Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Disappointing MU Recruits Ever  (Read 13399 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Most Disappointing MU Recruits Ever
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2023, 11:16:25 AM »
Terry Reason and Vic Lazretti were both dumped from scholly by Rick Majerus.  Hard to know what they would have done, although Vic was a high school teammate of Terry Kotter's and probably why he was recruited.
Reason had a nice head of 'jerry curls'.

I'll agree with Reason being a disappointment.  IIRC he was the #3 scorer in California prep history, but I don't know if he ever cracked the starting lineup here.  He flashed some talent, but didn't really even get much court time.

Does anyone know why Rick pulled those schollies?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2023, 03:20:35 PM »
Marquette called me to utilize a scholarship at Marquette  that I wasn't intending on using. Before that, I was only vaguely aware of Marquette and truly could not have told you with 100% where it was. I ended up going, so Marquette recruited me.
Pretty sure I can find a ton of people that would claim I was the most disappointing recruit ever, including the person that made the original call.  ;D

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2023, 03:34:24 PM »
Bart Miller had a great high school career in Kentucky.

https://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/bart_miller

At Marquette he excelled in the classroom like no other, but rarely saw the court.

It was recruiting misses like this one that helped Mike Deane out the door.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2023, 08:58:09 PM »
Doc Rivers was disappointing as a college player.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2023, 10:17:51 AM »
Doc Rivers was disappointing as a college player.

That’s a fact. He was (and still is) the highest rated recruit in MU history (consensus top 5). He was great at driving the ball but wasn’t a good shooter. Teams packed it in against us and he/we would usually struggle.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2023, 12:09:08 PM »
That’s a fact. He was (and still is) the highest rated recruit in MU history (consensus top 5). He was great at driving the ball but wasn’t a good shooter. Teams packed it in against us and he/we would usually struggle.
He was disappointing to some degree. Though he did average 14 ppg and almost 5 apg over 3 seasons as a starter. Also, to be be fair, he was not exactly surrounded by efficient outside shooters either.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2023, 03:03:03 PM »
I'm amazed that Joey Hauser doesn't get more flack.

Single handedly dismantled a preseason top 10 team and got his coach fired.

Now some guys were disappointing, but Joey was Hiroshima, no?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2023, 03:11:10 PM »
Nah, Woj got his own ass chit canned. Cat didn't have a clue, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2023, 03:13:24 PM »
Joey had an adequate freshman year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2023, 10:12:08 AM »

Yep. Joey was just the icing on the cake.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2023, 10:22:43 AM »

MU would have been a hell of a team sans Joey but Wojo couldn't read the room.  He should have let Joey go to MSU and let Brendan Bailey cook.  We still would have been a top 10 team.  Wojo never knew how to put the pieces together.  That's the price you pay for 15 years of sitting on the bench next to a guy who only recruited, rarely coached.     
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2023, 10:23:54 AM »
PRN and Lenny

I completed agree on Doc being a disappointment. He had his moments, but definitely nowhere near the player I had hoped he would be at MU.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2023, 10:47:42 AM »
MU would have been a hell of a team sans Joey but Wojo couldn't read the room.  He should have let Joey go to MSU and let Brendan Bailey cook.  We still would have been a top 10 team.  Wojo never knew how to put the pieces together.

Did we watch the same Brendan Bailey?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2023, 11:18:17 AM »

People forget he started over Joey in game 1. But lol, you're probably right.I’m
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:01:25 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2023, 01:38:38 PM »

All time MU great, Brendan Bailey
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2023, 12:38:02 PM »
Now some guys were disappointing, but Joey was Hiroshima, no?

Yep. He disappointed at Michigan State, too.

Joey had an adequate freshman year. 

Yep. It was his best season until he was a fifth-year senior under a Hall of Fame coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2023, 12:39:24 PM »
I completed agree on Doc being a disappointment. He had his moments, but definitely nowhere near the player I had hoped he would be at MU.

Kind of like with Ellenson, "disappointment" is relative when it comes to Rivers. He didn't have the kind of Marquette career that his ratings and talent suggested he would have ... but he wasn't Lloyd Moore or Harry Froling or some of the other ballyhooed catastrophes that have been mentioned by other Scoopers.

Rivers was often very good - just not consistently good enough given his talent.

