[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Notes on a season-defining win over X  (Read 5797 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Notes on a season-defining win over X
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2023, 08:16:04 AM »
jesmu

I am only going by memory, but it seems like we have seen more low scoring BE games across the board over the past few weeks. Again, I did not do any research, just going from memory.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2023, 08:19:33 AM »
jesmu

I am only going by memory, but it seems like we have seen more low scoring BE games across the board over the past few weeks. Again, I did not do any research, just going from memory.

Butler has played some low scoring games the last few weeks that were of interest to us.  Creighton-UConn was in the 50’s.  Think we had our eyes on those
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2023, 08:21:40 AM »
Sorry for taking a Cole attitude but in the last two games against top competition MU was never in the game with UCONN and squeaked out a W at home against Xavier with last second heroics by O-Max.  Just saying, if MU makes an early exit in the tournament, it is not like the signs weren't there.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 08:25:35 AM by NCMUFan »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2023, 08:28:51 AM »
Sorry for taking a Cole attitude but in the last two games against top competition MU was never in the game with UCONN and squeaked out a W at home against Xavier with last second heroics by O-Max.  Just saying, if MU makes an early exit in the tournament, it is not like the signs weren't there.

So sorry they only squeaked out a win with heroics against a top team.  I guess they need to win every game by twenty to drain the COLE swamp of fans.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2023, 08:30:49 AM »
Glad they won.  But it sure wasn't the stomping that many on this board was predicting.  Those my friends are the delusional ones.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2023, 08:34:13 AM »

Agreed.  We are not playing our best at the moment. 

Kam seems a little off ever since hurting his hip.  His drives are not what they were earlier in the year.  OMax has been struggling as well.  Long season, tired legs maybe.

That UConn loss might be a one off and I hope it is but our offensive struggles for long stretches recently has to be concerning.  The difference this year compared to past years is that this team finds a way to compete and make winning plays but in a 1 and done with additional pressure, you don't want to hang your hat solely on that.   Hopefully we can right the ship and make some offensive adjustments.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2023, 08:39:26 AM »
If MU scrapes out a few more wins, finishes with a 23-24 win regular season, but does not get out of the first weekend, will that equal failure to you?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2023, 08:40:47 AM »
The Creighton game will be interesting.  Would love to see Marquette competitive and would be awesome if they won.  May be a good indicator of what we will see in the tourney.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2023, 08:42:45 AM »
If MU scrapes out a few more wins, finishes with a 23-24 win regular season, but does not get out of the first weekend, will that equal failure to you?
No season is a failure for me.  I was a ProJo, supported Crean and Buzz.  Will support Shaka and hope for the best for the team.  It is just a game that kids are playing for our entertainment.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2023, 08:48:39 AM »

So sorry they only squeaked out a win with heroics against a top team.  I guess they need to win every game by twenty to drain the COLE swamp of fans.

So Shaka passes the winning close games test. I can remember those 3 close games that Buzz won which could have gone the other way as well. The only stats we beat X on were rebounding, turnovers and of course the big one, points. I can only imagine the X board complaining that X lost that game  MU did not win it especially if you look at the stats, which is one of my nit picks for SOTG. It is pretty much always the high scorer rather than the guy who got the most deflection, turnovers or got the most rebounds. We won that game on defense which always plays second fiddle to offense and our offense really sucked in that game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2023, 08:52:10 AM »
We agree.   As far as success vs failure, I expected this team to be slightly better than last year.   Based on continuity, development, an 8-1 stretch and flashes of really good play from the returnees.  Kolek against Illinois,  OMax and Stevie against UNC, etc. 
   This team is better than I expected.   It is possible some team has a day and upsets them in the tourney.   I will be disappointed yet hopeful for next year.   As you say, just kids playing a game.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2023, 08:52:42 AM »
No season is a failure for me.  I was a ProJo, supported Crean and Buzz.  Will support Shaka and hope for the best for the team.  It is just a game that kids are playing for our entertainment.

I like this guy
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2023, 09:01:25 AM »

Pathetic

Edit -

Nevermind, that explains it
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 09:03:10 AM by Tha Hound »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2023, 09:11:09 AM »
No, they're taking away MU's inside game and making us a 3 pt shooting team. Until we start hitting 3's like before it will work. But MU is due to go back to mean so rejoice!

We’re late in the Conference season. We are playing teams for the 2nd time. More tape= more scouting = lower efficiency. Games become slogs. I would like to see a Conference study on scoring early in the schedule vs. late.

We will be better in the Dance.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2023, 09:11:48 AM »
21-6.  Not much concerns me about this team.   Conference play is supposed to be a meat grinder.   While you are correct that the offense hasn't been as efficient lately, MU has found ways to win.  That is good.

it is entirely possible and even likely that Creighton holds serve on Tuesday.  That will not cause me worry, either.   Beating a ranked team in their gym is a big ask.   Don't get hurt, take in the process.

