[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Buzz….intriguing or just more “quirky”  (Read 9137 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
Re: Buzz….intriguing or just more “quirky”
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 01:37:26 PM »
The fact Buzz say he has way more “football friends” than “basketball friends” speaks volumes. It’s like how you always have to beware the girl who exclusively hangs out with guys.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 02:12:17 PM »
The fact that he’s friends with PJ Fleck speaks volumes.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 03:01:36 PM »
The fact that he’s friends with PJ Fleck speaks volumes.

Amen.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 03:39:58 PM »
The best description of Buzz: tiresome.

Both he and the threads about him (and Joey, as well). They should form a top-secret quitters club.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 04:41:48 PM »
Once a downhome lonesome cowboy, always one. And a phony one at that
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 04:47:04 PM »
Once a downhome lonesome cowboy, always one. And a phony one at that
but that Elite 8 is a keeper, right?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 05:07:58 PM »
The fact Buzz say he has way more “football friends” than “basketball friends” speaks volumes. It’s like how you always have to beware the girl who exclusively hangs out with guys.

;D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2023, 09:12:29 PM »
My favorite part was Buzz saying at first he wasn’t sure if Fleck was authentic.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2023, 09:29:38 PM »
Nice article about our accomplished and interesting former coach.

Not surprising we have unaccomplished and uninteresting people taking shots at him. Scoop.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023, 11:13:27 PM »

Not surprising we have unaccomplished and uninteresting people taking shots at him. Scoop.

Buzz is an ass, incredibly phony, and left Marquette with absolutely nothing while trashing the conference on national television. Who cares more about his own press clippings than the program he’s at.

Sure he had some great moments at Marquette but his true colors showed when he wore that Virginia Tech pin for everyone to see.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2023, 11:15:43 PM »
More importantly, any updates on Buzz’s flushing habits?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 03:52:02 AM »

Good news is that, if he’s ever feeling down, he can always come to Scoop and find his lap dogs here too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2023, 05:24:57 AM »
Great of Buzz to participate in Barb’s retirement.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2023, 06:33:20 AM »
Sure he had some great moments at Marquette but his true colors showed when he wore that Virginia Tech pin for everyone to see.

Not only that, but he did it to a program that took a chance on him when he was an absolute zero. I’ll never understand how a coach can become that arrogant in the span of six years.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2023, 07:27:22 AM »
Good news is that, if he’s ever feeling down, he can always come to Scoop and find his lap dogs here too.

More good news! If he ever misses pedantic ass wipes, he can come  to Scoop and read your post history!!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2023, 07:27:45 AM »
Not only that, but he did it to a program that took a chance on him when he was an absolute zero. I’ll never understand how a coach can become that arrogant in the span of six years.
it’s called winning. People on here trashing him now were kissing his ass then. Is this lost on you?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2023, 07:47:00 AM »
More good news! If he ever misses pedantic ass wipes, he can come  to Scoop and read your post history!!

Who's a good boy Lenny!?!  Who's a good boy!?!  Is it you???

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2023, 08:14:58 AM »

Buzz always liked to talk about how character was something that was revealed, so what you saw when he left was probably always there, but time coupled with success just made it more evident.

Buzz is a good coach and good recruiter, but he has a tendency to skirt the lines. That's what got Monarch fired and Buzz suspended. And considering the landscape at the time with the Penn State sanctions, Marquette was moving in the direction of cutting ties with Buzz years before he ultimately left. See this Paint Touches article from 2012. It even referenced Gary Parrish, who was somewhat an unofficial Buzz Williams mouthpiece at the time, to talk about Marquette's actions being the kind of things that would inspire a coach like Buzz to look for other jobs.

Despite the on-court success, Marquette's administration didn't like how the program was being run and took actions to change that. Buzz didn't like those changes so he left for a lesser job. I would think that at this point, we can all agree that the Buzz era was a ton of fun despite the off-court chaos, both the headlines and the shifting conference landscape, but we are now in a better place and can move forward while just relegating the Buzz era to memories.

Wait...that's silly...this is Scoop. We'll never agree.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2023, 08:21:46 AM »

Wasn't Buzz's motto Character Revealed?

Crean and Wojo have been nothing but complimentary of Marquette since they left.   Buzz couldn't wait to take shots the second he was out the door.  As was mentioned Buzz was the only one who didn't record a video for Barb's retirement. 

Character Revealed.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2023, 08:22:35 AM »
Damn brew beat me to it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2023, 08:55:57 AM »
I think the Buzz era was good for both parties. Buzz went from an assistant with a rough head coaching year to a coach in high demand. MU made it to the second weekend 3 years in a row and produced a number of NBA guys.

I also think the relationship had run its course and best for both to move on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2023, 08:56:57 AM »
Buzz always liked to talk about how character was something that was revealed, so what you saw when he left was probably always there, but time coupled with success just made it more evident.

Buzz is a good coach and good recruiter, but he has a tendency to skirt the lines. That's what got Monarch fired and Buzz suspended. And considering the landscape at the time with the Penn State sanctions, Marquette was moving in the direction of cutting ties with Buzz years before he ultimately left. See this Paint Touches article from 2012. It even referenced Gary Parrish, who was somewhat an unofficial Buzz Williams mouthpiece at the time, to talk about Marquette's actions being the kind of things that would inspire a coach like Buzz to look for other jobs.

Despite the on-court success, Marquette's administration didn't like how the program was being run and took actions to change that. Buzz didn't like those changes so he left for a lesser job. I would think that at this point, we can all agree that the Buzz era was a ton of fun despite the off-court chaos, both the headlines and the shifting conference landscape, but we are now in a better place and can move forward while just relegating the Buzz era to memories.

Wait...that's silly...this is Scoop. We'll never agree.

Great post, brew.

I appreciated what Crean did to revive the program, loved the 2003 team, and enjoyed several other seasons under his watch. I liked the swagger that Buzz brought, enjoyed watching the juco players and several HS players he recruited, and took pride in the repeated NCAA tournament success under his watch.

I hated the way each left -- each basically insulted Marquette on his way out the door -- but I had no problem at all rooting for their teams when they were coaching for our alma mater.

Glad we have Shaka now. I don't think it'll end for him at Marquette the way it did for Crean and Williams. But crap happens, so who knows?

Anyhoo, it's sure fun that we get to relitigate all this for years and years and years.

And years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2023, 09:07:43 AM »
I’m glad Buzz is gone.  He had lots of on court success, but he was and is an arrogant jag.  And the teams off court issues should not be tolerated at MU … and they weren’t.

And … yes… as for past coaches…
Crean and Wojo have been very complimentary of MU.  And KO and Deane showed up at the 100th and both said good things ( and stole the show )

Buzz has no character and is one of the most “ fake “ people I’ve ever met.