Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Any Actual Thoughts from Open Practice?  (Read 5718 times)

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
Any Actual Thoughts from Open Practice?
« on: August 03, 2023, 10:22:49 AM »
i love how in the open practice thread there are about two posts about the practice then 63 about ben's boot or michigan state....

Anyone who went have some actual thoughts on the players?  Chase Ross has been most talked about...  Apparently Oso was hitting 3's yesterday prior to official practice, did we see any shot other than a dunk in practice? Tre Norman was rumored to be most ready freshman, but Zaide seemed garner praise.

TIA for keeping it on topic.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Any Actual Thoughts from Open Practice?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 10:33:04 AM »
i love how in the open practice thread there are about two posts about the practice then 63 about ben's boot or michigan state....

Anyone who went have some actual thoughts on the players?  Chase Ross has been most talked about...  Apparently Oso was hitting 3's yesterday prior to official practice, did we see any shot other than a dunk in practice? Tre Norman was rumored to be most ready freshman, but Zaide seemed garner praise.

TIA for keeping it on topic.

Chase Ross is going to take a leap. 

Oso real O/U on 3’s attempted during the season is set at 10.5

Ben in a boot is an important discussion

Frosh will see limited minutes barring injuries once Big East play starts and that’s ok

Joplin will be talked about years from now as one of the guys that set the foundation.  He is taking a leap this year as well
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 11:02:12 AM »
Oso’s form on 3s is…..well not good. He may take one in a game if no one is within 10’.

Also, Zaide went 3-3 from deep during a later scrimmage….and had a monstrous tomahawk dunk that got the attention of the crowd.

Al missed some layups and never shot again, will be great development for him having to defend a stronger, quicker, Oso.

Sean looked lightning fast again and more able.

Stevie, Oso and Kam look bigger.

Jop made like 9 of 10 3s in a deep drill.

But yes, Chase looked fantastic. More confident on closeouts and 3s.

Tyler was tuning up players young and old on where he wants them.

Maybe it was one scrimmage, but Tre didn’t look good last night.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 11:20:34 AM »
Oso’s form on 3s is…..well not good. He may take one in a game if no one is within 10’.

Also, Zaide went 3-3 from deep during a later scrimmage….and had a monstrous tomahawk dunk that got the attention of the crowd.

Al missed some layups and never shot again, will be great development for him having to defend a stronger, quicker, Oso.

Sean looked lightning fast again and more able.

Stevie, Oso and Kam look bigger.

Jop made like 9 of 10 3s in a deep drill.

But yes, Chase looked fantastic. More confident on closeouts and 3s.

Tyler was tuning up players young and old on where he wants them.

Maybe it was one scrimmage, but Tre didn’t look good last night.

Good stuff. Overall, is the development of returning players where you expected to see it? Behind? Ahead?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 11:27:54 AM »
I liked what I saw from Zaide. My biggest takeaway, I loved the excitement surrounding the program. Very nice turnout for a Wednesday at 5pm.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 11:28:24 AM »
Good stuff. Overall, is the development of returning players where you expected to see it? Behind? Ahead?
It was obvious to me that they are the leaders……they are instructing the new guys on positioning etc.

Alot if made 3s last night.

The coaches seem to be working quite a bit with the young guys.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 11:33:22 AM »
Oso & TK were as expected. They are the leaders of this team. Oso's three is repeatable, but so slow to develop. If it's reliable enough to keep defenses honest, it's not hard to defend. TK's shot looks even better. He starts his motion higher. Tyler just oozes confidence.

Kam was solid, looks most improved on the defensive end. Had a block on TK at the rim, and later they did one on one drills where Kam denied first Joplin then Kolek from getting to the hoop. I thought back to the first public practice at Fiserv in 2021 where Kam was matched with Morsell in a number of drills. Seeing him take a defensive lead was encouraging.

Stevie was fine, biggest difference was some better and more creative passing.

Jop was better on defense than offense. His shooting was inconsistent, though he showed more willingness to pass. He had a lot of excitement for the defensive end, though. Had some nice blocks and active hands. He also took Oso much of the time as Amadou was more a center field rim protector.

Chase looks to have made the biggest leap. Far more confidence on his shot, still has the driving ability but he was more creative finishing, not always looking to make a poster. Solid defense as well.

Sean was good. You forget how fast he is. Definitely ran the offense for the Gold team. Very active hands, considering his size the number of deflections he gets is impressive. Don't love his jumper, though. Imagine at some point they'll rework that. But he gets to the rim reliably.

