Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Which of this year's warriors will be on a NBA roster in 12 months?

TKO
69 (29.9%)
Jop
10 (4.3%)
Ross
23 (10%)
Gold
11 (4.8%)
Oso
110 (47.6%)
Other
7 (3%)
KAM!!!!
1 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: Who is NBA bound in 24-25  (Read 4898 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Who is NBA bound in 24-25
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2023, 12:20:53 PM »
On the surface your point makes sense.  However, I see Kam as a taller Nick Van Exel - old school game that is really hard to defend.  Kam isn't an explosive athlete like Chase, yet Kam's change of pace, pivot game, and creativity make him extremely difficult to defend, coupled with being a lefty.

I also feel Kam is a better shooter than his 36% from 3 last season, and think he can be a 40% guy like Markus Howard.  Kam's 64% from 2FG is stellar, comparatively Markus was a 43% guy from 2FG. 

Let's not forget Kam was able to run PG during the NCAA in Tyler's absence, and Kam also scored 18 straight in an NCAA tournament game.

Kam's measurables may not blow one away, but his unique skill set should not be overlooked.  Brock Purdy of the 49ers is an example of a guy who's measurables didn't look NFL-worthy, but he's proven to be a very good QB.  Kolek can fall into this camp as well too.

I'll take your word on the Nick Van Exel comparison, I was three when he left Cincy. But as a pro, Van Exel was a PG who also had a reputation of being at least a decent defender on top of being an elite scorer. I think Kam is an elite scorer but without the PG and defensive skills, I just don't see it. His 2P FG% was ridiculous last season, I'm just not certain he would be able to come close to replicating it at the pro level. NBA defenses are not kind to below the rim players.

I'll also have to take your word on him being the PG against MSU. I was at the game and never watched the replay (why relive that?). My recollection was that Stevie and Sean took on the PG role in Tyler's absence.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2023, 01:03:37 PM »
Kam's 64% from 2FG is stellar, comparatively Markus was a 43% guy from 2FG. 

Kam was 64% his soph year. Markus was 53%.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2023, 01:43:00 PM »
I don't think Kam makes an NBA roster at any point, but I do think some are undervaluing his shooting. He only made 36% but the degree of difficulty on those was extremely high. He's taking step back threes, coming off of pin downs at high speed, shots that a lot of NBA guys struggle with. And he makes them pretty consistently.

If he was taking only the threes that other guys on MU took he'd be in the 40-45%, IMO.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2023, 03:07:14 PM »
[quote author=TAMU, Knower of Ball link=topic=65083.msg1576902#msg1576902 date=1697649653
I'll also have to take your word on him being the PG against MSU. I was at the game and never watched the replay (why relive that?). My recollection was that Stevie and Sean took on the PG role in Tyler's absence.
[/quote]

I just watched it yesterday.

Kolek had two quick fouls and Kam was the initial point guard following that amd did ok.

What stood out that game was Kam hit several tough threes but was inconsistent.

What also stood out was Omax’s length on offense and defense which will be sorely missed.  He also had many big threes and drives that led to fouls or layups.  Basically kept us in the game.  That scoring will need to be made up by Ross and Gold and I hope that it does.  The defense will be more tricky.

Here hoping for big time off-season development for Chase and Gold.  We’re hearing good things so that is a positive. And also hoping Kam is more consistent from three. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2023, 03:34:57 PM »
I just watched it yesterday.

So you a bit of a masochist or what?

Appreciate the analysis. I have the same concerns about replacing Omax. Fortunately, I think Ross and Gold have taken those next steps.
TAMU

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2023, 04:10:56 PM »
So you a bit of a masochist or what?

Appreciate the analysis. I have the same concerns about replacing Omax. Fortunately, I think Ross and Gold have taken those next steps.

I am a masochist.  My son asked me what the hell I was doing watching that game.   Unfortunately many of the late seasons wins got deleted by my wife and I needed a MU basketball fix.  Those last 6 minutes were not fun to watch.  Hell the first 10 minutes of the first half sucked as well. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2023, 04:26:37 PM »
I am a masochist.  My son asked me what the hell I was doing watching that game.   Unfortunately many of the late seasons wins got deleted by my wife and I needed a MU basketball fix.  Those last 6 minutes were not fun to watch.  Hell the first 10 minutes of the first half sucked as well.

