerequisite for the Kentucky job.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1293 on: April 08, 2024, 10:09:07 AM »
If we don't think a woman can take a job coaching men, why do people accept biological men taking a spot (from a biological woman) on women's teams?

I’d love to see Dawn Staley get a shot at a men’s job.  She is a great coach. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #1294 on: April 08, 2024, 10:09:34 AM »
well if you laugh at reeko's chit we all know what kind of sense of humor you have...or don't so thank you for the compliment
You are most welcome.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #1295 on: April 08, 2024, 10:09:50 AM »

God you people are so exhausting.  Just go away and let us discuss Marquette basketball without your trolling.

• All American
« Reply #1296 on: April 08, 2024, 10:10:25 AM »
As a woman, I obviously care very much about women's rights and what we have clawed and battled for years.  Things like women's sports were specifically created because if it were just sports, women would be excluded.  I am a proponent of inclusion until it leads to exclusion of someone who truly biologically belongs in the category.   Why should women be asked to concede something that is ours for men?  Here's a list of all of the times women have lost out in their own category to someone who did not belong: https://www.shewon.org/

Yeah...I don't really think you care all that much.

And again, this topic has nothing to do with the Coaching Carousel.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1297 on: April 08, 2024, 10:12:13 AM »
Dawn is a 3 time National Champion coach and just coached her team to an "invincible" season.  She pushed all the right buttons last night; it was a master class.  I would love to see what she can do at Kentucky.  She would bring more integrity that Scott Drew...and is a far better coach.  Seriously.

If you were serious, you would have written this in your first post.
But your first post mentioned nothing of her accomplishments. Which is pretty weird, given how much you care about women's athletics. Instead, your first post only took a swipe at her stance on transgender athletes.
Please stop now and let the thread stay on topic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: April 08, 2024, 10:16:25 AM »
Dawn Staley is a great coach I don't think Kentucky is ready for that leap.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1299 on: April 08, 2024, 10:19:06 AM »
Biological men do not belong in women's sports.  Anyone with a brain and a basic understanding of biology would agree. 

I'm a woman who is in pretty good shape but I need to play from the women's tee boxes because the men who are 30 years older than me can still outdrive me. 

XX only.

Women have wanted to be treated equally to men (as they should!), but if a male transitions to a female and tries to play sports they go absolutely nuts.