Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Read Ben Steele’s Dwyane Wade Series  (Read 1444 times)

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
Read Ben Steele’s Dwyane Wade Series
« on: August 01, 2023, 07:19:58 AM »
Ben Steele is publishing a series honoring DWade’s enshrinement in the Hall of Fame. First piece was great. Let’s give him some clicks: https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2023/08/01/dwyane-wade-recruited-to-marquette-by-tom-crean-from-illinois-warriors/70462743007/

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Read Ben Steele’s Dwyane Wade Series
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 07:49:45 AM »
Excellent piece today by Steele.  Cordell’s account on what Quentin Richardson told Wade on his DePaul visit is pretty incredible stuff to hear.  Who knew Richardson had such a profound impact on direction of MU basketball?!  Maybe Wade would have ended up at MU anyway, but Cordell apparently felt it was a huge moment.

Also kudos to Crean (sorry 4ever, credit where it’s due) and Buckley being able to project the incredible untapped potential and Fr Wild for giving the green light to allow him in as a partial qualifier. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 08:10:33 AM »
Ben Steele can't be his real name

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 11:24:47 AM »

His legal name is actually Steele Fox, but he wanted to have a more vanilla name as a reporter.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 11:39:39 AM »
Part 2 is up today. It mostly details his first year while sitting out.

Best part IMO:
Wardle: "After my senior year, I got asked by the Milwaukee Bucks to come play pickup games in the summer. But Coach Crean asked the Bucks if Dwyane could come along because he was a talent. So Dwyane was in the car, I drove him over and we went to play open gym with the Bucks. And on the way, I was driving my girlfriend’s car at the time – who is now my wife Lecia for 20 years – so I have Lecia’s car and it starts storming out and we get in a little fender-bender car accident. I’m kind of all discouraged, worried about the car, wondering what I am going to do. But this was a big open gym for me because I am trying to play well and impress people because I’m done playing at Marquette.
"I just remember that open gym that day with Dwyane, that was the day I said D-Wade is completely not just a NBA player but a NBA all-star. Because I watched him in that open gym play unbelievable against Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, Big Dog (Glenn Robinson). And he hadn’t played a college game yet and he was controlling the open gym. I remember Sam Cassell was talking trash to Big Dog like ‘Who is this guy?’ And there was such a buzz in the gym about him that the GM and the coaches just came down to the court to stand on the sidelines to watch this kid because he was playing so well. And I remember Coach Crean calling me like ‘How’d you play, Brian?’ I’m like ‘I wasn’t very good.’ I was always very self-aware as a player. I go, ‘I wasn’t very good but, Coach, you not only have a NBA player on your team, this guy is going to be an all-star just because I just watched him really do what he wanted to do in a gym full of all-stars."

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 12:05:34 PM »

Bend Steele is his full given name.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 12:05:55 PM »
Part 2 is up today. It mostly details his first year while sitting out.

Best part IMO:

That was an awesome story!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 01:32:51 PM »
Q was on the Ryen Russillo pod recently and talked about how he often went up to MU to visit Cordell + Wardle.  He called Cordell his best friend.

This Steele peice is the best MU stuff I have ever read.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 04:30:58 PM »
Q was on the Ryen Russillo pod recently and talked about how he often went up to MU to visit Cordell + Wardle.  He called Cordell his best friend.

This Steele peice is the best MU stuff I have ever read.

Q and Dennis Gates worked for a guy in my trading pit at the CBOE so I had the opportunity to get to know them a little. Very nice young men.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 10:32:54 PM »
Q and Dennis Gates worked for a guy in my trading pit at the CBOE so I had the opportunity to get to know them a little. Very nice young men.

Mizzou had a day people could go tour the arena, locker rooms, practice gym, etc. to try to sell season tickets. I went just to see the facilities since I’d just moved to Columbia and I chatted with Gates for a few minutes about Milwaukee/Marquette. Seems like a great guy. Said he hung out at Mayfair Mall a lot in Milwaukee.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback