Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: First Place….and BIG EAST CHAMPIONS  (Read 7452 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: First Place
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2023, 12:18:33 PM »
There are folks out here still upset that Shaka got the job over Moser?

Looked back through to see what I said about the candidates initially and here was my list:

1. Beilein
2. Shaka
3. Moser

I did hedge and say Moser may be the better fit long term after they made the S16. Was surprised to see that post of mine because I don’t ever remembering feeling that way. I always thought he’d be in over his head at the P6 level. I said Shaka would have us competing for an NCAA berth in year one.

In hindsight, Beilein was a short term option, but I was getting very desperate for any type of quick success as Wojo had completely bottomed out at that point and it felt like the ceiling just kept getting lower and lower each year. At Beilein’s age, I just thought there would be more emphasis on winning right away.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2023, 12:23:25 PM »
I was

1. Gates
2. TJO
Moser

Much happier we got Shaka.

Related to Marquette being and staying in first place: putting my "Wednesday night against a ranked team" record on the line and coming up for the Xavier game now. Lots of tix available. If you don't have tix, get you some and make the place loud on Wednesday.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2023, 12:29:40 PM »
I didn't trust MU's administration.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2023, 12:51:50 PM »
Looked back through to see what I said about the candidates initially and here was my list:

1. Beilein
2. Shaka
3. Moser

I did hedge and say Moser may be the better fit long term after they made the S16. Was surprised to see that post of mine because I don’t ever remembering feeling that way. I always thought he’d be in over his head at the P6 level. I said Shaka would have us competing for an NCAA berth in year one.

In hindsight, Beilein was a short term option, but I was getting very desperate for any type of quick success as Wojo had completely bottomed out at that point and it felt like the ceiling just kept getting lower and lower each year. At Beilein’s age, I just thought there would be more emphasis on winning right away.

I looked back too. The only post I saw where I formally ranked them I had Moser at 1a and Gates at 1b. My recollection is that I was back and forth between them. I honestly didn't think Shaka was a real possibility initially and didn't have him in the mix (although, admittedly, I had a couple posts that were critical of Shaka). As soon as MU hired Shaka, I was enthusiastically on board.

I'm happy Shaka is our coach. I really hope that his years in Texas will help him realize that the grass isn't always greener in the P5 and he'll stick around. Marquette's commitment to MBB is right up there with anyone, and I really believe that there is nothing that anyone else can provide Shaka that MU can't provide. I hope he's here for the long haul.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2023, 01:47:36 PM »
I looked back too. The only post I saw where I formally ranked them I had Moser at 1a and Gates at 1b. My recollection is that I was back and forth between them. I honestly didn't think Shaka was a real possibility initially and didn't have him in the mix (although, admittedly, I had a couple posts that were critical of Shaka). As soon as MU hired Shaka, I was enthusiastically on board.

I'm happy Shaka is our coach. I really hope that his years in Texas will help him realize that the grass isn't always greener in the P5 and he'll stick around. Marquette's commitment to MBB is right up there with anyone, and I really believe that there is nothing that anyone else can provide Shaka that MU can't provide. I hope he's here for the long haul.

Shaka is a great coach, knows who he wants to recruit and how he wants to play.  All great.  He’s been to a medium size university, a huge university, and now Marquette,   And, I think that he has had this much success his second year - regardless of how he ret goes - is really a good thing for his mindset.  He can do it at Marquette.   So hoping he stays a long time too!  Go Marquette!

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2023, 01:56:41 PM »
My list was:

1). Dwyane Wade
2). Shaka

3). Moser
4). (Yikes)

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2023, 01:58:28 PM »
Morter Poser?   What was his record in a low major conference other than catching lightning in a bottle twice?
Definitely happy with Shaka, but catching lighting in a bottle twice is a pretty good feat.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2023, 02:00:06 PM »
Definitely happy with Shaka, but catching lighting in a bottle twice is a pretty good feat.

Some people suggested Brian Wardle 😂😂
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2023, 02:09:21 PM »
In defense of those people, I think they were hoping he would have better success with more resources and not move on to a higher  job if he was successful.
I think we achieved hiring a coach, that’s not looking to move on if he’s successful with Shaka.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2023, 02:50:40 PM »
I thought Wardle because I thought the administration would end up with him by default.   I was wrong about the administration.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

connie

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2023, 02:53:13 PM »
Mmmmm.  I am soaking in the delicious au jus of first place in February!
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2023, 02:54:21 PM »

DuaneWade wanted his childhood buddy, Porter House Moser.  6000 word opus.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2023, 03:01:14 PM »
Mmmmm.  I am soaking in the delicious au jus of first place in February!
In before the fade

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2023, 04:31:30 PM »
My list before Shaka made himself known was:

1. Craig Smith
2. Dennis Gates
3. Beilein

After Shaka made himself known Beilein was bumped off and Gates was slotted down to #3. Glad MU didn't go with Smith, though he seems to be building something at Utah.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2023, 05:43:31 PM »
There are folks out here still upset that Shaka got the job over Moser?

bilsu was strongly pro-Moser and anti-Shaka. Two years later, Shaka is about to go to his second NCAA tournament while Moser misses again, and Moser took over a much healthier program than Smart did. Marquette, Arizona (Tommy Lloyd), and Iowa State (TJO) are the clear winners of the 2021 coaching carousel.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2023, 06:00:33 PM »
Goose nailed it when he said that Shaka will be the best hire Marquette ever made.

