[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Field of 68 Offseason Grade  (Read 4929 times)

Tha Hound

• All American

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Field of 68 Offseason Grade
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 10:17:39 PM »
Fantastic stuff there, enjoyable watch

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 08:04:16 AM »
Interesting…

And, this will prob put me in the minority, but … this year’s roster makes for a top 10 team, and possibly a FF, it’s
Not a NC roster.

Hope I’m wrong.   Will be at the practice to check them out.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 09:50:57 AM »
If we stay healthy and see similar returning player development to last year, it certainly could be an NC roster. Especially because I think this is the kind of team that's built to get a 1/2 seed, and as we saw last year, all you have to do is get there. No one would've called last year an NC roster but if TK doesn't get hurt, I think we beat MSU and the only team along our path that might've beaten us was UConn (who we'd already beat 2/3).

The biggest loss is certainly O-Max's ability on the defensive end. That said, while O-Max came into last year with great pressing ability and developed into an excellent defensive stopper against guys like Hawkins, that was never a given. O-Max improved, but the entire team improved on defense. Kam, Stevie, and Oso were all better defenders in Year 2 and Ross, Gold, and Joplin could all take defensive steps forward that would continue that team D improvement.

Last year the staff bet on improvement and it paid off with the highest kenpom rank finish in program history and two Big East titles. Next year should be even better, and if that isn't an NC contender, I don't know what is.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2023, 09:55:49 AM »
Agreed, health and development will determine whether this is a NC caliber roster.   

Very few were predicting a Big East Championship, Big East Tourney Championship, and 29 wins a year ago.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2023, 11:46:14 AM »
Agreed, health and development will determine whether this is a NC caliber roster.   

Very few were predicting a Big East Championship, Big East Tourney Championship, and 29 wins a year ago.

Ahem.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 01:30:55 PM »
I've been a bit surprised but some of the more cautious or pessimistic views on the team for the upcoming season. 

While the record won't be better than last year, I fully expect the team to be better, even with a big loss in OMax. 

Can't remember the last time I've been this excited for a season. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 01:44:32 PM »
I've been a bit surprised but some of the more cautious or pessimistic views on the team for the upcoming season. 

While the record won't be better than last year, I fully expect the team to be better, even with a big loss in OMax. 

I can think of three times since I graduated that I was this excited in summer. The Amigos senior season, which lasted until the first few minutes of the UConn game. The 2013-14 summer before Vander Blue declared for the draft and Jameel McKay announced he was leaving before ever playing for us. Finally, the 2019-20 season for those brief few days between the end of the season and the Hauser transfer announcement.

Hopefully this excitement lasts longer than any of those last three.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 03:16:42 PM »
I can think of three times since I graduated that I was this excited in summer. The Amigos senior season, which lasted until the first few minutes of the UConn game. The 2013-14 summer before Vander Blue declared for the draft and Jameel McKay announced he was leaving before ever playing for us. Finally, the 2019-20 season for those brief few days between the end of the season and the Hauser transfer announcement.

Hopefully this excitement lasts longer than any of those last three.

Yeah, the reason I didn't mention the Vander Blue and the Hauser letter writing fiasco was because that excitement was very short-lived.  Not the case this time. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 11:02:39 AM »

I’m pretty excited as well.  It should be a fun year.  2003 was the only final four year that I can remember well.  I was too young in in 77.  I was much more confident of a final four appearance with that group before the season started than I am with this one. But I am optimistic for at least a second weekend appearance in the NCAA tournament.  Would love to see another final four.

I also agree with the optimism of the three amigos final year.   DJs injury was a heart breaker.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 12:06:38 PM »
I’m pretty excited as well.  It should be a fun year.  2003 was the only final four year that I can remember well.  I was too young in in 77.  I was much more confident of a final four appearance with that group before the season started than I am with this one. But I am optimistic for at least a second weekend appearance in the NCAA tournament.  Would love to see another final four.

I also agree with the optimism of the three amigos final year.   DJs injury was a heart breaker.
The air went out of the BC when DJ hurt his foot.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2023, 12:27:59 PM »
Haven't been this enthused about the coming season since the McGuire era.

We shall see but it's encouraging.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2023, 05:02:37 PM »
Interesting…

And, this will prob put me in the minority, but … this year’s roster makes for a top 10 team, and possibly a FF, it’s
Not a NC roster.

Hope I’m wrong.   Will be at the practice to check them out.

If a team is in the top 10 and a legit FF contender, it also is a legit contender for the national title IMHO.

And if the 2024 NCAAT is anything like the 2023 NCAAT, there will be way more than 10 contenders.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2023, 05:48:28 AM »
I think coaches will play more of the gap defense that Izzo laid out against us in the tournament….will need to adjust to that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2023, 06:23:57 AM »
Fair.  If they can teach it.   I also think that having TKo healthy will help.   Plus, now that Shaka has seen it, he can prepare a counter.    I agree with your larger point.   Izzo got us.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2023, 08:20:35 AM »
We had a long stretch in that game - from the last 6 or so minutes of the first half through the first 3 mins of the second half - where we killed that defense, outscoring MSU 22-9 to take a lead. Then we just couldn't make any shots or get anything from TK. I'm not overly concerned that a certain kind of defense is going to consistently beat us.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2023, 08:34:16 AM »
We had a long stretch in that game - from the last 6 or so minutes of the first half through the first 3 mins of the second half - where we killed that defense, outscoring MSU 22-9 to take a lead. Then we just couldn't make any shots or get anything from TK. I'm not overly concerned that a certain kind of defense is going to consistently beat us.

Everyone goes right to the TK injury and I understand why, but to me the turning point was the Joplin and Ross turnovers with about 8 minutes left (going off memory). They each had 2, 4 total, unforced turnovers in row. Pretty sure they both dribbled off their feet and straight up didn’t catch passes that were right in their hands. Again, going off memory. And during that stretch MSU didn’t score either. I think we were up and never stretched the leads due to the turnovers
Bring back FFP!!!

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2023, 08:53:29 AM »
It's certain that MU is not going to surprise anyone this season. From game one, every opponent will be as well prepared as they can be. The big question this year is how the guys will adjust to having high expectations put on them and being the hunted instead of the hunter. That's a big adjustment to make.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2023, 10:16:38 AM »
Do you think MU "surprised" anybody the second time around the league last season? Did we "surprise" opponents in the BET?

I don't think we'll surprise anybody in 2023-24, either. And that's OK. We don't need to win by stealth.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2023, 10:56:35 AM »

Agree

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2023, 10:56:57 AM »
Do you think MU "surprised" anybody the second time around the league last season? Did we "surprise" opponents in the BET?

I don't think we'll surprise anybody in 2023-24, either. And that's OK. We don't need to win by stealth.

Agree

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2023, 11:55:29 AM »
Fair.  If they can teach it.   I also think that having TKo healthy will help.   Plus, now that Shaka has seen it, he can prepare a counter.    I agree with your larger point.   Izzo got us.

Teams that played gap containment defenses against MU:  Purdue, Mississippi St., Wisconsin, and MSU. The 0fer versus B1G teams is telling.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2023, 12:17:45 PM »
Teams that played gap containment defenses against MU:  Purdue, Mississippi St., Wisconsin, and MSU. The 0fer versus B1G teams is telling.

Shaka can’t beat Big 10 teams

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2023, 12:42:55 PM »

Scored1.12 ppp against UW and 1.06 vs Purdue……..offense wasn’t the problem in those games.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2023, 05:03:52 PM »

This. Izzo didn’t beat us - we beat ourselves.