Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: didn't see the game, but 40 FTs, come on  (Read 1282 times)

mviale

• All American
didn't see the game, but 40 FTs, come on
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »
I knew Hightower was behind this one.  Looks like he put handcuffs on the ooze.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:22:07 AM by mu_hilltopper »
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ecompt

• All American
Re: didnt see the game, but 40 FTs come one
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:28:58 PM »
It was ridiculous at both ends. Very tough to watch. We played well for about 12 of the 40 minutes.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:57:55 PM »
if St. John's just makes a few free throws this could've been a completely different game. I'm glad they couldn't even hit 2/3 though. I realize they're an extremely young team, but here's some advice for St. John's: FT's and TO's (23! ouch), maximize on the former and cut down on the latter and you're in business.

reesiecup210

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:04:48 PM »
The inconsistency of the calls was pretty unbelievable; not just against us, but against the Johnnies too. It seemed like the refs were calling everything solely based on which team had the Mo going. First half during our run we got away with a ton (most notably the Ousmane travel where he took at least 3 steps after pulling down a board). Then in the second half, during SJ's run, it seemed like we couldn't get a call and SJ couldn't get enough of them. These refs need to be more objective out there. It's easy to blame it on Hightower (who believe me I can't stand), but all 3 of them were guilty tonight. I'm just glad we built that huge cushion and that SJ couldn't hit a free throw to save their lives. Here's to fair, objective refs on Saturday! Let's go Marquette!

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:07:19 PM »
The inconsistency of the calls was pretty unbelievable; not just against us, but against the Johnnies too. It seemed like the refs were calling everything solely based on which team had the Mo going. First half during our run we got away with a ton (most notably the Ousmane travel where he took at least 3 steps after pulling down a board). Then in the second half, during SJ's run, it seemed like we couldn't get a call and SJ couldn't get enough of them. These refs need to be more objective out there. It's easy to blame it on Hightower (who believe me I can't stand), but all 3 of them were guilty tonight. I'm just glad we built that huge cushion and that SJ couldn't hit a free throw to save their lives. Here's to fair, objective refs on Saturday! Let's go Marquette!

that's how hightower and driscoll roll

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:43:14 AM »
Being at the game, there was just no rythm.  Admittedly, the crowd was pathetic but the fouls just threw off the few people who were there.

What happened to the Big East being a physical league?  We are lucky the Johnnies missed their free ones.  This would have been right down to the last shot if they shot even 70% for the game.

A few years ago I was concerned that the Big East was too lenient with the physicality.  Especially since in the NCAA's, they call more fouls.  I am hoping that the tourney is about the same as the Big East now, so at least we will be used to it.

We do need to cut down on our fouls.  We had some reach in fouls (which we have to accept since we created 23 turnovers), but the bulk of them were over the back or fouling the shooter.