He just seems to be the perfect guy for this era.  He plays a style of ball that would seem to be appealing to recruits and he is so genuine personality-wise.

He’s the perfect age to have a long run at MU.  He had the best resume of any coach they’ve ever hired.  He’s already had his P5 experience so I think he knows a place like Marquette is a much better place to be. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2023, 12:45:54 AM »
Brew

I am getting very old because I do not remember an anti Shaka talk during the hiring process or after the hire. Granted, my excitement level was pretty high and probably assumed everyone was equally excited.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2023, 07:39:49 AM »
Brew

I am getting very old because I do not remember an anti Shaka talk during the hiring process or after the hire. Granted, my excitement level was pretty high and probably assumed everyone was equally excited.

Maybe not anti-Shaka talk, but there was a lot of feelings about why we would fire Wojo just to hire a guy who hasn’t won a tourney game in the same amount of time.

I think there were some legitimate concerns about his time at Texas. I think it’s obvious he is the right guy for the job.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2023, 07:50:53 AM »
Maybe not anti-Shaka talk, but there was a lot of feelings about why we would fire Wojo just to hire a guy who hasn’t won a tourney game in the same amount of time.

I think there were some legitimate concerns about his time at Texas. I think it’s obvious he is the right guy for the job.

That's exactly where I was. I had an immediate reaction after that ridiculous NCAA tournament loss to Abilene Christian -- why would we hire a guy whose record at Texas (including zero NCAAT wins) almost mirrored Wojo's record at Marquette, not to mention a guy who already had turned us down once?

But the second MU actually hired Shaka, I was all in on him. One, because it quickly became apparent that it was a great fit, and two because it's exhausting being a pessimist.

I like to think that if we make a run in March it will bring the remaining Shaka doubters on board, but it's probably naive to think that way. Some Scoopers hate admitting they were wrong, even when they are proven wrong repeatedly, and some are only happy when they have something to be unhappy about.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2023, 08:01:26 AM »
That's exactly where I was. I had an immediate reaction after that ridiculous NCAA tournament loss to Abilene Christian -- why would we hire a guy whose record at Texas (including zero NCAAT wins) almost mirrored Wojo's record at Marquette, not to mention a guy who already had turned us down once?

But the second MU actually hired Shaka, I was all in on him. One, because it quickly became apparent that it was a great fit, and two because it's exhausting being a pessimist.

I like to think that if we make a run in March it will bring the remaining Shaka doubters on board, but it's probably naive to think that way. Some Scoopers hate admitting they were wrong, even when they are proven wrong repeatedly, and some are only happy when they have something to be unhappy about.

I believe some ball knowers wanted Porter Moser over Shaka
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2023, 08:07:51 AM »
I believe some ball knowers wanted Porter Moser over Shaka

Quite a few did. Like you, I favored Gates. I was never in the Moser camp because he had too many years in which his teams were really, really, really bad ... but if Moser had been hired, I'd have supported him, just as I've supported all our coaches.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2023, 08:20:37 AM »
I favored Gates over Moser until Shaka became an option. Then I signed up to be hurt again like 2014 and couldn't have been happier when we got our guy. But I understand why in the moment others may have favored different candidates.

What I don't understand is anyone two years later still thinking Moser, who walked into a better situation and isn't winning, is still the right pick over Smart, who's on the verge of a second NCAA bid, could win the Big East & BECOY, and is at worst a top-5 national COY candidate.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2023, 08:26:18 AM »
I favored Gates over Moser until Shaka became an option. Then I signed up to be hurt again like 2014 and couldn't have been happier when we got our guy. But I understand why in the moment others may have favored different candidates.

What I don't understand is anyone two years later still thinking Moser, who walked into a better situation and isn't winning, is still the right pick over Smart, who's on the verge of a second NCAA bid, could win the Big East & BECOY, and is at worst a top-5 national COY candidate.

Remember that one of these posters is Nolongerwarriors, who is either simply a troll and/or is hung up on the BLM thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2023, 08:32:27 AM »

Remember that one of these posters is Nolongerwarriors, who is either simply a troll and/or is hung up on the BLM thing.

It's actual Marquette fans, like bilsu, that baffle me in this regard.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2023, 08:37:09 AM »
Why are we debating/discussing this issue again?

Coach Shaka is our head coach. Our team has been in the NCAA tournament (assuming we're in this year) ever since he became our coach.

We're on an upward trajectory and competing for the Big East title in a year where we were projected to be in ninth place.

Here's the reality: We have a great coach who has shown a capability to do things our prior coach could not. Is he the greatest Marquette hire ever? When he surpasses Al McGuire, I'll agree to that! Until then, enjoy the ride and forget about anyone else!