[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Top 5 moments in last 10 years  (Read 1951 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
Top 5 moments in last 10 years
« on: April 01, 2023, 06:17:12 PM »
Had a discussion with a buddy about the top 5 moments in the past 10 years of Marquette hoops. Need to be specific moments. I would say

1. Clinching big east title this year
2. Beating #1 nova
3.  Ending 10 year NCAAT drought
4. Lewis tip in against Fu**y
5. Sam hauser creighton/Howard Buffalo game/firing wojo

Let’s hear your thoughts

Judge Smails

• All American
Re: Top 5 moments in last 10 years
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 06:24:50 PM »
2013 Elite 8 was cool, if that falls within the 10 year window. Although scoring just 39 points against Syracuse was not cool.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 06:46:12 PM »
2013 Elite 8 was cool, if that falls within the 10 year window. Although scoring just 39 points against Syracuse was not cool.
was talking post 2013 but agreed.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 07:47:14 PM »
Nice list. Just one change-I would trade the W over Nova with the W over UCONN in the BET. Loved the Nova W and admittedly a recency bias, but beating Nova was not part of "we're baaaack!".
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 07:49:39 PM »
1. Clinching Big East title.
2. Beating UConn in BET.
3. Winning BET.
4. Beating #1 Nova
5. Markus Howard 50 burgers (or 40 point half)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 07:53:38 PM »
For me, the day Shaka was hired. Pick and play the other highlights based off of personal preference or memories. MU showed they were taking basketball seriously when they hired Shaka and that was a game changer.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 07:56:12 PM »
I put more value in this year’s BET run than I would in most BET runs because we had won the conference by 2 games yet nobody was giving MU a chance to win the BET. It was our statement that this wasn’t some mistake.

The way we beat UCONN, with Oso and Kolek combining for 47 minutes (when they averaged 63 on the season) was one of the most memorable MU games of my lifetime.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 08:02:52 PM »
For me, the day Shaka was hired. Pick and play the other highlights based off of personal preference or memories. MU showed they were taking basketball seriously when they hired Shaka and that was a game changer.

I was going to go with this also Goose. It's within the OP's parameters but I think he meant team accomplishments. Anyway, you are absolutely right. Shaka's hire was huge and should definitely be in the top 5.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

ScrambledEgg

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2023, 08:09:54 PM »
Jerome Whitehead!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2023, 08:35:56 PM »
1 Shaka hiring
2. Beating UConn in the BEast semis
3. Beating  Xavier in the BEast finals
4. Beating Creighton at their place to virtually clinch the BEast regular season title.
5. Rolling Baylor by 26 at the Fiserv.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2023, 08:41:50 PM »
Zero.  Billy Packer was right
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2023, 08:48:05 PM »
I’m not sure it’s Top 5, but the Illinois win last year was a big one. Really felt like that showed we had something last year.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2023, 08:54:31 PM »
1-5, the financially fortunate folks that bought out the Wojo contract.
Ludum habemus.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 09:57:16 PM »

This is a derivative of the Shaka hire, but April 14-15 when Kolek and Omax both announced their transfers to MU rank pretty high up there in retrospect.  Just ~3 weeks on the job and some perfect fits.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2023, 07:37:29 AM »
Cheebs

I think the win over Illinois was a very important moment in the Shaka era. It was a game that showed what we could expect moving forward. The Baylor game was another win that will stick out to me. It showed the overall improvement of the program and the culture being built.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2023, 07:39:57 AM »
I scanned through the results of the last 10 seasons and came up with these. I’m going to expand the concept of a “moment” on a couple:

1. Winning the regular season BE title. This includes the string of five “moments” that pulled MU to the top of the tight race: the last second win over Xavier, the OT win at Creighton that put MU in the driver’s seat, then the last 3 wins that clinched the tie, the outright title, and allowed the team to cut down the nets and celebrate on the home court.

2. The BET win over UConn that put MU in its first final followed quickly by the final win over Xavier.

3. The win over #1 Villanova. A great moment that set the stage for MU’s first NCAA bid under Wojo.

4. The one point win over defending NCAA champ Villanova in 2019. An electric home court win that put MU into position to win the BE title, which they subsequently took control of, and then frittered away.

5. The OT win over Wisconsin in December 2018. The most memorable single moment was Ed Morrow swatting away what looked like a sure go ahead layup by Ethan Happ to help send the game to OT.