For next time you need your fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jqY6Kb8DD0

It doesn't get better than that (so far).
TAMU

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2023, 05:05:58 PM »

Nice!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2023, 09:44:55 PM »

Very enjoyable.
Just watched the entire thing and a few things that jumped out that I had forgotten

1- excellent defense by Kam on that last play of the game. He had some defensive lapses where he forgot his guy, but overall defended Hawkins very well on several possessions.
My recollection was that OMax shut down Hawkins all game, but watching that reminded me that as I noticed often times last season Kams on ball and overall defense didn’t get the credit it deserved.

2- I didn’t realize Oso played so little in the second half. Seemed like he was never out there and was a non factor that game.
To that point, it seemed like nearly every UConn basket was an inside bunny, Sanogo ate Marquette alive.
With how elite MUs offense seemed (outside of that 1/10 stretch in the 2H) and how the shots were falling imagine if Marquette wasn’t a sieve on the interior…

3- That game was a 4 man show for Marquette. TyKo, Kam, Jop, and OMax were everything.
Sure others contributed here and there, but the above were far and away the best in that game.

PS. For the life of my I still cannot understand how OMax always seemed so far away from the basket all the time on the defensive end. I mean he played 34 minutes, Oso was in foul trouble, Ben and Jop were trying to hold on for dear life in the paint, and OMax had 3 boards.

I get that he was tasked with guarding a lot of wings and was therefore away from the basket a lot, I just think that his athleticism should have and could have really made a much bigger difference in the trenches.

On the plus side, Chase got in there and mixed it up a bunch down low and I look forward to that.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2023, 09:56:32 PM »
For now sure. But I am thinking pro potential. TAMU is right here - what does Kam do at an elite level?

Score. Not turn the ball over. Enjoy himself and not let the moment get too big for him.

I get the NBA body/measurements points- the association doesn’t usually draft guys that don’t fit their new athletic mold.
Look no further than OMax being a first rounder but Edey and Timme being undraftable, it’s a new era in the NBA.

Let not pretend that Kam isn’t in or shouldn’t be in the conversation though.
The 3 best players on the team are TyKo, Oso, and Kam.

Chase has the athletic gifts/measurement and makeup, Ben has the size/skill combo, Jop has the elite shooting, etc.

That backcourt is going to be a joy to watch.
Haven’t heard much about Kam this off-season, hope he comes out and torches the nets

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2023, 10:03:52 PM »
On the surface your point makes sense.  However, I see Kam as a taller Nick Van Exel - old school game that is really hard to defend.  Kam isn't an explosive athlete like Chase, yet Kam's change of pace, pivot game, and creativity make him extremely difficult to defend, coupled with being a lefty.

I also feel Kam is a better shooter than his 36% from 3 last season, and think he can be a 40% guy like Markus Howard.  Kam's 64% from 2FG is stellar, comparatively Markus was a 43% guy from 2FG. 

Let's not forget Kam was able to run PG during the NCAA in Tyler's absence, and Kam also scored 18 straight in an NCAA tournament game.

Kam's measurables may not blow one away, but his unique skill set should not be overlooked.  Brock Purdy of the 49ers is an example of a guy who's measurables didn't look NFL-worthy, but he's proven to be a very good QB.  Kolek can fall into this camp as well too.

Well said.

Measurables usually win in the draft room these days, but Kam isn’t a midget for NBA standards like Markus either (sorry Muggsy)

It would have probably helped his stock if he played more PG, which he won’t, or if he built up more muscle or coulda figured out a way to dunk on some people, which he can’t.

If he defends well and doesn’t get pushed around, and he scores at all 3 levels with an elite 3P shot he will have a case.
GMs will have to imagine the 2nd level because Marquette doesn’t shoot midrange Js, but I’m sure he can do that well too.