[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU's next NBA prospect  (Read 5731 times)

tower912

• All American
MU's next NBA prospect
« on: May 16, 2023, 11:39:19 AM »
I watch the playoffs and try to picture how MU players would fit.  Offensive sets, defensive, rotations.   Who can they guard?  What would their role be in pick and roll offense?

So, Oso, if he develops 3 pt range.
Gold.   I can project his size and skill set onto an NBA team.

I am not as high on the guards.   Kolek, Stevie, and Kam lack top end quickness.   
Chase, perhaps, but when will he get to showcase?    Sean is too small.
Jop?   What does he do better than Sam? 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
Re: MU's next NBA prospect
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 11:42:05 AM »
Gold by a very margin, IMO. Aside from his skillsets, I think he has an edge to him that will suit him well moving forward.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 11:47:43 AM »
Kolek or Chase.  Obviously if Oso can develop a jumper it's him, but I don't trust that to happen.

I think the real answer will be "a class of 2025 recruit."  To win a national title you usually need a Burger Boy and surefire NBA level talent.  Obviously Shaka gets an A+ so far.  If we want to be a true national championship team, the talent level needs to jump.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 11:53:37 AM »
I agree that on the current roster, Oso and Gold look like the most likely players to have the requisite skillsets.

On the current roster, I would also include Chase and Tyler. Chase has that big breakout potential, and Kolek is just such a smart, savvy player. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but I could see him getting in on basketball IQ and having enough size, shooting, and passing to stick on a roster.

Very interested to see Norman. What he did in EYBL compares favorably to NBA lottery picks.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 12:06:08 PM »
I agree that on the current roster, Oso and Gold look like the most likely players to have the requisite skillsets.

On the current roster, I would also include Chase and Tyler. Chase has that big breakout potential, and Kolek is just such a smart, savvy player. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but I could see him getting in on basketball IQ and having enough size, shooting, and passing to stick on a roster.

Very interested to see Norman. What he did in EYBL compares favorably to NBA lottery picks.

Kam for me.

Such a unique scorer with solid size.

I struggle to find a comp for him because he scores better than everyone he's on the court with and scores in so many ways, but he doesn't play above the rim. Unique, unique talent with so much room for growth.

Defense has come a long way too.
VIOLENCE!

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 12:49:50 PM »
I'm not sure Oso will even attempt a 3-pointer next season. As for Gold, he has promise, but this year will be much more telling on his chance for the pros. I'm not swayed in either direction in terms of my belief in his future quite yet.

I think Kam and Oso have a shot. But a dark horse is Kolek. Not much chatter about him. He's the kind of guy that could work his way on to a roster with his work ethic alone. Keep shooting well, improving on his strengths as a ball handler and passer and there's a chance.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 12:56:48 PM »
Kam for me.

Such a unique scorer with solid size.

I struggle to find a comp for him because he scores better than everyone he's on the court with and scores in so many ways, but he doesn't play above the rim. Unique, unique talent with so much room for growth.

Defense has come a long way too.

I'd love to see him get there, but not sure he has the length, athleticism, or quickness to make it to the next level. I think he's a great 4-year college player. May he prove me wrong.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 01:02:08 PM »
That is where I am with all of our guards.    Watching the playoffs.    Watching G-league games in person.    Seeing how fine the margin is at the guard position.     I think a modern NBA prospect has to be minimum 6'4, be athletic like OMax is athletic among forwards, have range and a quick release.    I think all of our guards are really good 4 year (or more in TKo's case) college guards.  And I love them all.  Now, after a little seasoning in the G-league, could I see Kam, Tyler or Stevie on an NBA bench?    Yes.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 01:09:12 PM »
If Kolek can show he can knock down NBA 3-pointers at an upper-30% clip, he's my choice. He's a decent enough athlete, a brilliant passer, a team-first guy, he's tough, etc.

I mean, T.J. McConnell (6-1, 190) has played in the NBA for 8 years, averaging 22 mpg over 556 games, with 92 starts. His career 3-point percentage is .343.

Someone like Gold or Ross could end up being a higher ceiling guy, absolutely, but it's difficult for me to project that today.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 01:19:16 PM »
1. Oso

Switchable defender, solid handle and passing, fast rim runner in pick and roll & transition.  Needs to get stronger and really rebound. Potential small ball 5. Shooting would be a huge bonus and open up starting potential at PF.

2. Gold

Great combo of size and skill.  Underrated athlete.  Needs to make a major leap in all phases, especially rebounding.  If (emphasis on IF) everything goes right he could be a Kelly Olynyk type stretch 4/5.

3. Kolek

NBA level passer, decent size for a PG, underrated defender, solid shooter.  Maybe a backup PG type.

Probably all UDFA but legit prospects that could earn a two-way contract.  Kam doesn't quite have the physical profile and his skillset is more like a high level player in Europe.  Chase Ross is still pretty raw.  At 6-4, his skill level needs to be much higher to be an NBA prospect.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 01:22:58 PM »
1. Oso

Switchable defender, solid handle and passing, fast rim runner in pick and roll & transition.  Needs to get stronger and really rebound. Potential small ball 5. Shooting would be a huge bonus and open up starting potential at PF.

