Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 147155 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #475 on: February 09, 2024, 06:21:47 AM »
Yeah, the idea that a 58 year old guy with 483 D1 wins and a .681 winning percentage would go to a dumpster fire like DePaul because his late sister enjoyed her time as an assistant for the women’s team seems far fetched.

That may be. But I don’t think Dixon is long for TCU. His record there has been pretty Wojo-esque, including some internal complaints last year.

I’ve hear Will Wade thrown around, but I find that way more far fetched than Dixon.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #476 on: February 09, 2024, 07:04:56 AM »
I think Moser for DePaul is more likely than Dixon. It's a worse job,  but if you went from living in Chicago to Norman,  Ok you might be willing to take a worse job to move back
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #477 on: February 09, 2024, 09:14:37 AM »
I think Moser for DePaul is more likely than Dixon. It's a worse job,  but if you went from living in Chicago to Norman,  Ok you might be willing to take a worse job to move back

It's a worse job now. Seriously, though, I do recognize that it is a worse job for the foreseeable future -- maybe forever.

That said, these coaches have huge egos. Moser might well see what DePaul "could become" and believe he's the guy who can take it there. If DePaul is serious about this -- and I'm skeptical -- and will commit the resources to coach, staff, and players, I could see Moser being very intrigued by the opportunity to return to Chicago, play in the Big East, and restore DePaul to respectability.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #478 on: February 09, 2024, 09:36:22 AM »
I'm actually intrigued by the DePaul opening.

Sure, the current situation is a dumpster fire featuring toxic waste, but the right coach with the right contacts can make all the difference in the world. Look at how fast Coach Shaka turned around our dumpster fire-to-be program. We're a Top 10 team now. Five years ago, we were more a candidate for "What Happened to..."

Can the right coach do that at DePaul? Well, think about it! Using the transfer portal to build out three, maybe four starters while the coach begins a recruiting process (or builds on one he/she already started at another university). DePaul plays in one of the best basketball conferences in the country with two potential Final Four teams. The Chicago market is fertile as a recruiting and media grounds. With a little bit of personality and some hard marketing work, some of the lazy reporters over at the Tribune and Sun Times will start covering you. Ditto for TV.

The one drawback to the DePaul job will be getting the NIL accounts up to a level that can draw stud recruits. I don't know how deep the alumni pockets are there nor do I know whether there's any desire among key alumni to rebirth DePaul basketball. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #479 on: February 09, 2024, 09:36:49 AM »
It's a worse job now. Seriously, though, I do recognize that it is a worse job for the foreseeable future -- maybe forever.

That said, these coaches have huge egos. Moser might well see what DePaul "could become" and believe he's the guy who can take it there. If DePaul is serious about this -- and I'm skeptical -- and will commit the resources to coach, staff, and players, I could see Moser being very intrigued by the opportunity to return to Chicago, play in the Big East, and restore DePaul to respectability.

Your take is pretty much where I am on Moser to DePaul. He has money independent of basketball and, like Shaka, seems to not be as money-prestige-publicity hungry as most coaches (but I am not suggesting that those things are not a factor either). Scoopers have poked fun at Moser but he has proven himself to be a very solid coach. Due to his age, DePaul would likely be his last stop and DP may understand that they need to give their next coach time to resurrect their awful program and make it at least somewhat respectable.  Even with transfers, it will take time. Like Georgetown, they have almost no fan base. That may be more difficult to rebuild so that home court advantage actually means something.

Edit: crossed posts with dgies. His last line is spot on.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 09:38:28 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #480 on: February 09, 2024, 09:40:32 AM »

Sure, the current situation is a dumpster fire featuring toxic waste, but the right coach with the right contacts can make all the difference in the world. Look at how fast Coach Shaka turned around our dumpster fire-to-be program. We're a Top 10 team now. Five years ago, we were more a candidate for "What Happened to..."

Can the right coach do that at DePaul? Well, think about it! Using the transfer portal to build out three, maybe four starters while the coach begins a recruiting process (or builds on one he/she already started at another university). DePaul plays in one of the best basketball conferences in the country with two potential Final Four teams. The Chicago market is fertile as a recruiting and media grounds. With a little bit of personality and some hard marketing work, some of the lazy reporters over at the Tribune and Sun Times will start covering you. Ditto for TV.

