Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: RIP NIT?  (Read 7094 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
RIP NIT?
« on: September 11, 2023, 11:35:25 AM »
September 11, 2023
Big 12, Big Ten, Big East in talks to participate in new postseason event for teams not in NCAA Tournament

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/big-12-big-ten-big-east-in-talks-to-participate-in-new-postseason-event-for-teams-not-in-ncaa-tournament/

If such a made-for-TV bracket did materialize, it would destabilize the National Invitation Tournament (NIT). For nearly six decades, the NIT — which has lost some of its luster in recent years — has been the consolation destination for schools that do not make the coveted NCAA Tournament. If this yet-to-be-named Fox-run tournament came to be, it would mean teams from those three power conferences would forfeit their right to play in the NIT, sources said. That could threaten the NIT model.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
Re: RIP NIT?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 12:07:47 PM »
September 11, 2023
Big 12, Big Ten, Big East in talks to participate in new postseason event for teams not in NCAA Tournament

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/big-12-big-ten-big-east-in-talks-to-participate-in-new-postseason-event-for-teams-not-in-ncaa-tournament/

If such a made-for-TV bracket did materialize, it would destabilize the National Invitation Tournament (NIT). For nearly six decades, the NIT — which has lost some of its luster in recent years — has been the consolation destination for schools that do not make the coveted NCAA Tournament. If this yet-to-be-named Fox-run tournament came to be, it would mean teams from those three power conferences would forfeit their right to play in the NIT, sources said. That could threaten the NIT model.

This would mean Fox would renew the BE TV contract. And I would assume these teams would get a decent appearance fee for the tournament.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 12:58:40 PM »
Sign me up (but hopefully not)!

The NIT has become pretty meaningless anyway. If the payouts are better it is a no brainer.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 01:00:56 PM by Coleman »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 01:02:14 PM »
The NIT has only "lost some of its luster in recent years"?

It's been an utterly inconsequential event for decades.

If the NIT indeed is doomed, few if any tears would be shed. Hell, few would even notice.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 01:08:38 PM »
The NIT has only "lost some of its luster in recent years"?

It's been an utterly inconsequential event for decades.

If the NIT indeed is doomed, few if any tears would be shed. Hell, few would even notice.

The writing has been on the wall since the NCAA acquired the NIT. I'm surprised it has lasted this long, to be honest.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 01:12:07 PM »
As long as it makes money, it will keep going.

The proposed Fox tournament would function on a much more compact timescale at a single location. So more like a conference tournament than the NIT.

Not sure how many eyeballs would actually watch it though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 01:25:21 PM »
I wonder if this also forces an NCAA expansion to more teams? 

Personally I hope not but I am sure expanding the NCAA tourney (with more buys for higher seeded teams) will make decent coin.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 01:40:52 PM »
Goodbye NIT, Hello MIT!! (Mediocre Invitational Tournament)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 02:07:14 PM »
As long as it makes money, it will keep going.

The proposed Fox tournament would function on a much more compact timescale at a single location. So more like a conference tournament than the NIT.

Not sure how many eyeballs would actually watch it though.

So, would you watch if Marquette was in it?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 02:14:51 PM »

We won't be in it. With Shaka, our worst post season performance from here on will be the Sweet Sixteen.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2023, 02:17:35 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 02:17:44 PM »

I would but I’m not a fair weather fan who only cares when Marquette is winning
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2023, 02:27:16 PM »
The more I think about this, the less I think it's a threat to the NIT and the more I think it's a threat to the NCAA Tournament. This is the beginning of power leagues creating a breakaway tournament with only their members. Maybe it starts as the 16 bottom teams in these leagues, but this is how you get to a tournament that only allows the big boys and eventually could be expanded to include the top-64 teams in the top-5 leagues, maybe with a few invitations to whom they see fit.

More than half the NIT was composed of non-P5 last year. It will continue on with the middling attention it currently gets. The real danger is where this could go in 5-10 years if it starts to garner interest.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2023, 02:36:03 PM »
Scoopers should be on the selection committee, as they excel at NIT-picking.

Unfortunately, though, it appears they’d simply grab teams based on NET.

The timing though… AFTER the Elite 8?? 2.5+ weeks of waiting for a fake tourney seems odd.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2023, 02:45:25 PM »
Scoopers should be on the selection committee, as they excel at NIT-picking.

Unfortunately, though, it appears they’d simply grab teams based on NET.

The timing though… AFTER the Elite 8?? 2.5+ weeks of waiting for a fake tourney seems odd.

All the more reason to think this is aimed to destabilize the NCAAs and not the NIT. It's sliding into the biggest gap in the NCAA calendar (once the NCAAs start) where there are 5 straight days with no games. It tries to catch the college basketball popularity that already exists with large brands while everyone is waiting for the Final Four to tip off.

No idea if it will work, and it seems like most non-NCAA postseason tournaments are doomed to being an afterthought (NIT, Vegas 32 16 8, CBI, CIT, etc) but if your headliners are national brands (Michigan, Villanova, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin all would've been in this last year) and you are timing it to go up against tournaments with CUSA teams at best, you are putting forward teams that people could viably think "they might've made the Final 4" in the days leading up to that event.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2023, 02:51:21 PM »
I'll be honest, I don't see any way, shape, or form that this tournament is a threat to the NCAAT. Alumni of the programs and college bball diehards will watch this, no one else. I don't see any way this is a danger to the NCAAT. It's FOX trying to shake a little money out of the couch cushions during a time of year when they have a lull in programming.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

RealChiliWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2023, 02:52:02 PM »
The champion could be awarded the Jean Lenti-Ponsetto Trophy. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2023, 02:59:03 PM »
I still rank the NIT game Vs S Fla at the MECCA as one of my favorites that I’ve attended.

I wonder if we’ll see kids “sit out” the games
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2023, 03:09:44 PM »
The writing has been on the wall since the NCAA acquired the NIT. I'm surprised it has lasted this long, to be honest.

Brother Coleman

The NIT has been a "Not Invited" afterthought since the NCAA expanded its tournament to 48 and then 64 teams. Before the expansion, many high-quality, locked-out teams made this tournament fascinating.

But a tournament involving the seventh-best Big East team or the ninth best ACC team just doesn't cut it. That's why I used to argue Marquette shouldn't go at all. Period.

As constructed today, the NIT is for losers. We are not losers!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2023, 03:12:29 PM »
Precursor to all D1 teams enterin' da Tourney, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2023, 03:24:39 PM »
The more I think about this, the less I think it's a threat to the NIT and the more I think it's a threat to the NCAA Tournament. This is the beginning of power leagues creating a breakaway tournament with only their members. Maybe it starts as the 16 bottom teams in these leagues, but this is how you get to a tournament that only allows the big boys and eventually could be expanded to include the top-64 teams in the top-5 leagues, maybe with a few invitations to whom they see fit.

More than half the NIT was composed of non-P5 last year. It will continue on with the middling attention it currently gets. The real danger is where this could go in 5-10 years if it starts to garner interest.

Agreed Brew.  I like that the Big East would have a seat at the table in this tournament at least.  Hopefully that would keep us at the table for when the ultimate break away occurs.  The Big East just needs to keep winning and have it be really difficult to leave us out when the inevitable occurs.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2023, 03:28:34 PM »
If it’s not a true national championship, I don’t think it will be a big threat. I guess it would have to be the Top 5/6 conferences getting together. Not just ESPN with a few and Fox with a few conferences making a glorified Gavitt Games.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2023, 04:34:00 PM »
All the more reason to think this is aimed to destabilize the NCAAs and not the NIT. It's sliding into the biggest gap in the NCAA calendar (once the NCAAs start) where there are 5 straight days with no games. It tries to catch the college basketball popularity that already exists with large brands while everyone is waiting for the Final Four to tip off.

No idea if it will work, and it seems like most non-NCAA postseason tournaments are doomed to being an afterthought (NIT, Vegas 32 16 8, CBI, CIT, etc) but if your headliners are national brands (Michigan, Villanova, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin all would've been in this last year) and you are timing it to go up against tournaments with CUSA teams at best, you are putting forward teams that people could viably think "they might've made the Final 4" in the days leading up to that event.

I agree with this ...

there would be an NIL component with FOX planning “to encourage its corporate partners to set up Name, Image and Likeness deals for players who are competing; the network will not be able to pay players directly due to NCAA rules.”

Either the NCAA also adopts NIL deals (share payout with the players), or this tourney is the beginning of the end for the "non-NIL" tournaments (both holiday and post-season).
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2023, 04:36:20 PM »
I agree with this ...

there would be an NIL component with FOX planning “to encourage its corporate partners to set up Name, Image and Likeness deals for players who are competing; the network will not be able to pay players directly due to NCAA rules.”

Either the NCAA also adopts NIL deals (share payout with the players), or this tourney is the beginning of the end for the "non-NIL" tournaments (both holiday and post-season).

Good point. Tying NIL will only make the players more interested in playing in this tournament. Currently, teams cannot refuse an NCAA bid thanks to Al McGuire, but might we see that challenged?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2023, 05:38:39 PM »
Teams can’t turn down a bid. But players can. They are offering NIL so they will stick around to play.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback