Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 147276 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #775 on: March 11, 2024, 08:44:32 AM »
What DePaul + Georgetown did for the Big East is create the illusion of solid teams who probably weren't.

The 3 Top 15 teams were never going to lose to the 10th and 11th team but you could expect the 6-9th teams to lose one or two. Instead they all sweep DePaul + Georgetown and you end up with this on the back half of the conference:

10-10
10-10
9-11
9-11
2-18
0-20

Maybe with a normal 10th + last place team Xavier goes 7-13 instead of 9-11 and you look at them a lot different.

Would you though?  Before X played a conference game they were 6-5 with losses to Delaware and Oakland. I don't think they were ever projected to be a tournament team once their injuries were known.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #776 on: March 11, 2024, 08:50:27 AM »
Would you though?  Before X played a conference game they were 6-5 with losses to Delaware and Oakland. I don't think they were ever projected to be a tournament team once their injuries were known.
X had their  two bad non conference losses, which they had an excuse with the lost of the injured players and having to rebuild 14 players from their roster as Coach Miller noted in his post MU Press Conference. .

Nova lost 3 games to Big 5 Opponents which screwed The Big East. As Muggys would say, Inexcusable
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #777 on: March 11, 2024, 09:07:14 AM »
X had their  two bad non conference losses, which they had an excuse with the lost of the injured players and having to rebuild 14 players from their roster as Coach Miller noted in his post MU Press Conference. .

Nova lost 3 games to Big 5 Opponents which screwed The Big East. As Muggys would say, Inexcusable
Could Nova be voted out of the Big East?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #779 on: March 11, 2024, 09:36:16 AM »
https://x.com/coachingchanges/status/1767177411819683992?s=46&t=5FASZRHgruhjFLVJKu-4pQ

If true, that's just another coach under a long-term contract quitting on his team - and not just at the end of a season but during a season that could include an NCAA tournament bid. Reminiscent of Brian Kelly bolting on Notre Dame, and of course many others including our own KO and Crean.

And yet some of the same folks who are so against college athletes having freedom of movement and/or football players protecting their financial futures by skipping exhibition bowl games seem to have little problem with coaches who walk out on their teams.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #780 on: March 11, 2024, 09:42:59 AM »
If true, that's just another coach under a long-term contract quitting on his team - and not just at the end of a season but during a season that could include an NCAA tournament bid. Reminiscent of Brian Kelly bolting on Notre Dame, and of course many others including our own KO and Crean.

And yet some of the same folks who are so against college athletes having freedom of movement and/or football players protecting their financial futures by skipping exhibition bowl games seem to have little problem with coaches who walk out on their teams.

I agree with this. But selfishly I want my second favorite coach in my neighborhood!

Also great running into you in Cincy, the real-life personality to match your top 5 poster status

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #782 on: March 11, 2024, 10:01:20 AM »

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #783 on: March 11, 2024, 10:02:17 AM »

But the Big 5 did an excellent job at screwing the BE.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 10:03:54 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #784 on: March 11, 2024, 10:11:58 AM »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #785 on: March 11, 2024, 07:51:40 PM »
PM denying the DePaul rumor but not not voiceferously enough for me. I think it’s edging closer to #donedeal. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #787 on: March 11, 2024, 08:53:27 PM »
@PorterMoser
Heard all the rumors this afternoon 🤦‍♂️ and want to say emphatically THERE IS ZERO TRUTH!!

I LOVE Oklahoma and Sooner Nation ❤️🤍

These accounts make stuff up and there is no validity to any of these “sources” b/c I have spoken to NO ONE about any job!!

https://twitter.com/PorterMoser/status/1767358650287284556

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #788 on: March 11, 2024, 08:59:42 PM »
@PorterMoser
Heard all the rumors this afternoon 🤦‍♂️ and want to say emphatically THERE IS ZERO TRUTH!!

I LOVE Oklahoma and Sooner Nation ❤️🤍

These accounts make stuff up and there is no validity to any of these “sources” b/c I have spoken to NO ONE about any job!!

https://twitter.com/PorterMoser/status/1767358650287284556

he gowne
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #789 on: March 11, 2024, 09:03:32 PM »
"Heard all the rumors this afternoon" -- lol

Not very convincing, but enough to make himself look like a real a-hole if he leaves for DePaul. I suppose what choice did he have with his team's season very much still alive.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #790 on: March 11, 2024, 09:11:31 PM »
Steve Lappas in the Huggie Bear to DePaul camp as a good idea

https://voiceofmotown.com/bob-huggins-considered-perfect-candidate-for-head-coach-opening/
            ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #791 on: March 11, 2024, 09:20:42 PM »
Steve Lappas in the Huggie Bear to DePaul camp as a good idea

https://voiceofmotown.com/bob-huggins-considered-perfect-candidate-for-head-coach-opening/

Lappas must be as good at picking coaching hires as he is at commentating.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #792 on: March 11, 2024, 10:39:24 PM »
"Heard all the rumors this afternoon" -- lol

Not very convincing, but enough to make himself look like a real a-hole if he leaves for DePaul. I suppose what choice did he have with his team's season very much still alive.

If he really is headed to DePaul AND had no part in the leaks AND stays with his team until their season is over, why do you think he would be seen as an a-hole? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #793 on: March 11, 2024, 11:28:49 PM »
Gary Barnett bolted Northwestern for Colorado about 10 seconds after tearfully telling his Northwestern players he wouldn't leave. And he's hardly the only one to do that or something similar.

PointWarrior

• All American

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #795 on: March 12, 2024, 09:35:52 AM »
Gary Barnett bolted Northwestern for Colorado about 10 seconds after tearfully telling his Northwestern players he wouldn't leave. And he's hardly the only one to do that or something similar.
In fairness to Barnett: Nov. 1996 “I don’t think you ever say ‘never’ or ‘always.’ I don’t know at this point in time,” he said when asked if he would still be coaching Northwestern next season.

Also, Barnett and/or Colorado paid Northwestern : When the NU AD was asked about Barnett's buyout amount (in response to ND rumors);
“Lots,” Northwestern athletic director Rick Taylor said Monday without giving specifics.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #796 on: March 12, 2024, 10:07:17 AM »
In fairness to Barnett: Nov. 1996 “I don’t think you ever say ‘never’ or ‘always.’ I don’t know at this point in time,” he said when asked if he would still be coaching Northwestern next season.

And yet, literally hours before he bolted Northwestern, he told his own Northwestern players - the ones he had spent years preaching "loyalty" to - that he wasn't going anywhere.

Look, I don't begrudge anybody improving his or her lot in life. Just don't be a liar and hypocrite. And there are lots of hypocrites in coaching when it comes to athletes having anything close to the freedom of movement that coaches have had for decades.

This is all being said in the context of Moser perhaps going from Oklahoma to DePaul. If he thinks that's a better fit for himself, cool. But if so, after basically using the coaching transfer portal for himself twice in 3 years, he damn well better never whine about any of his athletes hitting the transfer portal.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #797 on: March 12, 2024, 10:24:23 AM »
After 17 years Long Beach State lets Dan Monson go

https://hoopdirt.com/monson-long-beach-state-agree-to-mutually-part-ways/
            ---Al McGuire

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #798 on: March 12, 2024, 10:34:58 AM »
Bolted Gonzaga for the greener pastures of Minnesota. Guess that did not work out.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #799 on: March 12, 2024, 10:48:05 AM »
It worked out great for Gonzaga and Mark Few!

feedback