The one drawback to the DePaul job will be getting the NIL accounts up to a level that can draw stud recruits. I don't know how deep the alumni pockets are there nor do I know whether there's any desire among key alumni to rebirth DePaul basketball.

The COO of Citadel is the head of their BoT. They have alumni with cash. One example, but it’s not like they can’t get “boosters” involved.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #481 on: February 09, 2024, 09:56:56 AM »
McDermott to Ohio State, Moser to Creighton DePaul?

That would be my guess. And Alan Huss to Creighton. He already has won 20 games in his first season at High Point and has them at their highest kenpom rank ever. He was likely involved in Creighton recruiting for much of the current roster. He also completely overhauled the High Point roster to get them to where they are, so he's showing he can do the quick rebuild.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #482 on: February 09, 2024, 10:13:33 AM »

Uh no.  Don't even begin to compare Marquette in 2021 to DePaul for the last 25 years.  They're nothing alike, not even remotely.

TheStrand

• Walk-On
« Reply #483 on: February 09, 2024, 10:18:23 AM »
Things have worked out well for Marquette and Shaka Smart so far, Hopefully he can keep it going and add to it.

Moser is a good coach too.

KenPom Shaka first 3 seasons at Texas:
39, 70, 36. (25, 61, 26)

KenPom Moser first 3 seasons at OU:
30, 54, 21.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #484 on: February 09, 2024, 10:25:45 AM »
I could see Moser at DePaul. Oklahoma struck me as he had it in his mind he was taking any high major role he could find.

I think he could establish a culture at DePaul that doesn't necessarily need the tip recruits, but have an identity and fundamental style of play. Something they've sorely missed for a long time. They seemed to just try and recruit the best athletes they could.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #485 on: February 09, 2024, 10:33:08 AM »
Uh no.  Don't even begin to compare Marquette in 2021 to DePaul for the last 25 years.  They're nothing alike, not even remotely.

Brother Hards:

Sadly, we were closer than you think to being like DePaul. In the 1980s, we went on a downward spiral that was only saved by Kevin O'Neill. People who remember us as one of the top teams in college basketball remember us because of Al McGuire. Al is every bit ancient history as is the Meyers.

We made a Final Four in 2003 but could not sustain the excellence. We have been on a roller coaster ride ever since. Hopefully, we are in a state of sustained excellence now!

The difference over the years is we tried. I'm not sure Jean Lenti-Ponsetto and the DePaul brass did.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #486 on: February 09, 2024, 10:41:13 AM »
Brother Hards:

Sadly, we were closer than you think to being like DePaul. In the 1980s, we went on a downward spiral that was only saved by Kevin O'Neill. People who remember us as one of the top teams in college basketball remember us because of Al McGuire. Al is every bit ancient history as is the Meyers.

We made a Final Four in 2003 but could not sustain the excellence. We have been on a roller coaster ride ever since. Hopefully, we are in a state of sustained excellence now!

The difference over the years is we tried. I'm not sure Jean Lenti-Ponsetto and the DePaul brass did.

I did say 2021.  Because you referenced the Wojo era.

Sure, back in the day (let 80s) we were sliding that direction, but since KO we've been fine, and since we've joined the Big East we've been fine.

DePaul is in an abysmal state not because of coaching, but because they have a terrible athletic department.  They're more than a good coach away from relevancy.  They need an entire overhaul throughout the athletic department.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #487 on: February 09, 2024, 11:22:03 AM »
Brother Hards:

Sure, we didn't make multiple FF runs, but the 5 years after the FF would be a dream run for DePaul. I think you undersell how good MU's program has been in the 2000s.

Even the Wojo era would have DePaul fans thrilled.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #488 on: February 09, 2024, 11:24:09 AM »
Scoopers have poked fun at Moser

I can't speak for my fellow Scoopers, but I'm really poking fun at those who thought we should have hired Moser instead of Shaka. At least one of those people wanted Moser because he's white.

It took Moser forever to do anything at Loyola - most schools wouldn't have been anywhere near as patient, and would have fired him. But once he finally got the program winning, he obviously had success there. And he's done A-OK at Okla.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #489 on: February 09, 2024, 12:20:39 PM »
DePaul has 61 Big East wins in 17.5 seasons.

Wojo had 59 Big East wins in 7 seasons.

