[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NIL - We’re All Wondering  (Read 9723 times)

Boston Warrior

• Starter
Re: NIL - We’re All Wondering
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2023, 02:25:52 AM »
The seventh grade coaches that are scoopers that know ball have no idea on the transfer portal. Shaka knows who is leaving, it is not wait and see. He is well prepared and have a plan, we will lose a couple of guys and the freshman have better talent than the year before. The next class coming in is going to have more talent. Shaka wont buy portal players but we will keep most of the talent that we have and with nil money.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2023, 03:28:44 AM »
Here's a theory on Ben. 
a) The Tall Blacks (yes, that's what the NZ National team is called) play in the world cup this summer/autumn and Ben is not on the team.  Not much for him in that case in NZ.
b) The NBL season is basically the same as the school year (starts in August) and he'd make $25-50k there.  (minimum 17k as an U25) He could play in some of the summer pro leagues in Australia, but the competition level is very low and the money is enough to buy dinner and a few beers.
c) he's NIL restricted due to stupid NCAA rules
d) He's good enough that with right exposure he can go back to NBL in the $250k + range or go G league for $50k or sit on the end of the bench on an NBA team for a 2 way deal worth $80k-$450k.

Where is he going to get better exposure than the BEAST champion and soon to be NCAA tournament perennial Marquette Warriors (Golden Eagles)?

In other words... he can go for max $50k now... or have a good year on a good team and go for min $250k.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2023, 05:42:09 AM »
EVERYONE SOMEONE IS NOT COMING BACK.
Per the NCAA, they can’t.
Why can’t you understand that?

...is the more accurate exclamation.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2023, 06:57:30 AM »
...is the more accurate exclamation.
I was quoting the OP, so not going to alter his quote.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2023, 07:21:14 AM »
No doubt that some MU players will be contacted by other schools and encouraged to transfer - Kam Jones, David Joplin, Chase Ross, and Ben Gold are the most likely candidates to be contacted. None of us know if any of them can be enticed or not. Hopefully not, but, if one or more of them leave for greener pastures, so be it. That is simply the way of college sports now.

Sean Jones might be a transfer candidate since he seemed to struggle most of the year and could decide to drop down to a mid-major.

Whatever happens, Shaka will field a good team next year, and we will start the ride all over again.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2023, 08:03:11 AM »
No doubt that some MU players will be contacted by other schools and encouraged to transfer - Kam Jones, David Joplin, Chase Ross, and Ben Gold are the most likely candidates to be contacted. None of us know if any of them can be enticed or not. Hopefully not, but, if one or more of them leave for greener pastures, so be it. That is simply the way of college sports now.

Sean Jones might be a transfer candidate since he seemed to struggle most of the year and could decide to drop down to a mid-major.

Whatever happens, Shaka will field a good team next year, and we will start the ride all over again.

As a foreigner, Gold is limited in NIL options at the moment
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2023, 08:22:35 AM »
Boston Warrior

I agree with you. Shaka has a very good idea of who will be back next year and I trust he will upgrade talent if there are openings. Imo, there may be a couple of opportunities to bring in portal guys, but not one year portal guys. Also, I agree on the incoming class being an upgrade in talent.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2023, 09:59:57 AM »
Speaking of NIL, were those AT&T commercials with Kentucky and there was one with another team, NIL money?

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2023, 12:29:31 PM »

Huge violation but something that is definitely happening...we can only pretend its not. The only way I see Kam leaving is if Penny and NIL from Memphis get involved...I feel like the kid loves MU but the appeal of going home and playing for a hall of famer thats from his hometown is probably appealing. Jop I think as a local guy that followed Shaka from Texas to MU isnt going anywhere.

Most likely scenario here is O Max who cant get NIL and is a strong 3 & D Prospect declares and either embraces G league option where he gets $$$ or goes overseas.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2023, 12:49:16 PM »
Quote from: MU Fan in Connecticut link=topic=64655.msg1538640#msg1538640 date=
Speaking of NIL, were those AT&T commercials with Kentucky and there was one with another team, NIL money?

More on the AT&T/Kentucky commercial:
https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/jacob-toppin-on-att-commercial-you-get-whatever-you-want-here/

And this on the UnderArmor commercial featuring Alayah Boston:
https://garnetandcocky.com/2023/03/15/south-carolina-basketball-gamecocks-under-armour-commercial/

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2023, 12:50:14 PM »
I don't see how Omax's situation is any different than a couple years ago when guys didn't get NIL money. You didn't really ever see guys leave early with the plan to go overseas or to the G-league just to get a check.  I don't see why so many are assuming Omax is desperate to get paid next year.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2023, 01:04:43 PM »
Quote from: Clam Crowder link=topic=64655.msg1538762#msg1538762 date=
Huge violation but something that is definitely happening...we can only pretend its not. The only way I see Kam leaving is if Penny and NIL from Memphis get involved...I feel like the kid loves MU but the appeal of going home and playing for a hall of famer thats from his hometown is probably appealing. Jop I think as a local guy that followed Shaka from Texas to MU isnt going anywhere.

Most likely scenario here is O Max who cant get NIL and is a strong 3 & D Prospect declares and either embraces G league option where he gets $$$ or goes overseas.

I cautioned the board not to believe the supposed illegality of NIL being either contingent on attending a particular school or as a recruiting inducement.  As I predicted, smart lawyers have found plenty of ways to set up programs that skirt these laws.  Even MU has it's own NIL collective.  While payments from Be the Difference NIL are technically not contingent on an athlete attending Marquette (because that's illegal), I doubt any of those funds find their way to Wisconsin, UWM, or UWGB athletes.