Of the freshmen, Zaide looked the best. Really nice three point stroke and consistently made shots. Also had a great pump fake, drive, and dunk that was reminiscent of freshman Chase. The consistent talk has been around Tre, but Zaide was better yesterday. Norman was pretty nondescript. Not very assertive on offense, defense was fine but didn't stand out. Amadou is athletic but very raw. He tried some passing that looked like Oso in intent but not execution. Had one bunny he missed off a beauty of a pass from Stevie, then missed the follow. Later, TK served him on a platter and he dunked it, so that was better. Defense definitely isn't there yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 11:37:12 AM »
Steele had this on Chase:But the player who looked like he had made the biggest leap in the off-season is 6-foot-5 guard Chase Ross.
Ross flashed his talent as a freshman, but he shot 20 for 62 on three-pointers. He looked way more confident beyond the three-point line on Wednesday, spotting up in the corners and nailing the majority of his attempts.
"Just getting in the gym," Ross said. "Getting extra work. Getting shots up. Just getting the routine and more confidence from last year."
Ross even had a play where he pump-faked to get his defender in the air, then side-stepped with one dribble to knock down another triple.
"Chase is probably the most improved player on our team from last year to this point right now," MU head coach Shaka Smart said. "Obviously we still have a few months until we play.
"For us, we want to continue to grow as much as we possibly can. That's every guy on our team. But Chase has really taken a step with his maturity, his confidence and some of the basketball-specific areas like shooting, finishing. Excited about him going into Year 2."

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 11:54:50 AM »
Steele had this on Chase:But the player who looked like he had made the biggest leap in the off-season is 6-foot-5 guard Chase Ross.
Ross flashed his talent as a freshman, but he shot 20 for 62 on three-pointers. He looked way more confident beyond the three-point line on Wednesday, spotting up in the corners and nailing the majority of his attempts.
"Just getting in the gym," Ross said. "Getting extra work. Getting shots up. Just getting the routine and more confidence from last year."
Ross even had a play where he pump-faked to get his defender in the air, then side-stepped with one dribble to knock down another triple.
"Chase is probably the most improved player on our team from last year to this point right now," MU head coach Shaka Smart said. "Obviously we still have a few months until we play.
"For us, we want to continue to grow as much as we possibly can. That's every guy on our team. But Chase has really taken a step with his maturity, his confidence and some of the basketball-specific areas like shooting, finishing. Excited about him going into Year 2."

I was pretty darn excited about Chase last year. If he and Jop make big leaps on both sides of the floor….  Well, I don’t know what but I’m pumped. 

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 12:57:05 PM »

I see Chase as the X factor that can get the team to the next level, much in the way OMax did last season.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 01:00:32 PM »

I think you are ignoring the fact that Marquette is ensuring that Oso is getting advice and help from Marquette's most accurate three point shooter ever......Theo John.  ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 01:14:14 PM »
I love that quote from Shaka about Chase. If he is excited about Chase's potential for this season, we all should be. If Ross is "SOtG-worthy," it brings a new dimension to the team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 01:22:12 PM »
I liked what I saw from Zaide. My biggest takeaway, I loved the excitement surrounding the program. Very nice turnout for a Wednesday at 5pm.

It's pretty clear that Chase/Zaide are the type of player that Shaka is looking for to establish at the 2/3 spot. Started with Morsell, but this is probably the evolution when you add in the offensive end.

Excited to hear that players are taking some big steps for us. I am already kinda amped about basketball season and we've got a ways to go.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 02:43:12 PM »
The question is does Shaka and the staff have the temerity/guts to actually move Stevie Mitchell and/or Joplin to reserve rolls to instead give Chase Ross the minutes his elite talent deserves? 

Stevie Mitchell is definitely a glue guy, great defense and amazing basketball intelligence as he gets tons of steals based on guessing on passing lanes vs having elite quickness and athletic ability. 

Joplin is a nice player but he is also limited athletically and is a turnover/defensive lapse waiting to happen.  At times he gets hot and is a game changer but most games he's just a nice guy to come off the bench to spell a stud like OMax. 

Well we have another stud in Chase Ross... are we really going play politics by giving older players his minutes and keep him at 10 to 15 minutes a game again?  He needs to be playing close to 25 minutes a game for us to be the best we can be. 

