Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Strotman: How Shaka brought me back  (Read 6204 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Strotman: How Shaka brought me back
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2023, 04:20:58 AM »
This article really defines my perspective.  Living and working 8-15 time zones away from where the games are played for the last several (28) years, I often am faced with the choice of a good night's sleep or an MU game viewed through a slightly too slow internet connection.  Increasingly during the Wojo era I opted for sleep.  For about 12 years I had a streak of getting to at least one game per year... usually after a transpacific flight, land at ORD, go to Milwaukee and catch a game before heading north to see my parents & family.  Wojo helped me break that streak.   

Now I find myself choosing games over sleep, and am planning my next US visit based on the need to see a game in person... anywhere...

It is really an entertaining and fun style of basketball this year - and the winning makes it even more compelling.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2023, 05:34:01 AM »
Whatevs. My fandom never changed.    Born of the last two years of Majerus and the first two of Dukiet.  Wojo was easy.  Not particularly inspiring. 

Welcome back.

I also wouldn't say my fandom "changed"...I was always a Marquette guy and always rooted for them. I tried to watch every game. But I do remember a time late in Wojo's tenure -- not sure if it was his last year or not -- when I realized that Marquette had played the day before. I had completely forgotten that they had a game. That was unthinkable for a long, long time. And now it's unthinkable again.

I'm really enjoying this.

We are Marquette!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2023, 05:45:18 AM »
I love what Shaka has done so far and I love this team - I've never left my MU fandom but we're not "back" until we see some success in March. I think we'll get that this year.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2023, 06:17:22 AM »
Im no better than anyone on here…..but I have never passed up MUBB tickets to watch a movie. MH was must see tv.

I did this once during the Wojo era (I had Hamilton tickets, so not a movie but close enough), against #1 Nova. I still think it was the right choice.

But I NEVER would have done that in the Buzz era and I'm pretty confident I wouldn't do it now.  Those years were just ok.  But I never had any confidence in Wojo's teams and they just weren't supposed to be fun.

(I, of course, was wrong about that particular game)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2023, 06:30:50 AM »
No hero ball, team ball; that is what is back. Who needs a go to guy. Maybe we should retire the SOTG thread when we have 9 guys and can't decide because no one real hero stood out.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2023, 06:37:14 AM »
This article really defines my perspective.  Living and working 8-15 time zones away from where the games are played for the last several (28) years, I often am faced with the choice of a good night's sleep or an MU game viewed through a slightly too slow internet connection.  Increasingly during the Wojo era I opted for sleep.  For about 12 years I had a streak of getting to at least one game per year... usually after a transpacific flight, land at ORD, go to Milwaukee and catch a game before heading north to see my parents & family.  Wojo helped me break that streak.   

Now I find myself choosing games over sleep, and am planning my next US visit based on the need to see a game in person... anywhere...

It is really an entertaining and fun style of basketball this year - and the winning makes it even more compelling.

Come to the Gtown game in DC and we could meet up. Afterwards, just for fun, we can storm the Capitol.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2023, 06:40:50 AM »
I did this once during the Wojo era (I had Hamilton tickets, so not a movie but close enough), against #1 Nova. I still think it was the right choice.

But I NEVER would have done that in the Buzz era and I'm pretty confident I wouldn't do it now.  Those years were just ok.  But I never had any confidence in Wojo's teams and they just weren't supposed to be fun.

I skipped an Elton John and Billy Joel concert to watch Marquette get it's doors blown off on TV.  So I might be the biggest dingus here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 06:43:58 AM by Hards Alumni »

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2023, 08:08:15 AM »
I Wasn’t even born for most of the KO years but in my opinion, KO saved the program, Shaka reinvigorated it.

Marquette as a brand after Wojo was never really in danger and will always have been fine because they have the dollars to spend.

If KO didn’t come along though, who knows what could have happened.

Side note, always find it interesting that KO never won another NCAA tourney game after Marquette.

Great perspective.  KO absolutely saved the program but Bill Cords deserves credit as well.  He saw they were in danger of falling into irrelevance with Dukiet and as an independent.  He fired Dukiet, brought in a very young KO and joined a conference.  Then quickly got us in a better conference.  Those moves were huge for the program to return to prominence.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2023, 08:15:54 AM »
Warrior69

Last year I said all MU fans would remember every member from that team as being the foundation of the rebirth of MU basketball and I believe that to be true. This year, I believe every fan will remember a season that was team oriented and building off the foundation built last year. The returning guys had enough success, maybe not enough for some fans, to know what success feels like. I believe the poor finish last year, coupled with the success they had, was the springboard for this season.

I guess I am saying that SOTG never really meant much to me, aside from conversation. This year MU fans have seen what a team looks like and a team with strong leadership and a common goal. I am impressed every time I see the guys talking to each other and coaching each other. Al always said his teams were an extension of him and this program is an extension of Shaka.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2023, 08:39:39 AM »
Should've added one other note. Student starting in fall of '89. Was a game against Loyola in December of 89. Group I was with thought I was really weird to actually be into the game and concerned about whether MU won or lost. Overall apathy then was higher than that it was a couple of years ago, but couple of years was worst since late 80s IMHO.
GO WARRIORS!

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2023, 08:40:11 AM »
I see a pattern in this thread. The guys who went to school when the program was good to great were down on the program during the Wojo era. The guys who went to school when the program was meh to crappy didn’t mind. Maybe it brought back memories.

This seems to be exactly the case.   From my perspective, since I didn't do my undergrad at MU, I was one of those "I support all the D1 schools in the state" people... until I came to MU in 2013.  It took a couple years to transition, but was fully converted during the Wojo years.  This is probably why I too gave him a lot more leeway and saw the March meltdowns as flukes... year after year.  There always seemed to be a reason(s) for it and it was always "next year!" we'll make it happen.   

So this observation holds true in my case and can see why it had for many others. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2023, 09:05:54 AM »

See, I happen to think the 2016-17 season was a lot of fun. It wasn't as well-coached or talented as this season's team is, but they had 6-7 guys who could score, they moved the ball pretty well, they beat the #1 defending champs in a thrilling finish, they had several other nice wins, and they didn't crater at the end of the season (won 4 of last 5 regular-season games to clinch NCAAT bid). We lost in the NCAAT, but it was a close game most of the way against a South Carolina team that got to play at home and ended up reaching the Final Four, and the team included 2 exciting freshmen who gave us lots of hope for the future. It was only Wojo's 3rd year and things seemed to be on an upward swing. If Marquette fans didn't enjoy that season with freshmen Sam and Markus, as well as JJJ, Rowsey, Katin, Duane, etc, I don't know what to say.

Same with the 2018-19 season, at least until the late crash. I mean, we went 20-2 over 3 months, and we had an All-American, plus Sam, plus some good role players.

With 20/20 hindsight, we know that Wojo couldn't sustain success, and yes, there were some Scoopers who were right about Wojo well before that. But in real time, it was pretty easy for this Marquette fan to enjoy those seasons.

But again, this season's team in particular and this program being built now tops all of those. And unlike the Wojo era, any objective observer would have to conclude that the program actually has focus and direction under Shaka, with an almost limitless future.

I see no reason why we can't have at least Buzz-level success. Maybe even be -- yes, I'll say it -- "The Next Nova."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2023, 09:12:11 AM »
Maybe even be -- yes, I'll say it -- "The Next Nova."

I'd settle for the next Gonzaga, if we become the next Nova and I'll go back & get another degree from MU just to feel like I'm a part of it lol
Maigh Eo for Sam

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2023, 09:13:19 AM »
See, I happen to think the 2016-17 season was a lot of fun. It wasn't as well-coached or talented as this season's team is, but they had 6-7 guys who could score, they moved the ball pretty well, they beat the #1 defending champs in a thrilling finish, they had several other nice wins, and they didn't crater at the end of the season (won 4 of last 5 regular-season games to clinch NCAAT bid). We lost in the NCAAT, but it was a close game most of the way against a South Carolina team that got to play at home and ended up reaching the Final Four, and the team included 2 exciting freshmen who gave us lots of hope for the future. It was only Wojo's 3rd year and things seemed to be on an upward swing. If Marquette fans didn't enjoy that season with freshmen Sam and Markus, as well as JJJ, Rowsey, Katin, Duane, etc, I don't know what to say.

Same with the 2018-19 season, at least until the late crash. I mean, we went 20-2 over 3 months, and we had an All-American, plus Sam, plus some good role players.

With 20/20 hindsight, we know that Wojo couldn't sustain success, and yes, there were some Scoopers who were right about Wojo well before that. But in real time, it was pretty easy for this Marquette fan to enjoy those seasons.

But again, this season's team in particular and this program being built now tops all of those. And unlike the Wojo era, any objective observer would have to conclude that the program actually has focus and direction under Shaka, with an almost limitless future.

I see no reason why we can't have at least Buzz-level success. Maybe even be -- yes, I'll say it -- "The Next Nova."

Great post, spot on.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2023, 09:18:11 AM »
One more thank you to the Blog Boys who got Wojo fired and saved our University. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2023, 09:21:09 AM »
One more thank you to the Blog Boys who got Wojo fired and saved our University.

🚨🚨🚨CHICOS BLOOD BOIL ALERT🚨🚨🚨
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2023, 10:13:06 AM »
I think the pinnacle of the wojo era was 02/23/19 when they demolished Providence at the Dunk and moved to 23-4. Specifically, it was the stretch from 12:08-10:21 in the 2nd half when they blew the game open and made 4 straight 3s (3 by the hausers, 1 Markus) and were passing the ball better than I’d seen in a long time.