I admit that it's hard for me to be overly critical of a guy who made my favorite shot by a Warrior during my time at Marquette. Personally, I've never heard a louder MU home-court reaction than when Glenn tossed in that 35-footer to beat evil ND. Not to mention that he was a great kid back then and has been a great ambassador for MU since.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2023, 12:52:45 PM »
Kind of like with Ellenson, "disappointment" is relative when it comes to Rivers. He didn't have the kind of Marquette career that his ratings and talent suggested he would have ... but he wasn't Lloyd Moore or Harry Froling or some of the other ballyhooed catastrophes that have been mentioned by other Scoopers.

Rivers was often very good - just not consistently good enough given his talent.

I admit that it's hard for me to be overly critical of a guy who made my favorite shot by a Warrior during my time at Marquette. Personally, I've never heard a louder MU home-court reaction than when Glenn tossed in that 35-footer to beat evil ND. Not to mention that he was a great kid back then and has been a great ambassador for MU since.

This is why Henry Ellenson is so high up on the disappointment rankings.

No moment and no engagement since. 

It just felt dirty.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2023, 01:19:25 PM »

It just felt dirty.

You bet, dirty. Filthy.  Like that win in Madison in Ryan’s second to last game. The school we all love to hate would have rolled us without him.  I’d give it all back to feel pure and clean again. 

And right, no moment either.  Sticking it to the Kohl Center riding him all day and hitting big buckets with a W out of it. Yuck. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 01:30:22 PM by HutchwasClutch »

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2023, 01:40:10 PM »
Doc's problem was the disastrous team dynamics during the '82/'83 season. He had some culpability in that implosion, but the coaching staff led by the often drunk and always deaf Hank Raymonds carried the bulk of the blame.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2023, 03:06:57 PM »

Mike
I respect the fact that you have a personal history with Doc  that includes pleasant memories on and off the court. And he was/is a great guy. But he remains the most highly rated (consensus top 5) player ever to wear a  Marquette uniform and his three years here were mostly disappointing. The team didn’t do much and his numbers weren’t great.

I won’t list all the forwards and centers who were better at MU than Doc - I’ll stick to apples to apples comparisons. IMO The following guards had better careers at MU:
Meminger, Butch Lee, Tatum, Lloyd Walton, Wardle, Hutchins, Tony Miller, McNeal, James, Tony Smith, Worthen, Diener, Wade, DJO, Vander, Howard and Kolek. And almost all of these guys weren’t just better individually - they led their teams to more success than Doc did.

Doc was going to be the guy who returned MU to the top echelon of college basketball after a brief hiatus. It never happened. We didn’t come close and his numbers were only OK. So much was expected, so little was realized - And shortly thereafter the bottom fell out. Fairly or not, for that reason he’s my pick as our most disappointing recruit ever.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2023, 10:11:33 PM »
Mike
I respect the fact that you have a personal history with Doc  that includes pleasant memories on and off the court. And he was/is a great guy. But he remains the most highly rated (consensus top 5) player ever to wear a  Marquette uniform and his three years here were mostly disappointing. The team didn’t do much and his numbers weren’t great.

I won’t list all the forwards and centers who were better at MU than Doc - I’ll stick to apples to apples comparisons. IMO The following guards had better careers at MU:
Meminger, Butch Lee, Tatum, Lloyd Walton, Wardle, Hutchins, Tony Miller, McNeal, James, Tony Smith, Worthen, Diener, Wade, DJO, Vander, Howard and Kolek. And almost all of these guys weren’t just better individually - they led their teams to more success than Doc did.

Doc was going to be the guy who returned MU to the top echelon of college basketball after a brief hiatus. It never happened. We didn’t come close and his numbers were only OK. So much was expected, so little was realized - And shortly thereafter the bottom fell out. Fairly or not, for that reason he’s my pick as our most disappointing recruit ever.

Reasonable argument, Tony.

When I think of "most disappointing," I think of a hyped recruit who was a total bust. But I totally get where you're coming from.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2023, 01:35:43 PM »

We share this perspective completely.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2023, 01:51:49 PM »

It just felt dirty.

He’s been back a few times. I remember seeing him behind the bench his rookie year.

Friends call me Shaka

• Walk-On
« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2023, 09:30:05 PM »
Corey Floyd was the downfall of dukiet