Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It was the worst of halves, it was the best of halves.  (Read 8126 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: It was the worst of halves, it was the best of halves.
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2023, 08:46:14 PM »
don't know if it was noticed/mentioned here, but special "K" only had ONE turnover.

that is an amazing number for any point guard
don't...don't don't don't don't

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2023, 08:53:24 PM »
The second notable defensive change is that on the few times in the second half SJU fed Soriano at the top and tried to run motion off of it, the MU defender's quit following the guard around the top, instead going under.   
Yes—I was hoping for this change….and it happened.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2023, 08:56:01 PM »
I've been very pleased with the way Kam has let the game come to him.  He's taking much better shots over the last month.
Took a few bombs tonight……right at the release I say “short” and it hits the front of the rim.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2023, 09:12:19 PM »
I remember not being too worried down 7 at half. It reminded me of the scene from the Hustler when Paul Newman is initially beating Jackie Gleason like a drum. George C. Scott sizes up Newman and tells Gleason something to the effect of, "Keep playing. This guy's a loser." And Gleason wears him down.

Greatest sport’s movie ever.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2023, 09:15:45 PM »
I remember not being too worried down 7 at half. It reminded me of the scene from the Hustler when Paul Newman is initially beating Jackie Gleason like a drum. George C. Scott sizes up Newman and tells Gleason something to the effect of, "Keep playing. This guy's a loser." And Gleason wears him down.

Great flick.  Willie Mosconi did some of the shots for the film and played a bit part.  I believe Mosconi in an exhibition drained 550 straight shots.....or something like that Spaniel. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2023, 09:19:43 PM »
The Color of Money sucked btw. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2023, 09:24:36 PM »
Tyler Kolek may end going down as one of my all time favorites before his career is over. I have liked him from day one and I hope they have some real success in March to enhance his legacy. He is a special college basketball player.

If you haven't read The Athletic article yet, you should. You'll be even more in like with Kolek than you already are!

He was masterful tonight. Ran the offense superbly, made one outstanding decision after another. Even hustled down for an offensive rebound bucket after Ross stole the ball but missed a layup.

We needed better PG play this season. We're getting it from TK. It helps even more that we have a second great facilitator on the floor in Oso. Our offense sure is a pleasure to watch most of the time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2023, 09:28:56 PM »
Kolek is markedly more in control of his game and emotions this year. Makes 8 assists and 0 or 1 TOs look almost routine. He also sees the court in real time like a coach watching film. Love his game. He and Oso put on a passing clinic every game and Stevie, OMax and Kam have gotten really good at flashing at the right time for drop passes. High IQ basketball and very fun to watch.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2023, 09:29:35 PM »
Shaka Called out Butch being there in his post game radio interview.  He always hits those program notes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2023, 09:40:07 PM »
Did the team stay out east after Nova? Can't imagine how tough it'd be to go out and back in a four day span including new years.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2023, 09:48:30 PM »
Unacceptable that we pulled away to win by double-digits. Still stuck with that 1-4 record in close games.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2023, 10:21:24 PM »
So who’s the first knob to call GT a trap game? 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2023, 10:39:27 PM »
So who’s the first knob to call GT a trap game?

Well the typical prediction knob GoldenEagles03 already called SJU a trap game.

Which was hilarious considering Gtown was the next oppenent. So I'm assuming hes going to double down and say it again for Saturday.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2023, 10:45:16 PM »
Well the typical prediction knob GoldenEagles03 already called SJU a trap game.

Which was hilarious considering Gtown was the next oppenent. So I'm assuming hes going to double down and say it again for Saturday.

Some of you are really pricks, to put it nicely.

The exact quote was

"Everything about this game screams trap for Marquette, but I trust this team to not fall into the trap.

This staff is good at hammering home the fact that you have to show up more desperate than the teams who are playing desperate."
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:47:25 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2023, 11:02:42 PM »
Some of you are really pricks, to put it nicely.

The exact quote was

"Everything about this game screams trap for Marquette, but I trust this team to not fall into the trap.

This staff is good at hammering home the fact that you have to show up more desperate than the teams who are playing desperate."

Don’t make yourself a target here or anywhere, they will get you.

Scoop is supposed to be an enjoyable place, like the local cafe or a place of worship!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2023, 11:14:09 PM »
Don’t make yourself a target here or anywhere, they will get you.

Scoop is supposed to be an enjoyable place, like the local cafe or a place of worship!

Being a target for saying I don't think Marquette will fall for a potential trap game tonight?

I came here to enjoy talking about my favorite basketball team, but if people are pricks for no reason then it'll be easy enjoy elsewhere.
VIOLENCE!

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2023, 11:30:54 PM »
According to the New York Post, our 96 points is the most ever scored by an opponent in regulation in that building, which opened in 1961.  Very impressive.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2023, 11:35:23 PM »
Did the team stay out east after Nova? Can't imagine how tough it'd be to go out and back in a four day span including new years.

They charter planes. It’s not like they’re sitting around waiting in airports for hours, stuck in hours long layovers, and crammed in seats with no leg room.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2023, 11:38:46 PM »
Being a target for saying I don't think Marquette will fall for a potential trap game tonight?

I came here to enjoy talking about my favorite basketball team, but if people are pricks for no reason then it'll be easy enjoy elsewhere.

You’ve threatened to leave like 17 times. This is the second time today.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2023, 05:22:32 AM »
I like winning in NY/NJ metro area.

The previous coach was 11-19 there.

This new guy is 2-1 already.

Much better!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2023, 06:48:57 AM »

In case you don't know,  a "trap game" is when you play a bad team right before playing a good team.  It's a trap because the team is looking ahead to their game against the good team and not focusing on the bad team.

People are making fun of you because our next game is against Georgetown... the worst team in the conference. Last night wasn't a trap game. The Georgetown game could be.

Also, trap games are a myth. Just a fans way to blame their team laying an egg on something besides their team playing poorly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2023, 06:55:56 AM »
In case you don't know,  a "trap game" is when you play a bad team right before playing a good team.  It's a trap because the team is looking ahead to their game against the good team and not focusing on the bad team.

People are making fun of you because our next game is against Georgetown... the worst team in the conference. Last night wasn't a trap game. The Georgetown game could be.

Also, trap games are a myth. Just a fans way to blame their team laying an egg on something besides their team playing poorly.

Spot-On analysis here. A "trap game" is complete nonsense. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2023, 06:58:33 AM »
Spot-On analysis here. A "trap game" is complete nonsense.

Georgetown is a trap game.  Have plenty of liquor available
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2023, 08:19:21 AM »

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2023, 09:40:30 AM »
While Omax was a monster in the second half, I love how basically everyone is contributing. Oso was a bit quiet last night but still had a couple of really nice passes on the interior and defended well down the stretch. Kolek had a great game. Kam did what he does, and he seems to be getting pretty consistent at it.  Stevie seems to finally be a part of the offense now. And the bench guys seem to consistently contribute solid minutes. It is definitely a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. Big, physical teams are going to give them trouble all season, however. We saw it with Providence and again with STJ. Don't know that Shaka has an answer for that.

feedback