My main gripe with the Wojo tenure is just how incompetent and in over his head he was when he got here. The first two years he did nothing to build the program and they were just completely lost years in MU basketball history. He was starting from scratch in year 3 and the program had zero identity. Couple that with his smug and arrogant demeanor and I think it’s easy to see why a lot of fans were turned off by that point even when they started winning a few games.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2023, 10:21:43 AM »
I think the pinnacle of the wojo era was 02/23/19 when they demolished Providence at the Dunk and moved to 23-4. Specifically, it was the stretch from 12:08-10:21 in the 2nd half when they blew the game open and made 4 straight 3s (3 by the hausers, 1 Markus) and were passing the ball better than I’d seen in a long time.

My main gripe with the Wojo tenure is just how incompetent and in over his head he was when he got here. The first two years he did nothing to build the program and they were just completely lost years in MU basketball history. He was starting from scratch in year 3 and the program had zero identity. Couple that with his smug and arrogant demeanor and I think it’s easy to see why a lot of fans were turned off by that point even when they started winning a few games.

????????

1SE

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »

I'm a strong believer that sometimes things work out the way they are supposed to - without those flashes of Wojo success (And they were fun in the moment - I was converted by that 20-2 stretch - it include some incredible wins and really exciting ball) he's probably fired at some earlier point.  Maybe we get Oates or one of the other young guns at that point, but it's hard to see anyone having worked out better as a long term prospect than Shaka.

As long as we win in March.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2023, 10:51:10 AM »

I went online and bought two flights to NYC for Saturday BET.  I'll never get over that Friday night loss to SHU.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2023, 11:22:04 AM »
I’m with the numerous posters above that never stopped watching or caring despite the mediocrity, but that also acknowledge that apathy surely crept in; or should I say stormed in. That said, I cannot imagine stopping to watch something for which I am so passionate about. It seems awfully much like quitting. But, to each their own.

The death knoll for a program is apathy. And, again, while I didn’t miss a game (unless on very rare occasion it was impossible otherwise to watch, listen, etc.), I cannot deny the apathy that set in. Texts between friends about MU Basketball dwindled down to nothing. Losses lent themselves to a disappointed shrug of the shoulders. Big wins brought a glimpse of hope only for that hope to be drained again shortly thereafter.

What Shaka has done is remarkable. Nothing lasts forever. Enjoy this ride while we are on it. I hope it only gets better.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2023, 07:17:38 AM »
I went online and bought two flights to NYC for Saturday BET.  I'll never get over that Friday night loss to SHU.
Me neither.  My niece was accepted to Seton Hall (along with several other colleges) so for Christmas I bought her sweatshirts to the other colleges at which she was accepted with promises of more if she doesn't go to SHU.  Her father, my brother-in-law,  was born and raised in NJ and has several relatives who went to SHU (a few of whom attend my Day 2 NCAA Tournament party), though he did not.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2023, 07:21:32 AM »

+1.  I remember walking out of that game thinking we had the Big East regular season title sewn up and that a Final Four, while not likely, was something you could dream about if things broke right.  Just a few weeks later and I was just hoping against hope that we could find a way to win one NCAA game, which of course we didn't.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2023, 07:33:01 AM »
I’m with the numerous posters above that never stopped watching or caring despite the mediocrity, but that also acknowledge that apathy surely crept in; or should I say stormed in. That said, I cannot imagine stopping to watch something for which I am so passionate about. It seems awfully much like quitting. But, to each their own.

The death knoll for a program is apathy. And, again, while I didn’t miss a game (unless on very rare occasion it was impossible otherwise to watch, listen, etc.), I cannot deny the apathy that set in. Texts between friends about MU Basketball dwindled down to nothing. Losses lent themselves to a disappointed shrug of the shoulders. Big wins brought a glimpse of hope only for that hope to be drained again shortly thereafter.

What Shaka has done is remarkable. Nothing lasts forever. Enjoy this ride while we are on it. I hope it only gets better.

Hey, there were at least a couple of clown-arse posters last March who, after the late-season flameout and NCAAT beatdown, claimed they were done forever with Marquette basketball. (Good effen riddance.) One dope even said Shaka should be fired. (They haven't been heard from this season, thank goodness. The bandwagon is closed to people that dumb.)

And that after Shaka so obviously was already starting to turn around the program's culture, not to mention putting together a season that was way beyond most observer's expectations.

Given that, it's hardly surprising that a good percentage of the fanbase just stopped caring during the Wojo era, especially the final season.

But I'm like you. If a Marquette game is on, I simply have to watch it even if I've become a little apathetic. And I have to root for the team to win, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2023, 08:07:18 AM »
Hey, there were at least a couple of clown-arse posters last March who, after the late-season flameout and NCAAT beatdown, claimed they were done forever with Marquette basketball. (Good effen riddance.) One dope even said Shaka should be fired. (They haven't been heard from this season, thank goodness. The bandwagon is closed to people that dumb.)

And that after Shaka so obviously was already starting to turn around the program's culture, not to mention putting together a season that was way beyond most observer's expectations.

Given that, it's hardly surprising that a good percentage of the fanbase just stopped caring during the Wojo era, especially the final season.

But I'm like you. If a Marquette game is on, I simply have to watch it even if I've become a little apathetic. And I have to root for the team to win, too.

If Shaka flameouts this March he should be fired
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.