[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shaka needs a gray haired assistant....  (Read 2861 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Shaka needs a gray haired assistant....
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2023, 07:57:15 AM »
tower

I agree completely. I want Shaka to have the most forward thinking, young and high energy assistants he can find. Game is changing every year and want to stay ahead of the curve. Zero concerns about Shaka leading the coaching staff.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
Re: Shaka needs a gray haired assistant....
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 05:02:09 PM »
tower

I agree completely. I want Shaka to have the most forward thinking, young and high energy assistants he can find. Game is changing every year and want to stay ahead of the curve. Zero concerns about Shaka leading the coaching staff.
Shaka has been a head coach for over a decade.    He does not need a gray haired assistant.   When the time inevitably comes that one of his assistants leaves, he needs innovative thinkers like Nevada Smith.     Not a Tom Crean-esque coach emeritus.
This year's offense was so innovative because it is NEW thinking.

At the end of the K-State/Kentucky game, K-state did a variation of an inbounds play that I haven't seen before.    Lots of teams have multiple guys standing out of bounds to start an inbounds play at the end of games.     K-State actually ran, well, a bubble screen to get the ball to their PG.   Wonderfully creative.   That did not come from a coach emeritus.    Give me the coach who came up with that.   Better yet, find me the coach who looks at that, says 'damn', and figures out how to (A) defend it and steal the ball, and (B) how to turn it into an entire press break where the PG catches the ball in motion coming to the middle of the floor and then takes off with it with his wings filled.   

Get the most energetic, creative assistant coaches you can find.

Both you dudes are spot on. I

Also, I thought Shaka did a great job calming the team down late in the game. Sometimes you just lose games. Crap happens.

Marquette had two major things working against them in this game. Marquette came out nervous and did not punch back until Oso's dunk.

Secondly and most impactful was Tyler's injury. He was a different player from the one we saw all season. Not only did Tyler's injury and lack of confidence (because of injury) affect his own play, it affected the confidence of his teammates and at times that created some frustration among the team. That was painfully visible. But I thought our team fought valiantly.

Even though this loss was frustrating, it will have value for next year's team. I imagine Shaka will utilize this loss to strengthen the teams psychological prowess and mental toughness.

Wait till next year! :)

DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

feedback