Honorable Mention: Markus Howard’s 40 point second half against Buffalo and Rowsey draining 3 straight extra long 3 point shots to take down Creighton on Senior Day in 2018. That one also kept alive hopes that MU could get an NCAA bid with a strong BET performance that didn’t materialize.

Also, the win over Baylor and winning the first NCAA game this season.

I did not include the 2021 win over Wisconsin because the lack of fans in the stands took a lot of the thrill out of it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2023, 09:12:01 AM »
Starting post-Elite 8, this is my list:

1) Firing Wojo: I really didn't think it would happen. It had to be done to improve the program, but even as I wrote my part of "The Case Against..." I was sure he would be back for another year. With him dismissed, I truly felt like Marquette was going to move forward positively. Shaka was the guy I wanted, and that was the icing on the cake, but I was more overjoyed with the first step of seeing him dismissed. I did love how he represented the University off the court, but we needed someone to put a winner on the court, and Marquette proved it believed that as well when they dismissed him. (Edited to #1)

2) Winning the outright Big East Championship: Nothing's better than hanging banners, and no banner is more deserved than the one earned by playing a true round robin and winning by multiple games. As mentioned, the Xavier win, Creighton win, and even St. John's win down the stretch were a blast to watch. My daughter being able to watch the confetti fall and nets get cut down was a great experience.

3) Winning the Big East Tournament: Again, banners trump all, and we won the best conference tournament in the country. Having these two at the top only reinforces why this was such a special year.

4) Beating Vermont: Get the damn "no wins since 2013" monkey off our back. It might've been more relief than exuberance, but I can only imagine how painful the other side of that result would've been.

5) Win over #1 Villanova: The height of the Wojo era, it was truly a special night. "We Are Marquette" ringing off the walls downtown afterwards, court storming, that was awesome.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 09:13:43 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2023, 09:40:34 AM »
1. Big East tournament championship (combining UConn and Xavier game probably cheating oh well).
2. Locking up the BE regular season title. This gets the number 2 spot because winning a tournament format is more prestigious and something we had not done before.
3. Beating Vermont to officially exorcise some demons. More work to do going forward.
4. Beating Illinois at home Shaka year 1 to welcome in a new era.
5. Creighton road win under immense pressure to put us in drivers’s seat for the Big East.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2023, 10:12:49 AM »
1. Shaka hired

2. Xavier win in BET championship (the images/videos of the trophy presentation and the raw emotion of post game interviews are etched in my mind)

3. UCONN in BET semis. This was a pretty classic game on the big stage against a championship caliber opponent. Most importantly, it felt like we belonged which is why I have this game ranked so high.

4. #1 Nova win under Wojo with crowd storming at buzzer. Fun game to be at. Locked us in the tournament for the first time in a while. Young team with a lot of promise. Felt the program was about to get rolling. Didn’t happen but that was still a pretty fun year.

5. Vermont win. A first round NCAA win by 17 against a 15 seed shouldn’t be there but that’s how little success we had in March in the last 10 years. Important that we no longer have that ridiculous weight on our shoulders heading into next year.

—-

The topic was top “moments” so I didn’t include anything related to the BE regular season championship run but there were obviously a number of moments that added up to that goal. If this whole season could be a “moment” it would be #1 for me.

(Note: 2012-2013 Elite 8 season not included)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 10:17:19 AM by CountryRoads »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2023, 11:04:26 AM »
1. WOJO GETTING FIRED!
2. WOJO GETTING FIRED!
3. WOJO GETTING FIRED!
4. WOJO GETTING FIRED!
5. WOJO GETTING FIRED!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2023, 11:30:31 AM »
It'd be easy to just go through this year, since there were so many. I'll try to mix it up.

1) Winning the Big East double. So many incredible performances and moments.
2) The Illinois game last year. It's when I knew we were back to our roots. They couldn't make a free throw. Got slaughtered on the boards. But got 10 stops to close the game and won anyway. That would have never happened before.
3) Vander winning a share of our first BE title at the Garden. Easy to lose sight of how significant that was in hindsight.
4) December 2018... Three weekend games. Three ranked teams. Three wins at a packed and rowdy Fiserv. Great momentum heading into league play
5) The Nova comeback. It was a special thing to be a part of and came out of nowhere. They had us at arm's length until Wojo went zone and it got us back in the game.