[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette's Q1 Gauntlet  (Read 4814 times)

Daniel

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette's Q1 Gauntlet
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2023, 12:42:39 PM »
We can beat UConn and UConn knows it and so do we.   I think if we hit a flurry of 3s vs them we can win!   Goo Marquette!

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2023, 12:46:17 PM »
57 …

You’re correct.  Let’s get real … there’s
no way MU is going 4 - 0 in next 4 games.  3 and 1 would be great / almost outstanding

And … like others … As the calendar has turned to February, I’m a bit concerned.
They won their last 2 , but did not play particularly well.   And the team seems a bit gassed

Hopefully Shaka will get them ready

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2023, 12:52:51 PM »
My fav thing about the post Butler game presser with Shaka is how they said (4-6) all offseason about last years fade……
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 12:54:43 PM by CAGASS24 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2023, 12:56:42 PM »
We can beat UConn and UConn knows it and so do we.   I think if we hit a flurry of 3s vs them we can win!   Goo Marquette!

Always easier to win when shots go down, but Marquette didn't need a flurry of 3s to beat UConn last time. We made only 6 all game (on 16 attempts) and still scored 82. We just need to play our game.

As the calendar has turned to February, I’m a bit concerned.
They won their last 2 , but did not play particularly well.   And the team seems a bit gassed

I really didn't see signs of our players being "gassed" the last 2 games. I'll try to watch for that specifically tomorrow night, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2023, 12:57:31 PM »
57 …

You’re correct.  Let’s get real … there’s
no way MU is going 4 - 0 in next 4 games.  3 and 1 would be great / almost outstanding

And … like others … As the calendar has turned to February, I’m a bit concerned.

Hopefully Shaka will get them ready

Why the negativity?  Are we the only team on the face of the earth that didn't play well in a game or two this season?  Was UCONN that impressive at Gtown over the weekend or when St. John's punked their asssss???  Was Xavier impressive at Wintrust????  Let's cut the nonsense. We are absolutely capable of winning all 4 of these games.  Now, will it be difficult?  Yes.  Could we lose 3/4?  Possibly.  But what happened last year or against Butler has literally nothing to do with how we and our opponents will play the next four contests.  Fk all of them and let's get our offense cooking again by draining daggers all over the floor. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2023, 01:15:26 PM »
Muggsy

There is not going to be a repeat of last year, or previous years, IMO. This team has done everything that has been asked of them for  95% of the season and I have no concern moving forward. They played better against Nova than some on here gave them credit for and their defense continues to improve. Very much looking forward to the game tomorrow and fully am expecting a very good college basketball game.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2023, 01:40:03 PM »
I think UConn is a big game for us not because it is the next game but it allows us to split with Creighton and Xavier and still have a chance to win the Big East.  I can see a path for MU to win all those games but in terms of margin of error it helps.  We also haven't stolen a big win on the road so this would be a good steal. 

I have said this for awhile but I don't think MU wins the Big East with more than 2 additional losses.  I think Xavier has the cleanest path to finish the season but also just lost a key player.  They have two games against the Top 5 (Us, Xavier, Providence, Creighton and UConn).  I could see Xavier with only 1 loss (to us) the rest of the way. 

Creighton has three games against the Top 5; however; two are at home.  Of the three they play UConn, Providence and us, I am more confident that MU would be the team to beat them.  I don't trust either UConn or Providence to win that game.  We have a game in hand with Creighton so if MU beats them then we would have the two games to lose and still tie with them.  If we beat UConn then we would have that game in hand potentially going into that game. 

Providence.  Could just be me but I don't see them with the same lens.  I see MU, Xavier and Creighton as a Group, then Providence, then UConn.  We have a game in hand and they have to play both Xavier and Creighton.  We need them to lose 1-2 more.  A loss to UConn would be ideal.

UConn is out of it but they can play spoiler.  Ideally they play spoiler to Creighton and Providence.   

3-1 in this stretch I think gets us the Big East trophy potentially outright so UConn helps set us off right.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2023, 01:44:15 PM »
I think UConn is a big game for us not because it is the next game but it allows us to split with Creighton and Xavier and still have a chance to win the Big East.  I can see a path for MU to win all those games but in terms of margin of error it helps.  We also haven't stolen a big win on the road so this would be a good steal. 

I have said this for awhile but I don't think MU wins the Big East with more than 2 additional losses.  I think Xavier has the cleanest path to finish the season but also just lost a key player.  They have two games against the Top 5 (Us, Xavier, Providence, Creighton and UConn).  I could see Xavier with only 1 loss (to us) the rest of the way. 

Creighton has three games against the Top 5; however; two are at home.  Of the three they play UConn, Providence and us, I am more confident that MU would be the team to beat them.  I don't trust either UConn or Providence to win that game.  We have a game in hand with Creighton so if MU beats them then we would have the two games to lose and still tie with them.  If we beat UConn then we would have that game in hand potentially going into that game. 

Providence.  Could just be me but I don't see them with the same lens.  I see MU, Xavier and Creighton as a Group, then Providence, then UConn.  We have a game in hand and they have to play both Xavier and Creighton.  We need them to lose 1-2 more.  A loss to UConn would be ideal.

UConn is out of it but they can play spoiler.  Ideally they play spoiler to Creighton and Providence.   

3-1 in this stretch I think gets us the Big East trophy potentially outright so UConn helps set us off right.

I hate to break it to you but the top 5 would include seton hall not UConn.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2023, 02:02:20 PM »
I hate to break it to you but the top 5 would include seton hall not UConn.

Disagree
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2023, 02:45:36 PM »
Disagree

Do you use some different standings? At this moment UCONN is in 6th...

https://www.bigeast.com/standings.aspx?standings=1029
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2023, 02:53:06 PM »
Marquette has three remaining Quadrant 1 games on their schedule, and all of them come in the next 15 days. Today we look at the 10 teams from the end of the 2-line to the start of the 5-line to see where Marquette stands currently and what it would take to move up, hold firm, or fall. These games will be crucial for seeding and looking at the records and metrics of teams around Marquette makes it easy to see why. We also have a new S-Curve and Bracket after a chaotic weekend in college basketball!

https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2023/02/marquettes-q1-gauntlet.html

Just want to acknowledge and say thanks for the great work you guys do! Really adds to the hard core MU fan's experience and understanding of where we stand. Thank you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2023, 02:53:17 PM »
Do you use some different standings? At this moment UCONN is in 6th...

https://www.bigeast.com/standings.aspx?standings=1029

No one said “top 5 in current win loss record”.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2023, 02:58:20 PM »
No one said “top 5 in current win loss record”.

you're right who would assume that from "top 5" of course I should've defaulted to net or kenpom or the polls rather than the current standings.

Apologies to both you and ballboy
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2023, 03:03:45 PM »
Muggs

You really need to relax.  Someone comments on MU , and you disagree and you start w the F that?  Lots of venom and agitation… geez. Relax.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2023, 03:25:34 PM »
Muggs

You really need to relax.  Someone comments on MU , and you disagree and you start w the F that?  Lots of venom and agitation… geez. Relax.

No venom, I just prefer positive vibes. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2023, 03:28:14 PM »
Muggsy

There is not going to be a repeat of last year, or previous years, IMO. This team has done everything that has been asked of them for  95% of the season and I have no concern moving forward. They played better against Nova than some on here gave them credit for and their defense continues to improve. Very much looking forward to the game tomorrow and fully am expecting a very good college basketball game.

I'm optimistic Goose.  There's no doubt we didn't play well Saturday but this team is very capable and some of our guys slept walked. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2023, 03:58:48 PM »
We will see if the February Fade is an annual chronic issue or it is a F'em item of the past.
Good luck Boys.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2023, 04:09:25 PM »
We will see if the February Fade is an annual chronic issue or it is a F'em item of the past.
Good luck Boys.

F'em Feb

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2023, 04:24:03 PM »
I'm optimistic Goose.  There's no doubt we didn't play well Saturday but this team is very capable and some of our guys slept walked.
My concern is I felt Oso has not played well the last two games. He has to play much better, for us to win qt UConn.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2023, 04:33:49 PM »
My concern is I felt Oso has not played well the last two games. He has to play much better, for us to win qt UConn.

I agree with you bilsu but I think he'll bounce back.  The turns on Sat. we're clearly problematic. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2023, 04:34:14 PM »
you're right who would assume that from "top 5" of course I should've defaulted to net or kenpom or the polls rather than the current standings.

Apologies to both you and ballboy

I was referring to the top 5 as the best teams which is why I listed them. No one would include Seton Hall in the Top 5 for anything other than current standings which will likely change soon. Currently, UConn, MU, Providence, X and Creighton are all ranked, all higher in KenPom, Polls, etc. Sorry for stealing your opportunity to be snarky.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2023, 04:55:09 PM »
I just want to get firmly on that 3 line to avoid the 13 seeds.  I've seen multiple brackets with us lining up to play VCU in a 4/13 matchup.

Though it would be fun, I'd rather avoid that Shaka/VCU matchup and get as much of a cupcake as possible in Round 1.

Like 14 seed Davidson in 2013? Or 14 seed Holy Cross in 2003?

Marquette (like many teams these days) has the kind of team that would have a chance to beat almost any NCAA team but could also be beaten by almost any of them. The first round game isn’t likely to be a cupcake of any flavor.

I’m always wary of teams that are from lesser conferences that are loaded with players who have been playing college basketball for 4 or 5 years. They come in with nothing to lose because nobody expects them to do anything while the higher seed feels the pressure to advance.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 04:58:35 PM by wisblue »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2023, 05:26:19 PM »
Tomorrow is MU’s most impactful seed game remaining. I know I’m in the minority here, but I’d much rather win tomorrow (if I had to pick 1 win to get against X, UConn, Creighton). It’s MU’s last regular season game against a top 10 team tomorrow.

For those talking about Arizona, there’s probably no higher seeded 1 or 2 team (maybe Tennessee) that I’d rather be in the same region with.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2023, 05:26:34 PM »
Like 14 seed Davidson in 2013? Or 14 seed Holy Cross in 2003?

Marquette (like many teams these days) has the kind of team that would have a chance to beat almost any NCAA team but could also be beaten by almost any of them. The first round game isn’t likely to be a cupcake of any flavor.

I’m always wary of teams that are from lesser conferences that are loaded with players who have been playing college basketball for 4 or 5 years. They come in with nothing to lose because nobody expects them to do anything while the higher seed feels the pressure to advance.

You think this team could get beat by anybody? I think that's a stretch.
VIOLENCE!

1SE

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2023, 05:28:27 PM »
Tomorrow is MU’s most impactful seed game remaining. I know I’m in the minority here, but I’d much rather win tomorrow (if I had to pick 1 win to get against X, UConn, Creighton). It’s MU’s last regular season game against a top 10 team tomorrow.

For those talking about Arizona, there’s probably no higher seeded 1 or 2 team (maybe Tennessee) that I’d rather be in the same region with.

I agree in that I think this game sets our seed ceiling - if we lose I think a 2 seed is out the window but that's my gut, not Brew's analysis. 
Real Warriors Demand Excellence