Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Man has SJU fallen on tough times. The crowd was  (Read 2797 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Man has SJU fallen on tough times. The crowd was
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:01:47 PM »

downright embarassing. Were there even 3 thousand at the game?

mviale

• All American
Re: Man has SJU fallen on tough times. The crowd was
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:04:48 PM »
agree - tough to see a old giant falling into disrepair.  Carnaseca (sp?) was the man!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:06:06 PM »
6,413, according to the box score.

I went to a few NY CityHawks arena football games in the 90's when they existed and played at MSG when I was in high school, and that's about what they drew.

I now see why the Johnnies only have 5 or 6 games at MSG this year.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:07:38 PM »
6,413, according to the box score.

I went to a few NY CityHawks arena football games in the 90's when they existed and played at MSG when I was in high school, and that's about what they drew.

I now see why the Johnnies only have 5 or 6 games at MSG this year.

No way there were that many there. That place was empty.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
Looks like Carnasecca Arena, their version of the Al, holds 6,008. If the box score number was the true attendance, then that might have been a perfect sellout for tonight.

As we know from playing in the BC though, empty seats look a LOT worse in a big arena.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 12:39:14 AM »
That program has really fallen into disarray.  And their most talented freshmen leaning towards transferring too.  If I'm not mistaken they lost two players who would have earned serious minutes this year to transfer also.  For playing in New York City and in the Garden (at least part time, for now) it's really unfortunate for them, and for the Big East, that their program is in such awful shape.  Also makes what MU has been able to accomplish that much more impressive.

update: St. John's recent transfers

After 2005-06 season:
Cedric Jackson, G, Sophomore, 4.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg to Cleveland State (he just torched UWM for 18 and 9 tonight)

After 2006-07 season:
Avery Patterson, G, Junior, 10.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg
Ricky Torres, G, Sophomore, 2.3 ppg, .8 rpg

Norm Roberts has also had academic and ileligibility issues with recruits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Roberts)
He's only been there four years, but if he loses Burrell to transfer, I don't know if they can justify keeping him around with no success, no fan support, and by banking on a roster of sophomores-to-be who could become solid but not stellar, with, according to Scout and Rivals, nobody yet committed to replace his three seniors for next year.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:00:03 AM by chapman »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »
Looks like Carnasecca Arena, their version of the Al, holds 6,008. If the box score number was the true attendance, then that might have been a perfect sellout for tonight.

As we know from playing in the BC though, empty seats look a LOT worse in a big arena.
I would have guessed around 5,000 from looking around.  Weird that a lot of people showed up midway to late first half.  MSG is a huge arena.  Saint John's is pretty horrible.  If I was a casual fan I wouldn't go watch them, and this is a guy who went to the Fairfield-Marist game Monday night and enjoyed myself quite a bit.  This was the most competetive Big East game they've played in the Garden this year.  We had nine of the best ten guys playing in that game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 09:32:34 AM »
While I'm thankful anytime I'm able to watch MU on ESPN, I was wondering why this game was being televised.  St. Johns wasn't good last year and they certainly aren't this year. With so many empty seats, the game seemed like a scrimmage.  At one point, I turned on ESPN to see the score of the NC-NC State game and the energy level of the two contests was startling.  The NC-NC State game even had announcers who were interested in the game they were broadcasting.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Eye

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 02:29:09 AM »
Two thoughts ...

Heard an interview with Roberts on Mike and the Mad Dog yesterday afternoon. Roberts seems to be a decent and honorable man, but seems to be in a tough spot. Father Harrington (deservedly so after the BS at the end of the Jarvis regime) wants a program that won't embarrass the university. Roberts doesn't want to directly affiliate himself with just one AAU program in the city, instead giving himself the chance to pick the best players from all the AAU programs in the city. I think it's time for a change there myself. As I said I think Roberts is a decent and honorable man, but may be in a touch over his head here.

What are the thoughts of those that were at the game last night? Do SJU fans want a change?
GO WARRIORS!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 07:07:31 AM »
What are the thoughts of those that were at the game last night? Do SJU fans want a change?

There were a few guys around me yelling "Bring back Mahoney!", but mostly they seemed bored.  I don't think he is going to last to coach the 2009-10 season.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 07:50:14 AM »
They have to make a coaching change, and they have to make a good hire. You play in New York city and in MSG for God's sake. Hire someone who can seize on that, along with what is a very strong history.

feedback