[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Bobby Hull  (Read 980 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
RIP Bobby Hull
« on: January 30, 2023, 10:14:36 AM »
Rough times for Chi sports.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: RIP Bobby Hull
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 10:19:07 AM »
Used to go to Will's northwoods and drink red wine till he got too handsy with some workers and would get kicked out. Wash rinse repeat. It was actually a bit sad.

That being said his contribution to the legacy of the Blackhawks is huge.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 10:42:37 AM »
Used to go to Will's northwoods and drink red wine till he got too handsy with some workers and would get kicked out. Wash rinse repeat. It was actually a bit sad.

That being said his contribution to the legacy of the Blackhawks is huge.

Blackhawks tried to distance themselves from him over the last several years.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 11:08:10 AM »
Blackhawks tried to distance themselves from him over the last several years.

Yeah, incredible hockey player, and also an incredible abusive POS.  And that was before his pro-Hitler comments a decade ago.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 11:14:37 AM »
Yeah, incredible hockey player, and also an incredible abusive POS.  And that was before his pro-Hitler comments a decade ago.

As a little kid, he was one of my fave athletes.

I think he was one of those guys who didn't know what to do after his playing days were over. He became a raging drunk which may or may not have been a contributing cause for wife abuse.

It's one of the reasons guys just hang on longer that we think they should. They just don't know any other kind of life.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 11:16:46 AM »

Say what? I never heard about these things he said
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 11:28:46 AM »
Say what? I never heard about these things he said

MOSCOW (AP) _ Former NHL star Bobby Hull told a Russian newspaper that Nazis were not without merit, that the black population of the United States was growing too fast, and that genetic breeding was a worthy idea.

``Hitler, for example, had some good ideas. He just went a little bit too far,″ the Hall of Fame player told the English-language Moscow Times.

https://apnews.com/article/cf1c3c1dad5f443ba4edd4e16f71250c

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 11:30:34 AM »
   MOSCOW (AP) _ Former NHL star Bobby Hull told a Russian newspaper that Nazis were not without merit, that the black population of the United States was growing too fast, and that genetic breeding was a worthy idea.

``Hitler, for example, had some good ideas. He just went a little bit too far,″ the Hall of Fame player told the English-language Moscow Times.

Good god...
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 12:53:57 PM »
Good god...

Too many concussions?!?

Good grief!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 01:18:01 PM »
Mr. Marge Schott.

But yes, a hell of a hockey player.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 03:12:46 PM »
The Golden Jet had the best slap shot in the NHL and played at a fast pace. He was a lot of fun to watch. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 03:45:42 PM »

Yikes.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 05:46:08 PM »
One of the worst days of my sports fandom as a child was when he signed with Winnipeg.  I was 8 years old in 1972, and that kind of thing just didn’t happen.  He was at the peak of his powers and free agency wasn’t a thing. But he could go to the WHL. Felt like such a betrayal. 😂 who knew what was coming just a few years later with free agency and now even college “free agency”.

And yes, he was a POS.  My dad has stories about seeing Hull, Mikita (also apparently a real POS, which is not as well know), Glenn Hall etc T Freddie’s on the west side after games.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 05:53:33 PM »
Rest in piss

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 10:08:42 PM »
Kind of amazing the whitewashing going on from some of the NHL media on Twitter today.  Accompanied by a bunch of people being like “he gave me and my friends autographs, he was a great guy!”

Meanwhile you have more recent athletes who were good teammates and clean off the field but aren’t media friendly or gregarious and they get made out to be surly scoundrels by the same writers.  Without Nazi sympathizing

I’m far from one to let a single incident or run of behavior in their 20s color someone’s entire life/legacy (hell, Patrick Kane was a royal POS and douche for many years but has cleaned up and mellowed out and been an exemplary pro for almost a decade now), but Hull had decades of such behavior that being friendly at fan events doesn’t cancel out.