Shaka has 36 Big East wins in 2.5 seasons.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #490 on: February 09, 2024, 12:35:35 PM »

Yeah the idea we were anywhere close to DePaul at the end of Wojo is laughable. Depauls been in the big east as long as we have and their crowning achievement is being close to the tournament in 2007 akin to Wojo's medium year in 2018. That means even the worst coach in the history of CBB, over 7 years, had 4 years better or on par with DePaul's absolute best season in the past 20yrs.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #491 on: February 09, 2024, 12:51:28 PM »
My question is, if Creighton comes open would Moser prefer them to DePaul?

Creighton is the much better job.  DePaul has arguably been the worst high major for over a decade.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #492 on: February 09, 2024, 01:00:37 PM »
I can't speak for my fellow Scoopers, but I'm really poking fun at those who thought we should have hired Moser instead of Shaka. At least one of those people wanted Moser because he's white.

It took Moser forever to do anything at Loyola - most schools wouldn't have been anywhere near as patient, and would have fired him. But once he finally got the program winning, he obviously had success there. And he's done A-OK at Okla.
who on Scoop wanted Moser based on race?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #493 on: February 09, 2024, 01:04:21 PM »

We matched 28% of DePaul's total Big East wins last season alone.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #494 on: February 09, 2024, 01:23:00 PM »

Which is ironic because you spent a 6 year period posting every time Texas lost on here and telling everyone about his postseason failures.

Or, said in an 82 way, "You posted a gazillion times over the last 900 years telling us when Little Sister's of the poor beat Shaka's heroes.  But he'll have better luck here and I have faith going into every game that he'll have our heroes ready to go!  Of course I'm realistic enough to know that he won't win all bajillion games he coaches here, that's not reality!  But we're fans, it doesn't hurt to have hope!  Go Marquette!"

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #495 on: February 09, 2024, 01:26:14 PM »
Yeah the idea we were anywhere close to DePaul at the end of Wojo is laughable. Depauls been in the big east as long as we have and their crowning achievement is being close to the tournament in 2007 akin to Wojo's medium year in 2018. That means even the worst coach in the history of CBB, over 7 years, had 4 years better or on par with DePaul's absolute best season in the past 20yrs.

Yeah, it is dumb, with no basis in actual history (Marquette's or DePaul's). Though it really only comes from one poster who repeats it ad nauseam.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #496 on: February 09, 2024, 01:31:38 PM »
Which is ironic because you spent a 6 year period posting every time Texas lost on here and telling everyone about his postseason failures.

Or, said in an 82 way, "You posted a gazillion times over the last 900 years telling us when Little Sister's of the poor beat Shaka's heroes.  But he'll have better luck here and I have faith going into every game that he'll have our heroes ready to go!  Of course I'm realistic enough to know that he won't win all bajillion games he coaches here, that's not reality!  But we're fans, it doesn't hurt to have hope!  Go Marquette!"

TheStrand

• Walk-On
« Reply #497 on: February 09, 2024, 01:48:25 PM »

Speaking only about basketball:

Prior to Moser, Loyola had made one NCAA Tourney in 33 years. It had been 1 in 50 years. Loyola has won 3 recent regular season league titles. They have 7 all time.

Are these “Most schools” or “Most schools similar to Loyola.”  Gotta compare apples to apples. I think part of the issue is a few to some people were comparing Shaka at Texas and Moser at Loyola which isn’t exactly a fair apples to apples comparison.

Things are going well with MUBB and Shaka. Obviously Moser is a good coach too. There were other good candidates too.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 01:56:40 PM by TheStrand »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #498 on: February 09, 2024, 02:43:58 PM »
If I was Moser I would take the DePaul job in one second. He likely is not retiring from OK, he is a Chicago guy and can hold them up for a big contract. If he has success he can retire there, if he fails he will have a big payday regardless.

I'm not pro or anti Moser but I don't think he moves the needle so much that there are going to be many bigger opportunities to hit the lottery than DePaul. He is probably a perfect guy for that job.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #499 on: February 09, 2024, 02:53:30 PM »
If I was Moser I would take the DePaul job in one second. He likely is not retiring from OK, he is a Chicago guy and can hold them up for a big contract. If he has success he can retire there, if he fails he will have a big payday regardless.

Agreed. And the bar for “success” is very low there.   

feedback