As far as foreign players--lots of misinformation here.  They are not prohibited from earning NIL--they just are limited in the way their deals are structured. Generally, the athletes have to travel outside the US to perform the work, which then can be used passively in the US:
https://frontofficesports.com/international-athletes-find-nil-loophole-at-battle-4-atlantis/

An example could be OMP recording an RV vacation through Canada, then licensing the footage to Camping World in the US.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2023, 01:23:26 PM »
The Kam to Memphis conspiracy is HOT on the scoop right now. It's quite the reach. I don't see Kam taking a step down in level of competition. And he and his family seem very comfortable with Marquette.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 01:46:53 PM by TwoWords »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2023, 01:37:43 PM »
Regarding the "Be the Difference NIL"... I don't want to donate.  I would, however, pay $50 for a 2023 Big East Champions T-shirt.
Why is that not happening?

My old Final 4 T-shirt finally fell apart and was put to rest.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2023, 01:46:51 PM »
Regarding the "Be the Difference NIL"... I don't want to donate.  I would, however, pay $50 for a 2023 Big East Champions T-shirt.
Why is that not happening?

My old Final 4 T-shirt finally fell apart and was put to rest.

Ok...I'll buy one and sell it to you for $50?
https://spiritshop.marquette.edu/2023-Big-East-Champions-Tee-p/33126.htm
https://spiritshop.marquette.edu/2023-Big-East-Tournament-Champion-Tee-p/33135.htm

nyg

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2023, 01:51:55 PM »
nm

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 02:01:10 PM by nyg »

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2023, 02:01:26 PM »
"The Kam to Memphis conspiracy is hot" ?  Really?, it was mentioned twice in this thread as what ifs. At least you stated it was a reach.

Unless I hear any potential rumors from notable sports people outside this board, nothing is "hot" or has anything in the realm of a conspiracy. Will know more in the following week as players meet with coaching staff, other teams coaching changes and players want to get in the portal.  This will be a busy transaction week in all college basketball and always has been.

I was poking fun at the "rumor," which I've seen several times across different threads. It makes no sense - the only connection is that Kam is from Memphis.

That said, maybe Arizona St. will back up the NIL money truck for Oso. He's from AZ......  :o :o :o

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2023, 02:02:40 PM »
I was poking fun at the "rumor," which I've seen several times across different threads. It makes no sense - the only connection is that Kam is from Memphis.

That said, I could see Arizona St. backing up the NIL money truck for Oso  :o :o :o

Arizona State might not have a coach in a few days and Memphis is losing its best players to graduation.
VIOLENCE!

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2023, 02:04:16 PM »
Arizona State might not have a coach in a few days and Memphis is losing its best players to graduation.

CONFIRMED: New Arizona State coach highly likely to clean house to make way for Oso.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2023, 02:12:03 PM »

That said, maybe Arizona St. will back up the NIL money truck for Oso. He's from AZ......  :o :o :o

Use teal next time.  You wrote as if it was a fact.

Sidenote, there are many players who actually like their surroundings and don't want to play at home.  Busy week....

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2023, 04:14:49 PM »
Here's a theory on Ben. 
a) The Tall Blacks (yes, that's what the NZ National team is called) play in the world cup this summer/autumn and Ben is not on the team.  Not much for him in that case in NZ.
b) The NBL season is basically the same as the school year (starts in August) and he'd make $25-50k there.  (minimum 17k as an U25) He could play in some of the summer pro leagues in Australia, but the competition level is very low and the money is enough to buy dinner and a few beers.
c) he's NIL restricted due to stupid NCAA rules
d) He's good enough that with right exposure he can go back to NBL in the $250k + range or go G league for $50k or sit on the end of the bench on an NBA team for a 2 way deal worth $80k-$450k.

Where is he going to get better exposure than the BEAST champion and soon to be NCAA tournament perennial Marquette Warriors (Golden Eagles)?

In other words... he can go for max $50k now... or have a good year on a good team and go for min $250k.

No, he’s restricted under the terms of his F-1 visa. International students can only earn income in the US through an on campus job or passive income (royalties, product for trade). Sorry to rain on your rambling.

The number of kids making significant income from NIL nationally is far less than you all think. A vast majority of NIL deals are for product only.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2023, 10:09:39 PM »
Thanks for your correction.  Stupid rules from the only organization on the planet less competent than the NCAA - the US government.  (and just to make this non- political, I include the current government and the government for at least the last 34 years.)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2023, 12:17:30 PM »
I don’t think NIL will be as impactful as most people think. Most players aren’t going to dramatically alter a team on their own unless they are a lottery pick. That money far outweighs NIL money so I don’t see big time players moving from one team to another. That then leaves the next level down which are 2nd round to undrafted. Those folks might be the main targets for NIL but they would need to be offered significantly more than what they are currently getting.  They have to be starter caliber because bench players on the new team aren’t going to get a payday. I think we will see a handful of players offered big money other than that I think players will decide they want to leave and get relatively what they got.

Pack, who set the bar, decided to transfer and then worked the system for a good deal. I think this will normalize when coaches realize they don’t want to rerecuit through pay days their own players.

Oh boy, you're about to learn a lot this off season.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2023, 12:26:12 PM »
This is the gold rush era for college athletes. They are going to be throwing money around like there is no tomorrow.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2023, 12:39:48 PM »
No, he’s restricted under the terms of his F-1 visa. International students can only earn income in the US through an on campus job or passive income (royalties, product for trade). Sorry to rain on your rambling.

The number of kids making significant income from NIL nationally is far less than you all think. A vast majority of NIL deals are for product only.

Royalties. So you’re saying that Gold can write a bogus book, a booster can buy 15,000 copies for employees and friends, and Gold pockets the money? Just like some politicians do with obscure books that the public never sees. May as well make it an ebook to save some costs and trees.

Bottom line. MU donors will have to step up going forward to some extent to keep players, iOS my assumption.

feedback