[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 07, 2024, 08:14:24 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[June 07, 2024, 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Markus Howard Jersey Be Retired

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Markus Howard Jersey Retirement  (Read 20618 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: Poll: Markus Howard Jersey Retirement
« Reply #275 on: September 23, 2023, 03:51:12 PM »
So about the same level of team success that Howard had?

Note: in the 2005 season ncaa tournament, 2020 marquette would not have made the field (to stop the covid argument)

Small edit: is the "in conference USA" supposed to be a dig at playing in a worse conference? Because that conference is really just as good as this version of the big east.

You have to be trolling right? TD is one of my all time favorites - but Markus was a once in a generation talent. He's 5-10, got the full brunt of the opponents D night in night out, and still hung 40 pt games they grew on tree.

His lack of te success lies 100% at the feet of a coach who couldn't put together/keep together a roster around him. That's why we paid a gazillion dollars to fire said coach.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #276 on: September 23, 2023, 04:24:47 PM »
So about the same level of team success that Howard had?

Note: in the 2005 season ncaa tournament, 2020 marquette would not have made the field (to stop the covid argument)

Small edit: is the "in conference USA" supposed to be a dig at playing in a worse conference? Because that conference is really just as good as this version of the big east.

And I thought dgles post was insane.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #277 on: September 23, 2023, 04:40:58 PM »
Agree with you on Markus.

Butch left the league due to injury.  You contend it was ability for Butch too. That’s just speculation on your part.  Butch’s injuries are facts.

In a very literal way, your original statement may not be wrong, but again, it was really his knees, not ability.

Not sure why that is so difficult……

Lol. Regardless he didn’t hang.

As tower said, take the L.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #278 on: September 23, 2023, 04:42:42 PM »
Lol. Regardless he didn’t hang.

As tower said, take the L.

Classic Sultan.

That’s not a compliment.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #279 on: September 23, 2023, 04:46:04 PM »
Peace to all.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 04:48:20 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #280 on: September 23, 2023, 07:37:54 PM »
He plays the same way overseas.

1. So?

2. Who is the Wade equivalent on his overseas team?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #281 on: September 23, 2023, 07:43:40 PM »
Classic Sultan.

That’s not a compliment.

Lol. Resorting to Ziggy-level posting. Better tap out now. Or keep going. It’s entertaining.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #282 on: September 23, 2023, 08:08:42 PM »
Lol. Resorting to Ziggy-level posting. Better tap out now. Or keep going. It’s entertaining.

Thanks for the rent free space today.

BGfund

• Walk-On
« Reply #283 on: September 23, 2023, 08:31:16 PM »
Hey guys - Diener here. Love Markus to death. Hell of a player and impossible to compare legacies. But no one is beating me one on one. And I mean nobody

• All American
« Reply #284 on: September 23, 2023, 08:33:32 PM »
Thanks for the rent free space today.

Thanks for the white flag.  Though you could have ended it with minimal damage long ago.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #285 on: September 23, 2023, 08:35:21 PM »
Hey guys - Diener here. Love Markus to death. Hell of a player and impossible to compare legacies. But no one is beating me one on one. And I mean nobody

lol. Love it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #286 on: September 23, 2023, 08:35:59 PM »

This guy didn't say which diener he was. Could be the DePaul player
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #287 on: September 23, 2023, 08:43:17 PM »
Thanks for the white flag.  Though you could have ended it with minimal damage long ago.

👆👆👆👆👆

Classic

You don’t disappoint.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #288 on: September 23, 2023, 10:26:13 PM »
Classic Sultan.

That’s not a compliment.

Using a technical truth to “prove” something false. A page from the Chico playbook that  he’s made his own. The transformation is complete. #Sad

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2023, 09:20:59 AM »

Hi Keefe.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #290 on: September 24, 2023, 10:58:15 AM »
Markus's legacy at MU is tainted by having had to play under the most dense head coach in MU history since Bob Dukeit.

By virtue of being MU's leading all-time scorer, and being a high character kid/good student, Markus absolutely is worthy of having his jersey retired by MU.

That aside, if I could choose whom I'd want to be my PG out of Travis, Markus, and TKO - I'm voting TKO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #291 on: September 24, 2023, 01:03:50 PM »
Markus's legacy at MU is tainted by having had to play under the most dense head coach in MU history since Bob Dukeit.

By virtue of being MU's leading all-time scorer, and being a high character kid/good student, Markus absolutely is worthy of having his jersey retired by MU.

That aside, if I could choose whom I'd want to be my PG out of Travis, Markus, and TKO - I'm voting TKO.

Very reasonable take.

The OP wasn't about who was the best PG among Markus and others. It was: Does Marquette's all-time leading scorer, two-time All-American, and 2019 BEPOY - who also led a poorly coached team to 3 NCAAT bids in 4 years - deserve to be honored?

The answer to that question can (and should) be a resounding "Yes." The other discussion is an entirely separate thing.

I'd have no problem with Diener being similarly honored, though his body of work is nowhere near as good as Howard's. And I hope it will be a no-brainer to honor Kolek after this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #292 on: September 24, 2023, 03:29:05 PM »
For a PG...for guys I've been alive to watch.  I'm going TD, TKO, Tony Miller, Tony Smith, Aaron Hutchin all over Markus at PG.  I understand that's probably a crazy statement, and I love Steph Curry (and that style of play), but Markus was just too one dimensional for me.  I had no faith that he was capable of making anyone on the team better...no faith he could make good decisions in clutch times of the game...no faith he wasn't about himself.  When he was on it was amazing...when he wasn't it felt like it was equally problematic.  Couldn't positively impact the game if he wasn't scoring. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #293 on: September 24, 2023, 03:40:40 PM »
For a PG...for guys I've been alive to watch.  I'm going TD, TKO, Tony Miller, Tony Smith, Aaron Hutchin all over Markus at PG.  I understand that's probably a crazy statement, and I love Steph Curry (and that style of play), but Markus was just too one dimensional for me.  I had no faith that he was capable of making anyone on the team better...no faith he could make good decisions in clutch times of the game...no faith he wasn't about himself.  When he was on it was amazing...when he wasn't it felt like it was equally problematic.  Couldn't positively impact the game if he wasn't scoring.

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #294 on: September 24, 2023, 04:04:01 PM »

Insane asylum has open computing today, hey?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #295 on: September 24, 2023, 04:21:14 PM »
Surprised you put him in front of Derrick or Haanif.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2023, 05:18:44 PM »
Insane asylum has open computing today, hey?
I get I'm way outside the majority here...and I'm probably pushing a style of basketball or belief of team that I didn't have knowledge to...but you thought he positively effected the game when he wasn't having a good offensive night?  Maybe it was coaching...but I didn't see it...even as a decoy.

You ever have discussions about him with former players? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #297 on: September 24, 2023, 05:30:48 PM »

This is wild
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #298 on: September 24, 2023, 05:40:32 PM »
I get I'm way outside the majority here...and I'm probably pushing a style of basketball or belief of team that I didn't have knowledge to...but you thought he positively effected the game when he wasn't having a good offensive night?  Maybe it was coaching...but I didn't see it...even as a decoy.

You ever have discussions about him with former players?

Look at our season avg off eff numbers with Markus. Then shhhh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #299 on: September 24, 2023, 05:43:15 PM »

FIFY

Nothing after acknowledging the original statement was worth typing out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback