[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Shaka on Thanasis' podcast by MarquetteMike1977
[June 14, 2024, 10:07:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crossword Puzzles  (Read 1286 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Crossword Puzzles
« on: July 05, 2023, 09:31:10 AM »
Does anyone do the NYT crosswords daily?  I've been doing the WSJ's...there tends to be a lot of overlap. I'm just curious if the NYT is still the best option?  I prefer crosswords to other options.  Ty. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Crossword Puzzles
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 12:33:55 PM »
Does anyone do the NYT crosswords daily?  I've been doing the WSJ's...there tends to be a lot of overlap. I'm just curious if the NYT is still the best option?  I prefer crosswords to other options.  Ty.

NYT every day

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 12:52:55 PM »
In ink.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 02:01:28 PM »
NYT every day

Are the weekdays challenging at all?. I know the Sunday is tough.  The WSJ weekdays have sort of jumped the shark for me.   Especially with the overlap on clues.  They also do some weird and questionable phrases/definitions.  I think the NYT does as well but it depends on the creator of the puzzle. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 02:05:23 PM »
Never. But I may consider it if I reach my eighties.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 02:07:03 PM »
Are the weekdays challenging at all?. I know the Sunday is tough.  The WSJ weekdays have sort of jumped the shark for me.   Especially with the overlap on clues.  They also do some weird and questionable phrases/definitions.  I think the NYT does as well but it depends on the creator of the puzzle.

Once you get good at crossword puzzles they all become much easier.  There is a lot of reusing of clues.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 02:07:50 PM »
Never. But I may consider it if I reach my eighties.

Stereotype much?  Crosswords are for all ages and stimulate the brain. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 02:09:55 PM »
Once you get good at crossword puzzles they all become much easier.  There is a lot of reusing of clues.

No question about it.  I'm just getting annoyed at the ones they repeat constantly.  :)

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 04:29:57 PM »

M-W are probably 6-12 minute endeavors, I’ve started trying to go as quickly as I can.

Th can be tough as there are often tricky entries and rebus entries to figure out.

F can be tough, I find myself looking at the notes or using google a time or two.

Sa are the toughest.

Su are usually pretty straightforward just more clues, more like a Wednesday.

Puzzles increase in difficulty M-Sa, definitely repeat answers oftentimes w different clues. There have been a lot of play on words that are quite the stretch. I find them quite fun. I have the app, so I can go back years and years where the puzzles are different from the current batch so clues are often “new” to me.

I’ll also take a few seconds to a couple minutes to do the Wordle while I’m at it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 05:13:16 PM »
M-W are probably 6-12 minute endeavors, I’ve started trying to go as quickly as I can.

Th can be tough as there are often tricky entries and rebus entries to figure out.

F can be tough, I find myself looking at the notes or using google a time or two.

Sa are the toughest.

Su are usually pretty straightforward just more clues, more like a Wednesday.

Puzzles increase in difficulty M-Sa, definitely repeat answers oftentimes w different clues. There have been a lot of play on words that are quite the stretch. I find them quite fun. I have the app, so I can go back years and years where the puzzles are different from the current batch so clues are often “new” to me.

I’ll also take a few seconds to a couple minutes to do the Wordle while I’m at it.

Wow Jump!!  6-12 mins??  I'm more like 20-25 mins.  Yes, they increase in difficulty but I'm guessing the NYT is more challenging than the WSJ.  Ya...that's exactly right. The play on words are at times a bit ludicrous.  I prefer to do them in print, not online. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2023, 10:57:49 PM »
Wow Jump!!  6-12 mins??  I'm more like 20-25 mins.  Yes, they increase in difficulty but I'm guessing the NYT is more challenging than the WSJ.  Ya...that's exactly right. The play on words are at times a bit ludicrous.  I prefer to do them in print, not online.

This Monday was sub 6, Muggs! I’ll check out the WSJ puzzles, thanks for the tip. Man, I haven’t done a crossword in print for probably 10 years. At a restaurant I used to own, I’d subscribe to the NYT for the magazine and the puzzle. Never pen, tho, I’m definitely not worthy of that.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2023, 11:25:14 PM »
This Monday was sub 6, Muggs! I’ll check out the WSJ puzzles, thanks for the tip. Man, I haven’t done a crossword in print for probably 10 years. At a restaurant I used to own, I’d subscribe to the NYT for the magazine and the puzzle. Never pen, tho, I’m definitely not worthy of that.

I do them in pencil but don't cheat at all  M-F.  The weekend edition is difficult for sure.  I haven't been able to complete those solo or without looking a few things up.  Occasionally I go-to a chat group and bitch about the vague at best clues and questionable definitions and word play.  Today was a surprisingly decent puzzle because its theme was Independence Day throughout the world. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 08:27:17 AM »
I picked up the Thursday NYT crossword 21Jump.  I'm not sure I've seen anything like that before.  Really tough but very clever.  It took me at least 30 mins to figure out the surprise within the puzzle. 

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 05:24:49 PM »
The first crossword puzzle I ever did was probably when I was at MU back in the 70's.  One clue for a 4 letter response was BASEBALL TEAM.  I figured is was METS or CUBS but the answer was NINE.
That was the last crossward puzzle I ever did.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2023, 06:03:40 PM »
For those of you who haven't seen it, these are great.

https://www.immaculategrid.com/

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2023, 07:48:12 AM »
I picked up the Thursday NYT crossword 21Jump.  I'm not sure I've seen anything like that before.  Really tough but very clever.  It took me at least 30 mins to figure out the surprise within the puzzle.

Been away on vacay and am about a week behind! Looking forward to the surprise, Thursdays can be fun.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2023, 08:47:20 AM »
Been away on vacay and am about a week behind! Looking forward to the surprise, Thursdays can be fun.

If I had done one simple thing it wouldn't have taken me so long!  I'm sure you'll figure it out rather quickly. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2023, 08:05:40 PM »
If I had done one simple thing it wouldn't have taken me so long!  I'm sure you'll figure it out rather quickly.

It was a great crossword, and when it clicked, it definitely clicked! I solved the entire thing in about 25 minutes.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2023, 10:38:43 AM »
It was a great crossword, and when it clicked, it definitely clicked! I solved the entire thing in about 25 minutes.

Wow!  Nice.  It took me nearly an hour.  :(

Perhaps my "ego" got the best of me.  :)

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2023, 01:40:53 PM »
Wow!  Nice.  It took me nearly an hour.  :(

Perhaps my "ego" got the best of me.  :)

Hah, well played 😁

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2023, 07:10:35 PM »
Hah, well played 😁

Have you seen anything similar to that Jump?  It's Thursday when they do those kinds of things?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2023, 08:23:59 PM »
Have you seen anything similar to that Jump?  It's Thursday when they do those kinds of things?

I have, but the double rebus is not common. Rebus puzzles on Thursdays are common, and there normally is a theme and a clue that points you in the right direction.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2023, 09:09:26 PM »
I have, but the double rebus is not common. Rebus puzzles on Thursdays are common, and there normally is a theme and a clue that points you in the right direction.

They do the minus the letters thing in the WSJ occasionally.  I don't know what you call that but I've read a few complaints.  I doesn't really serve a purpose imo. 

feedback