[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Life after Wrightsil  (Read 4360 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Life after Wrightsil
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2022, 06:22:05 AM »
I will choose to trust the development plan.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2022, 06:55:12 AM »
Let things play out.
Hopefully Keeyan will contribute in the future.
Currently we have a larger rotation than the great majority of teams.

Exactly. I think it’s good to have a few “program” guys on scholarship since you aren’t going to have a 13 man rotation anyway. Having 13 guys on the roster who all think they should be getting minutes just leads to problems and the roster becomes a revolving door.

Though it’s no secret that we are one over the limit so something will have to work itself out. I wouldn’t read much into the “he’s in year 2 of a 5 year plan” (I’ve heard Shaka say this too) as that’s what he would say about everybody at this point in the season. Hopefully Keeyan is developing at the level the coaches expect of him, but from a fan’s perspective he’s off to a pretty slow start.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2022, 07:53:53 AM »
I will choose to trust the development plan.

So you want Keeyan to step up in Zach’s absence……but also continue to clang the bell of ‘trust the process’…..which means Keeyan won’t be stepping up this year. Interesting.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2022, 09:08:41 AM »
I think Keeyan will have moments this year.  I think he will develop into a solid player.  I think that is all part of the process.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2022, 09:13:15 AM »
You do? Well, that makes one.
I would love to see Keeyan have 30 important minutes or even “moments “this year, but he will need to get off of the walk-on lineup for that to happen.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 09:16:41 AM by We R Final Four »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2022, 09:15:07 AM »
What’s the Venn Diagram of:

1. Those complaining about Keeyan
2. Those complaining why MU can’t ever get a guy like Max Fiedler or Medley-Bacon, but mid-majors can?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2022, 09:18:41 AM »
Wisconsin has had 5 year project bigs forever.  Oso played 38 minutes as a freshman.    The one thing Shaka consistently did at Texas was develop bigs.   Patience is a virtue.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 09:20:45 AM by tower912 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2022, 09:23:06 AM »
I have very few beefs with Shaka's recruiting. He prioritizes switchable athletes who will excel in his system, and I don't blame him.

That said, we needed a legit backup big and he didn't get one. I'm not outraged by it or furious about it or anything like that, but it's a fact and I think most of us wish he had succeeded at bringing one in. It happens. Nobody said recruiting -- let alone talented bigs -- is easy.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 10:09:42 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2022, 09:25:02 AM »
I have very beefs with Shaka's recruiting. He prioritizes switchable athletes who will excel in his system, and I don't blame him.

That said, we needed a legit backup big and he didn't get one. I'm not outraged by it or furious about it or anything like that, but it's a fact and I think most of us wish he had succeeded at bringing one in. It happens. Nobody said recruiting -- let alone talented bigs -- is easy.

I share the same sentiments. Although looking at the two guys he was after hardest, Washington and bates, it’s easy to see why they chose butler and asu over us. Neither wanted to be a backup.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2022, 09:26:08 AM »
Wisconsin has had 5 year project bigs forever.  Oso played 38 minutes as a freshman.    The one thing Shaka consistently did at Texas was develop bigs.   Patience is a virtue.

We didn't see much of Oso under Wojo; now he is one of our best players. I think Shaka and the coaches have better insight of Keenyan's potential than we do.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2022, 09:35:24 AM »
To me guys like Keeyan and Wrightstil are just there to take a scholarship and provide a litte security if in need.  Wrightstill could have been serviceable if Oso went down with an injury...and we obviously couldn't do better with the scholarship.  Keeyan is a project, and a project big is a worthwhile gamble, especially if you don't have anywhere else to go with the scholarship.  I'm just not convinced he's developing as planned/hoped...but time will tell.

I'd have loved a serviceable big in the portal...but l think if I realize the need...Shaka did as well. 

If I'm an athletic big...watching the development and use of Oso would excite me...

If the UNC quarterback is only worth $5 million we ought to be able to get a back-up big in the portal for peanuts ::)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 09:38:49 AM by avid1010 »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2022, 09:41:54 AM »
We didn't see much of Oso under Wojo; now he is one of our best players. I think Shaka and the coaches have better insight of Keenyan's potential than we do.