2. Gold

Great combo of size and skill.  Underrated athlete.  Needs to make a major leap in all phases, especially rebounding.  If (emphasis on IF) everything goes right he could be a Kelly Olynyk type stretch 4/5.

3. Kolek

NBA level passer, decent size for a PG, underrated defender, solid shooter.  Maybe a backup PG type.

Probably all UDFA but legit prospects that could earn a two-way contract.  Kam doesn't quite have the physical profile and his skillset is more like a high level player in Europe.  Chase Ross is still pretty raw.  At 6-4, his skill level needs to be much higher to be an NBA prospect.
O-Max is at #7 in 3 point shooting drill in Combine.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 01:28:12 PM »
O-Max is at #7 in 3 point shooting drill in Combine.

I suspect O-Max stays in the draft, so I didn't include him.  Only evaluating next year's roster.  He's definitely a better prospect than these guys.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 01:36:01 PM »
I want to see what happens with Chase next year. If he is a little more consistent from deep, I could easily see him making the league.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 01:56:49 PM »
I hate to be the naysayer, but, other than Ben Gold, I am not sure there is a future NBA player on the roster.  And, Ben has a lot of improving to do, but he does have a legitimate chance. Players in the NBA are largely physical outliers with unbelievable strength, quickness, etc in addition to the basic bb skills. Besides Ben, I simply do not see an MU player who could carve out a space for himself on an NBA team. The team is full of really good college players, but, they may all be destined to play in Europe - which is certainly not a failure.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 02:07:31 PM »
I hate to be the naysayer, but, other than Ben Gold, I am not sure there is a future NBA player on the roster.  And, Ben has a lot of improving to do, but he does have a legitimate chance. Players in the NBA are largely physical outliers with unbelievable strength, quickness, etc in addition to the basic bb skills. Besides Ben, I simply do not see an MU player who could carve out a space for himself on an NBA team. The team is full of really good college players, but, they may all be destined to play in Europe - which is certainly not a failure.

Curious: What was your opinion of Prosper’s NBA chances a year ago?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2023, 02:15:27 PM »
I'd put Chase and Gold as the two current players with the most NBA upside. They have the tools and builds to be successful in the association.

Oso is in the conversation but I think he needs to develop a three point shot in order to make it. Do that and he joins Chase and Gold.

Kolek is too savvy of a player not to get a shot somewhere. He's not quick enough to be a star in the NBA but I could see him having a Diener like career.

Norman sounds really exciting but will need to see him play in college before projecting him to the Assocation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2023, 02:18:22 PM »
I'd put Chase and Gold as the two current players with the most NBA upside. They have the tools and builds to be successful in the association.

Oso is in the conversation but I think he needs to develop a three point shot in order to make it. Do that and he joins Chase and Gold.

Kolek is too savvy of a player not to get a shot somewhere. He's not quick enough to be a star in the NBA but I could see him having a Diener like career.

Norman sounds really exciting but will need to see him play in college before projecting him to the Assocation.

I get the Chase hype, I do...but if you have him there, you gotta have Kam there too.
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2023, 02:24:42 PM »
I get the Chase hype, I do...but if you have him there, you gotta have Kam there too.

I really don't. Chase is a better defender and athlete than Kam. I think those are two key aspects of draftability
TAMU

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 02:27:52 PM »
I really don't. Chase is a better defender and athlete than Kam. I think those are two key aspects of draftability

Kam is longer and a significantly better scorer.

Each guy has strengths over the other for sure, but Kam is a pro scorer.
VIOLENCE!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 02:33:25 PM »
It's Oso, it is not close.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2023, 02:49:08 PM »
I’m bullish on Oso, Gold, and maybe Chase (in the longer term), but I think anyone but Kolek as the top prospect is overthinking it. I get the limitations around agility and athleticism, but his passing and vision are already NBA PG-level elite. If he can knock down 37%+ from 3 PT with consistency, he’ll be in the league for a long time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2023, 02:52:52 PM »

Kam is not longer. He is a significantly better scorer now. I can see Chase closing the gap on Kam's offense, I don't see Kam doing it for athleticism or defense. There's a reason that there aren't many below the rim non-point guards in the NBA.
TAMU

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2023, 02:57:55 PM »

Kam is not a pro scorer.  Kam doesn't have the athleticism, and a lot of the moves he makes in college would go nowhere in the NBA.  He may improve over time, but I don't see it yet.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 03:44:48 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2023, 03:30:03 PM »
After watching where Juan Anderson started as a college freshman and where he is now, and after watching Jamal Cain sitting on the Heat bench during the Bucks' series, albeit in street clothes, I would never say never about any of this stuff. Not ripping these guys------those are compliments. Just sayin'.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2023, 04:44:40 PM »

Kam is not a pro scorer.  Kam doesn't have the athleticism, and a lot of the moves he makes in college would go nowhere in the NBA.  He may improve over time, but I don't see it yet.

You can subtract just about all of the scoop layups from Kam against NBA defenses.