I certainly hope the staff realizes this or we won't be as good and he'll be gone after this season.  🤷‍♂️

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 02:54:28 PM »
“Well we have another stud in Chase Ross”

Potential stud……..we will see. He looked good last night but let’s not overreact to one practice.

Stevie has already proven his worth and deserves his minutes……I don’t see his role diminishing.

I’m not worried about  Shaka’s “guts”.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2023, 02:54:41 PM »
Stevie averaged 23 mpg, Jop 19, Chase 16.  Stevie will likely be getting none of OMax's departing 29 mpg.  Jop will get some, Chase will get some, the Fresh will get some. What's the magic number for Chase next year? IDK, but I trust the staff to figure it out more than I do someone who doesn't even know how much he played last year. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2023, 02:58:43 PM »
The question is does Shaka and the staff have the temerity/guts to actually move Stevie Mitchell and/or Joplin to reserve rolls to instead give Chase Ross the minutes his elite talent deserves? 

Stevie Mitchell is definitely a glue guy, great defense and amazing basketball intelligence as he gets tons of steals based on guessing on passing lanes vs having elite quickness and athletic ability. 

Joplin is a nice player but he is also limited athletically and is a turnover/defensive lapse waiting to happen.  At times he gets hot and is a game changer but most games he's just a nice guy to come off the bench to spell a stud like OMax. 

Well we have another stud in Chase Ross... are we really going play politics by giving older players his minutes and keep him at 10 to 15 minutes a game again?  He needs to be playing close to 25 minutes a game for us to be the best we can be. 

I certainly hope the staff realizes this or we won't be as good and he'll be gone after this season.  🤷‍♂️

Silliness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2023, 03:01:57 PM »
I have little doubt that the coaching staff will do what they think is best for the team.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2023, 03:20:10 PM »

Yes, shooting 50% from three in one practice means Chase Ross is now going pro, and is the best player on the team. He will surely get drafted over Oso and Kolek playing the way he plays during his "10 to 15 minutes a game". Ross already played 16.4 minutes per game last year as a freshman, so i can't wait to see them reduce his minutes. Ross will play a few more minutes than that this year. He wasn't good enough offensively to play more than that.

Lastly of  the two, Joplin is significantly more likely not to start than Mitchell is.

Stevie Mitchell is actually good. Calling him a "glue guy" because we have offensive monsters on this team, is reductive. He gets a ridiculous amount of stats when he is called upon. He generates turnovers the best, on the team, and he turns it over the second least on the team behind Kam Jones. Stevie is the 4th best player on this team pretty clearly. He generated to the box score the 4th most.

He might have been the 6th contributor offensively. But he is easily the number 1 defensive contributor.

(you can argue for Oso or Ross but i think Oso was more of a factor because of our lack of defense for out backup bigs, and Ross just went for steals and committed fouls, fouling at the highest rate.)

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2023, 04:06:23 PM »
“Well we have another stud in Chase Ross”

Potential stud……..we will see. He looked good last night but let’s not overreact to one practice.

Stevie has already proven his worth and deserves his minutes……I don’t see his role diminishing.

I’m not worried about  Shaka’s “guts”.

Agreed….Stevie isnt going anywhere.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2023, 04:43:00 PM »
Stevie averaged 23 mpg, Jop 19, Chase 16.  Stevie will likely be getting none of OMax's departing 29 mpg.  Jop will get some, Chase will get some, the Fresh will get some. What's the magic number for Chase next year? IDK, but I trust the staff to figure it out more than I do someone who doesn't even know how much he played last year.

You’re forgetting Ben Gold - he gets some of OMax’s minutes too.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2023, 04:58:44 PM »
I think you are ignoring the fact that Marquette is ensuring that Oso is getting advice and help from Marquette's most accurate three point shooter ever......Theo John.  ;D

Theo John? Mike Kinsella might have a thing or two to say about that.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2023, 06:27:16 PM »
I have little doubt that the coaching staff will do what they think is best for the team.
Exactly….go figure.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2023, 06:51:46 PM »
Ross will not start.  He will be the 6th man, play 20+ mins a game. 

And … I would say OSO takes less than 10 3 pt shots this year.  As someone said, he really looks ( literally ) uncomfortable shooting it.

Overall, prob the most athletic team I have seen at MU.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2023, 06:58:16 PM »
Yes Goose……there was a different energy this time from practices in the past. I felt fortunate to be walking into the AL yesterday.

feedback