Sir, this is Scoop
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2022, 09:45:52 AM »
We all would have loved a serviceable big in the portal.   

Serviceable bigs who fit in
Shaka's system and are willing to play 10 minutes a game are a dime a dozen.   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2022, 09:49:58 AM »
Every Scoop "wasted scholarship" player has wound up in the NBA. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »
I couldn't sleep last night, stayed up the whole night thinking about life after Wrightsil.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2022, 11:39:18 AM »
How many bigs has Shaka recruited who redshirted first year……didn’t play their 2nd season……and then turned into a solid player?

I honestly don’t know the answer but I didn’t see any at Texas……maybe I missed one?

Wisconsin has used the redshirt to great benefit……but to my knowledge the guys that redshirted and became good players  had a regular role in their next season. Happ started……Kaminsky was a backup for 2 years behind Berggren  but played in every game……I do remember Evan Anderson……he redshirted…..warmed the bench for 3 years ….graduated ….and didn’t use his 4th year of eligibility. Might not have been his call.

I would think it’s pretty unusual for a guy to be in his second year in the program  and still not be able to get off the bench even though there is a glaring need as a backup at his position.

I heard Keeyan talk on the radio before the season started and he said he thought he was ready to fill a role similar to what Kur did last season but as a backup to Oso…….block shots and rebound.

So it sure seems like he thought he was going to have a role this season…..Shaka obviously feels otherwise…..at least until this point.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2022, 06:21:12 PM »
Whether Keeyan  will develop into a good player is questionable. However, from what I seen he is extremely athletic and worth the effort to try to develop him.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2022, 09:01:32 PM »
We’ll see if anything changes in regards to trying to get Keeyan some spot minutes here and there now that Shaka knows Wrightsil is done. I wouldn’t expect anything to change but we’ll see.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2022, 10:16:42 PM »
We all better hope Itejere develops into an Oso type 5. Otherwise we have way too large a stake in Al Amadou stock.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2022, 07:48:57 AM »
Does anyone know much about Amadou?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2022, 08:49:37 AM »

Did he, though?
Most (all?) of his good bigs at Texas were 5- and 4-star kids who there for 1-2 years (Greg Brown, Kai Jones, Mo Bamba, Jaxson Hayes, Jarrett Allen).

This isn't to say he can't develop bigs - and he did develop some good ones at VCU - but most of his bigs at Texas weren't guys who stuck around and developed on a long-term plan. They were mostly one-and-dones.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 08:52:02 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2022, 09:19:15 AM »

Amadon't.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2022, 10:09:22 AM »

From what I recall reading:  Extremely athletic, long, wiry/thin.  Late to the game, didn't start playing until 8th grade. Hard worker.  Has a lot of charisma, leadership qualities.  He's an ascending talent.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2022, 10:44:42 AM »
Who wouldn’t love more talented bigs?

But the reality is that you can’t get everything you want all the time. You’ve gotta prioritize somewhere.

I love that Shaka has focused on building and identity first and foremost. Man was that lacking in the Wojo era. It was the first thing KO and Crean tried to do too.

I think, long term, his focus on re-establishing the kind of program he had success with pre-Texas goes along nicely with the “Marquette tough” reputation we once had with the three amigos, Jae, Jimmy, etc. He’s building a brand that will become a competitive advantage.

His recruiting is focused on four year guys who can press, play d with violence, run and gun. Becoming a magnet for guys who will live up that is the right thing to do.

We’ve had a few all conference level bigs in the last three decades, but it’s a short list. For every Scott Merritt there are 4-5 John Polonoskis, Chris Grimms and Matt Heldts. Nothing against those dudes but their upside in this system would be very limited.

I’ll stick with the coach betting on developing guys like Keeyan over most of the guys we’ve had over 6-7 since 1990. Hopefully, with another 20 pounds, he can be the kind of bouncy, switchable rebounder we need.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 10:57:52 AM by nycwarrior »

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2022, 11:08:57 AM »

feedback