Finally, this.  Three first year players, three second year players, three third year players.    This is a very young team.  As good as they have been, there are still lessons to be learned and growth to strive for.    There will be flat spots.  Not many so far, to be sure.   Enjoy the ride.

Big picture, you're correct of course.

Even for me, my preseason hope/expectation was just getting an at-large for the tourney.

Now, however, I'm looking at the details. The logic of your prior post - that the offense is suffering because of the round robin nature of a competitive league with good coaches - would be strained if all teams didn't see a dip as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2023, 09:18:57 AM »
Instead of watching the ball, watch the defense.  What are they taking away?  That is how I watch about half of a game anyway.  Defensive rotations and weak side help.   
MU had the most efficient offense in the country for a while.   Defenses are focused on disrupting it.   They have had some success, but MU keeps winning.

And BTW, MU's defense continues to improve.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2023, 09:24:47 AM »
Marquette got a lot of really good shots on Wednesday and just missed 'em. That tells me that even with the adjustments teams are making, they're finding ways to get what they want. Might not always be a primary option, but if Kam/Jop/Tyler are wide open from three it's not a bad consolation prize.

Biggest thing I need to see from Oso is when bigs play off and give him a runway, he needs to drive it right at their throats. Enough weak ass floaters or backing into a post move. That's giving the defense a win. He was timid against Nunge and can't afford to be that way against Kalkbrenner next week.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2023, 09:27:21 AM »
Instead of watching the ball, watch the defense.  What are they taking away?  That is how I watch about half of a game anyway.  Defensive rotations and weak side help.   
MU had the most efficient offense in the country for a while.   Defenses are focused on disrupting it.   They have had some success, but MU keeps winning.

And BTW, MU's defense continues to improve.

Thanks for the back and forth, tower.

But you don't seem to be answering my question or underlying point.

Let's go win the conference, regardless!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2023, 09:38:23 AM »
Regarding the offense, there have been some concerns against the top teams but I wouldn't worry much about the offense against Butler or Georgetown. Neither of those games were in doubt and Shaka played some weird lineups a lot of minutes in both games. I think he used those games to test some things out and get some guys some extra rest.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2023, 09:43:37 AM »
From the Atlantic quoting coaches about various Big East teams.  This sums up MU's read the second time through conference.

Marquette

“They make a lot of shots, but they can also miss 10 in a row. In a one-game scenario, that could give them problems, especially without a true center. Oso Ighodaro plays the five, but he’s really a four. You want to get him in foul trouble, because then they become really small. They’re a good defensive team, not a great one. They want to take you out of everything you run more than stop you. They live off runs. You have to jam Tyler Kolek. Get the ball out of his hands. Make him beat you from outside. Kam Jones is not super athletic, but he’s a very clever scorer with a green light. You have to be physical with Olivier-Maxence Prosper. He’s not a great shooter, but he’ll hit some daggers.”

https://theathletic.com/4187415/2023/02/13/college-basketball-big-east-pac-12-sec/?source=user_shared_article

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2023, 09:45:36 AM »
Pathetic

Edit -
Nevermind, that explains it
Take away Justin, Oso, Cam and Stevie and I don't think you are looking at winning seasons for Shaka.
But whatever gets you through your pathetic day.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2023, 09:52:07 AM »
From the Atlantic quoting coaches about various Big East teams.  This sums up MU's read the second time through conference.

https://theathletic.com/4187415/2023/02/13/college-basketball-big-east-pac-12-sec/?source=user_shared_article

Thanks for that.    It really isn't different than what is said on scoop.    It is interesting to hear it from an outsider.   

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2023, 09:55:39 AM »
Take away Justin, Oso, Cam and Stevie and I don't think you are looking at winning seasons for Shaka.
But whatever gets you through your pathetic day.

You're right.  Shaka is only winning because of the stocked cupboard he inherited from Wojo.  Facepalm.  Wojo wasn't the lead recruiter on Oso, Kam, or Stevie (and I don't think Justin either.). Shaka had to re-recruit those guys to MU, they were free to transfer anywhere they wanted when Wojo left.  The best thing that could have happened to MU and Oso, Kam, and Stevie was Wojo getting fired and Shaka getting hired.

Sidenote:  Wojo's best asset was hiring recruiting aces as assistant coaches, and organizing lunch ball amongst them.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2023, 09:59:05 AM »
One thing in sales 101 you must not have learned it that it is much easier to keep a customer versus finding a new one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 10:02:54 AM by NCMUFan »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2023, 10:04:16 AM »
One thing in sales you must not have learned it that it is much easier to keep a customer versus finding a new one.

It could come out that Wojo flat out texted every player saying "Shakas a good guy, you committed to MU the place not me as the coach, give him a shot!" and people would still $hit on him rather than give him an ounce of credit. Not worth your time to argue.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback