collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU tennis, track & field to become non-scholarship sports  (Read 4082 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: MU tennis, track & field to become non-scholarship sports
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2023, 11:59:09 AM »

Why do you think those athletes would be replaced by 80-90 other students? Marquette isn't at capacity by any means. They would take those 80-90 students right now - assuming they are qualified.

That's a fair question. It's an assumption I'm making and it absolutely could be wrong. As I look back to the initial post of yours that I referred to, you were referencing sports that we do not have -- so you were talking about cutting (or not having programs). In that context, I think you may be correct. Once you cut wrestling, those wrestlers are gone and that might well result in a net reduction of students.

To the extent the conversation then shifted to track and field -- a sport that will continue as a non-scholarship sport -- I suspect that MU will still attract the athletes to fill the program. As I understand it, the majority of the athletes are non-scholarship even now (although it's an equivalency sport so it's hard to know how many have partials). I suspect most track athletes who have the talent level to justify an athletic scholarship will elect to go somewhere else in the future. I also suspect that they will be replaced by non-scholarship athletes who find Marquette to be a more appealing non-scholarship opportunity than some other schools. I think athletes in non-revenue sports -- particularly those with limited scholarship -- are still often looking to go to bigger and better schools.

On a somewhat related note, I wonder if anyone on 'Scoop knows if MU has historically fully funded all of its non-revenue sports with max scholarships (aside from an occasional open scholarship due to unforeseen circumstances).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2023, 12:08:31 PM »
On a somewhat related note, I wonder if anyone on 'Scoop knows if MU has historically fully funded all of its non-revenue sports with max scholarships (aside from an occasional open scholarship due to unforeseen circumstances).

Currently, Marquette funds the equivalent of 96 full-tuition scholarships on an annual basis through revenues generated by annual giving and proceeds from athletic endowed scholarships. The NCAA permits Marquette to offer the equivalent of 136 full athletic scholarships and we have not yet reached our potential to maximize our aid to our student-athletes.

https://mubbgameday.com/fund-mission.html

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2023, 12:46:33 PM »
Currently, Marquette funds the equivalent of 96 full-tuition scholarships on an annual basis through revenues generated by annual giving and proceeds from athletic endowed scholarships. The NCAA permits Marquette to offer the equivalent of 136 full athletic scholarships and we have not yet reached our potential to maximize our aid to our student-athletes.

Thank you. I appreciate that. The obvious next question if anyone knows: what sports are not fully funded. That's 40 scholarships -- roughly 30% -- that are not being funded. That makes me curious if the funding for T&F and Tennis was already not being used and this is just making it official. Or if this means that the 96 that historically funded is going to be reduced by another 30.

The scholarship limits are below.

Men's Sports
BB - 13
XC/T&F - 12.6
Golf - 4.5
LAX - 12.6
Soccer - 9.9
Tennis - 4.5
Total Men's Available: 57.1

Women's Sports
BB - 15
CC/T&F - 18
LAX - 12
Soccer - 14
Tennis - 8
VB - 12
Total Women's Available: 79

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2023, 03:06:57 PM »
So Marquette accepts more women because there are more available scholarships to offer? Are you saying Marquette can have more women on athletic scholarships than men?

To your first question, no. They accept more women because there are a lot more women going to college than men. IIRC, in 2021 almost 60% of college students in the states were female.

To your second question, yes. Title IX doesn't require equality in sports, they require equity in sports. If a university enrolls more women they can offer more athletic scholarships to women. The opposite is also true.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2023, 03:55:30 PM »
To your first question, no. They accept more women because there are a lot more women going to college than men. IIRC, in 2021 almost 60% of college students in the states were female.

To your second question, yes. Title IX doesn't require equality in sports, they require equity in sports. If a university enrolls more women they can offer more athletic scholarships to women. The opposite is also true.

...and how is capping 4 scholarships for men and 8 for women in golf equitable. The cap has no correlation to enrollment demographics. It appears discriminatory on the face of it to me.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2023, 03:58:03 PM »
...and how is capping 4 scholarships for men and 8 for women in golf equitable. The cap has no correlation to enrollment demographics. It appears discriminatory on the face of it to me.

Log off
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2023, 04:00:57 PM »

Are you arguing just to argue again?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2023, 04:16:33 PM »
There goes our national ranking.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2023, 04:47:50 PM »

Are you arguing just to argue again?

The new Scoop motto

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2023, 05:17:02 PM »

First, the correct numbers are 4.5 for men and 6 for women which translates out to approximately 57% of the golf scholarships going to women and 43% to men which actually means that men are overrepresented compared to the overall college population.

Second, Title IX requires overall equity between all of a university's athletics. Not equity within individual sports. Again, if we required equity in individual sports, we would have women's football and MU would be punished for not having men's volleyball.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2023, 12:51:18 PM »
I thought about this move a little more. I bet Gonzaga is joining the conference.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2023, 10:46:17 AM »
This is disappointing.

Anyone who tries to spin this as anything other but a kick in the balls for these programs and the athletes/alumni associated with them is being disingenuous.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2023, 10:48:43 AM »
This is disappointing.

Anyone who tries to spin this as anything other but a kick in the balls for these programs and the athletes/alumni associated with them is being disingenuous.

I don't think anyone is spinning it any such way.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback