Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dud of the game  (Read 6187 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Dud of the game
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2023, 10:05:52 AM »
Discuss whatever you like. But if others think it's asinine behavior, don't be offended when you get called out for it.

Oh, I’m not offended in the slightest. This thread was pretty mild and you’re the one who was seemingly offended by it.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2023, 10:06:29 AM »
Our fanbase is a bunch of entitled drips.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2023, 11:21:36 AM »

Oh that's good! Very good. Now this thread is going to be fun. Time to identify the entitled drips.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2023, 11:25:34 AM »

That's what many of the national writers think.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2023, 11:50:30 AM »

so is every fan base

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2023, 12:01:31 PM »
Jake

Many in our fanbase don't know ball. Good news is the program is on the rise, the bad news is that uneducated fans are watching closer. I wish we had "basketball town" mindset with our fanbase and hopefully we will down the road. It is interesting to me that most of the Al guys on here are the most positive on the Shaka program and were the most negative on the Wojo era. My guess is we saw what very good to great basketball looked like in person for over a decade.

I cannot think of one old guy on here that was a Wojo fan, nor one on here that is not wildly optimistic about the Shaka program. My advise to the guys who dislike the MS and other old timers on here, maybe they should listen more about basketball and block out the other noise.

Note--I am not saying that to be a grumpy old man (which I am not) or piss anyone off. I just thought it was interesting that one faction of scoop thinks in a similar way on the game and MU. I would take that as a positive if i was a mope or in the COLE camp.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 12:04:33 PM by Goose »

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2023, 12:09:38 PM »

1. This is probably a good thing.
2. They'll learn, i doubt shaka will always have top 5ish MU teams in school history. Currently still the highest KenPom finish.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2023, 12:13:25 PM »
ShotQuaility score from last night.

UConn 78- MU 75.

UConn was expected 12 less points on 3 point attempts.
MU was expected 7 less points at the rim.
Mu was expected 6 more points on 3 point attempts.
UConn was expected 5 less points on midrange attempts.
UConn was expected 3 more points on Free throw attempts.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2023, 12:13:29 PM »
Fun, high-character thread.

Character revealed?

SonOfWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2023, 12:46:14 PM »
It’s a long season. UConn wanted it more, we’ll see how Marquette responds.  Let’s expand the time line before we jump to conclusions (Tom Symkowski has a mat for you).

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2023, 12:53:21 PM »
I love the 'we're 19-6, so let's shuffle the starting line up' posts.
After that beat down, that should happen. Start Gold and see what happens.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2023, 12:55:00 PM »
I’d pull Proper’s scholarship
Would that be like you pulling your own chain?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2023, 12:55:34 PM »
Jake

Many in our fanbase don't know ball. Good news is the program is on the rise, the bad news is that uneducated fans are watching closer. I wish we had "basketball town" mindset with our fanbase and hopefully we will down the road. It is interesting to me that most of the Al guys on here are the most positive on the Shaka program and were the most negative on the Wojo era. My guess is we saw what very good to great basketball looked like in person for over a decade.

I cannot think of one old guy on here that was a Wojo fan, nor one on here that is not wildly optimistic about the Shaka program. My advise to the guys who dislike the MS and other old timers on here, maybe they should listen more about basketball and block out the other noise.

Note--I am not saying that to be a grumpy old man (which I am not) or piss anyone off. I just thought it was interesting that one faction of scoop thinks in a similar way on the game and MU. I would take that as a positive if i was a mope or in the COLE camp.

Goose,

I understand what you are getting at by the comparison but that is a very paternalistic way of thinking. 

Whether you were old enough to witness with any sort of memory the Al years in person doesn’t automatically put you in a class above “basketball knowing” others who didn’t.

Younger guys, like myself but not by much, and even younger have witnessed great college basketball constantly over the years, just not at Marquette as often as we would have liked.  From the grade school level on, “team”basketball is more pleasing to the eye and is the known recipe for winning a championship, Al or no Al. 

I love your optimism on Shaka and it was right out of the gate.  Some others have taken more time to get on board. But I don’t think anyone on here who watches basketball a ton doesn’t know first hand what winning teams look like. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2023, 01:03:42 PM »
After that beat down, that should happen. Start Gold and see what happens.

Agree 100%, Walter

It’s time to quit coddling these players.  If Al was still coach (I have my ‘77 Warriors pennant up in my living room above my Gettleman neon), I guarantee they’d be running laps today until they puked and he’d start the walk-ons at the next home game.  Proper needs to be yelled at and I’d probably make Cam Jones shoot 1,000 layups.  As for Jaloplin, I’d call his parents and tell them to pick him up
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2023, 01:06:50 PM »
I also was banned for a year because you all take this too seriously.

Banned for a full year? What did you do? Link please.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2023, 01:10:54 PM »
Shooter

I agree with your post and I likely did not word my thoughts correctly. I do not think everyone that saw the Al era knows ball, my Dad was prime example of that. I was talking about the 10+ of us dumb to be on scoop every day. It seems to me that all of us agree 95% on basketball and I think the common theme is we all saw a program ranked in the top for a decade play.

My reference to watching the Al era is the one thing us old guys all of in common. I think it is uncanny that virtually all of us were anti Wojo, Pro Shaka and not guys worrying about the infamous Feb Fade.

In my post the uneducated fans I noted are likely not scoop folks. Rather, the people I see at the grocery store that have been saying "how much fun this team is to watch" and now will be saying "every year they get me excited and disappoint late in the season". IMO, those are casual, uneducated fans.

Lastly, my post was in reference to the "entitled" fans post. I do not think there is one Al era fan on scoop that falls into that camp. We saw it, lived it and hope to see a similar version again at MU.

To your last point, no doubt many know what great basketball looks like, sadly many MU fans have felt MU was not capable of having a great basketball program.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 01:24:05 PM by Goose »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2023, 01:21:41 PM »
Agree 100%, Walter

It’s time to quit coddling these players.  If Al was still coach (I have my ‘77 Warriors pennant up in my living room above my Gettleman neon), I guarantee they’d be running laps today until they puked and he’d start the walk-ons at the next home game.  Proper needs to be yelled at and I’d probably make Cam Jones shoot 1,000 layups.  As for Jaloplin, I’d call his parents and tell them to pick him up

LOL, I know this is part of your schtick, but I'm actually wearing my Gettleman T-shirt as I type this.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2023, 01:45:38 PM »
Jake

Lol.  Oh god.  Come on.  "We saw what real basketball looked like because we watched Al's teams back in the day!  You don't know what good ball is, so keep your opinion to yourself and let us who know ball tell you what it really is!"

The good thing is it isn't 40 years ago.  The game has evolved.  So have things like the ability to watch other basketball.  We've been able to watch Coach K's Duke teams or Roy Williams's UNC teams or Jay Wright's Villanova teams.  Crazy, but we have actually seen some pretty good basketball teams more recently than the 1970s.

Get over yourself.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2023, 01:57:12 PM »
bias

There have been a lot of very good basketball teams and programs over the past 40+ years. Unfortunately, know of them have worn a MU uniform for an extended period of time. Like I said in my follow up post, many have not believed that MU could be a program like Villanova, while some on scoop always believed MU could be like Villanova.

The game has evolved and there are very smart ball folks on scoop and I always appreciate their insight. I have learned some good stuff from the under 45 or so crowd and always read those posters comments. You should try and read their stuff, learning new things is a joy in life.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2023, 04:41:08 PM »
Jake

This is the most Boomer take of all time.  We know more, we’re always right, if you don’t agree with us then you don’t know what you’re talking about.   😂😂😂😂

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2023, 07:15:31 AM »
Lol.  Oh god.  Come on.  "We saw what real basketball looked like because we watched Al's teams back in the day!  You don't know what good ball is, so keep your opinion to yourself and let us who know ball tell you what it really is!"

The good thing is it isn't 40 years ago.  The game has evolved.  So have things like the ability to watch other basketball.  We've been able to watch Coach K's Duke teams or Roy Williams's UNC teams or Jay Wright's Villanova teams.  Crazy, but we have actually seen some pretty good basketball teams more recently than the 1970s.

Get over yourself.

he's talking about MU basketball sparky
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2023, 07:28:19 AM »
This is the most Boomer take of all time.  We know more, we’re always right, if you don’t agree with us then you don’t know what you’re talking about.   😂😂😂😂

i see your vermin are leaking oil badly so ya come here to try to dumb down our warriors to feel better

don't...don't don't don't don't

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2023, 08:19:13 AM »
Agree 100%, Walter

Gotta say I literally laughed out loud. Funniest post of the year.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2023, 08:22:45 AM »
Agree 100%, Walter

Jaloplin, so good. You’re like fine wine

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2023, 08:38:59 AM »
  i see your vermin are leaking oil badly so ya come here to try to dumb down our warriors to feel better

Look, another Boomer