[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022-2023 Season Grades  (Read 577 times)

1SE

• All American
2022-2023 Season Grades
« on: March 20, 2023, 04:17:01 AM »
It's still a little raw, but might as well get all the post-mortem out of the way. I found these really tough in balancing the incredible ride for 3 months that was punctuated by the premature and sudden stop at the end. The grades are on the body of work, but the final exam is heavily weighted. Anyway... here we go

Starters

Oso Ighodaro: A-

"One of the best passing bigs in the country" - could've been a drinking game. Massive jump from last year and handled the physical BEAST as an undersized 5 as well as one could've been expected. But played his better ball at the start of the season and could look tentative. Didn't quite have the final gear to take games over when it really mattered.

Kam Jones: A

Even though he came in 4th in SOGs, without his offense this team barely makes the NCAA. We wondered at the start of the season where the points would come from, Kam provided the answer. Sky high confidence and a quality defender. Kept us from sweating in the Vermont game and was at least competent vs. MSU. Our MLP (most likely to get NIL poached).

TKO: A-*

A- you say? For BEPOY, 3rd team All-American and the team engine? Here I think the final exam has to matter. MSU was the most important game of the season, was by far his worse. I've starred it because we don't know the full extent of his injury, but even if the right hand was worse than we thought it was still a sh*tshow. Bad decisions and head-scratching turn-overs that stemmed for a regression to a "hero-ball" style that we saw some flashes of at times during the season. Tyler's O stems from his distribution, and he seemed to forget that last night. We love his swagger, but I'm hopeful that game gave him a little bit of humble pie to put on his shoulder for next year.

Stevie: A-

Glue guy extreme - I think the most passion of anyone on the team. I don't know if I saw bad body language from him once this season. Only knock is a slight tendency to try and create when he's the clear 5th offensive option. Usually he saved that for when nothing else was going on, but could press a bit at times. Love having him on the roster.

OMax: B+

Probably the most frustrating of our starters for his inconsistency. At times it seems like we've got a future lottery pick on our hands, other times he almost looks lost. Of course a net benefit, with some greatly improved D and an important part of our twin mid-size towers. Maybe a little trigger happy with the 3 although it is important for stretching the D. Like Oso, never really found that gear to take over games when needed.

Bench Rotation

Ben Gold: B+

Kid has great potential. In the end, he probably deserved a few more minutes than he got, especially in the second half last night. With him on the floor it really changes the look of our team and is (would have been useful) to try and shake things us when stagnant. In addition to the sweet stroke, we also saw him put it on the floor a few times with authority. But also a freshman. And skinny as a pole. But those things will change. I hope he enjoyed his MU experience enough to stick around another year - he could be a really great piece.

Sean Jones: B+

Another guy who knew his role and did what was asked of him. "A rich man's Derrick Wilson". If he works on the handle/distribution a bit over the summer, we have a solid backup PG. But that's probably his ceiling - will he be happy for that or look for greener fields?

Jop Wagon: A-

No small feat to win BE6MOY. COULD (and did) take over games. Really pleased with how he could also play big. But also hot and cold and prone to freshmanitis. D also much improved over the course of the season. If everyone is back, I wonder if we play a bit bigger next year starting Jop at the 3? Tough call.

Chase: B

I still think Chase has the highest ceiling of anyone on the team - there were a few moments this year where it was "Damn, this kid is association good." But that was it, just a few moments. Really hope he is able to build on that and have a breakthrough sophomore campaign - would be great for MU to go B2B with BE6MOY.

The Rest: A-

Not going to do these individually, but I think we had one of the best practices squads around. Clearly enthusiastic guys who did what Shaka asked and were undoubtedly part of the team shattering expectations in BE play. You play like you practice, and if you don't have a solid practice team to play against that will be reflected in your game play. Special shout out to Wrightsill who could have just shut it down and left the team but stayed there and put in the work and time with the guys.

Shaka: B+

The hardest for last. Shattered expectations. Made the sum more than its parts. BECOY. Built a team, and is building a program the right way. Incredible ambassador for MU. Hopefully our guy for 30 years. But....

Can't avoid the elephant in the room. Last night was the final exam and Shaka failed. The stretch. 17:25 to 7:47. 3 points. 12-3 MSU "run" in a 60 point game. Yes we missed some open looks but ultimately the totality of it falls on the boss. No time out. No Gold. No great creativity to get something going on the offensive end. I think that stretch single-handedly moves him from an "A" to a "B+" on the season. Especially coming after a start where we came out looking like we had no idea what we are doing. The moment might have been a bit big for the guys, but that's where Shaka needs to prep them - it shouldn't have been too big for him.

I'm 100% Yahka, but let's remember he was encouraged to leave Texas because of his NCAA record. At the end of the day, wins in the tournament are the most important metric of coaching success. Shaka will get us there most every year, and he has a VERY long leash for NCAA success, but ultimately his tenure at MU will be defined by the presence or absence of deep runs in March and April. This season was a golden opportunity for one of those and it slipped through our fingers. Until we get over that hump he still has something to prove.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:25:05 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
Re: 2022-2023 Season Grades
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 04:23:22 AM »
Fans B+:

Got there by the end of the year - but the FF should have been rocking all year long. Next year better bring sell outs every night.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: 2022-2023 Season Grades
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:35:39 AM »
Tyler Kolek A+
Sensational the last half of the season, then hurt his thumb.  He'll be back with a vengeance.

Stevie Mitchell B
Great glue guy.  Defensive standout but just ok on offense.

Kam Jones A
Deadly scorer and much improved as a defender.

O-Max A-
Disappeared a bit in early Feb, but was playing very well down the stretch.

Oso A
Extremely versatile on both ends.  Even more impactful than his basic stats would indicate.

Joplin B
Streaky scorer, inconsistent defender.  Still much improved over last year.  If Jop improves that much again, watch out.

Ross B-
Defended well, a terror in transition, and occasionally knocked down 3s.  Some freshman moments, but really excited to track his development.

Sean Jones C
Not bad for an 8th man on a top 10 team. But it felt like a dropoff from the top 7.  Still only a frosh and I think he can develop good college player.

Ben Gold C
Improved a lot throughout the season to bring his grade up to a C.  A ton of upside.  Could be a star player in 2 years.

Keeyan Inc.
He came in as a big project and remains a big project.  Can he improve as much as Amal McKaskill did?

Emarion Ellis Inc.
Injury

Zach Wrightsil Inc.
Injury

feedback