[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Friar's club roast MU  (Read 8910 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Friar's club roast MU
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2022, 07:22:04 PM »
Y'all need to learn how to enjoy a hard fought loss. It was a great basketball game that we came up short in, yes because of self-inflicted wounds. But every time the team fell behind, they responded and went on a run to either take the lead or tie until the refs took out 2 of our starters. Every team will have games where they play like dog crap for stretches. Not every team has the ability to right the ship multiple times a night. There was never a point where I felt like we were out of it. If you can only enjoy the wins, then you are going to be miserable a third of the season.

Providence got significantly more calls than we did. To deny that is to deny reality. But don't go cold over the last six minutes of regulation, don't give up multiple ORs off FTs, make one more FT, and it doesn't matter.

Shaka needed to call a timeout during that stretch at the end of regulation. Not sure what he was waiting for. The team was clearly disorganized and needed some direction but Shaka let them play through it. I appreciate that he doesn't overcoach but there are times when you need to step in and get your ducks in a row.

I didn't mind the play call to Sean Jones. He's our quickest guy and got the ball up for an open shot. My guess is he was supposed to pass to an open Kam or Jop if he could but the passes weren't there so he took it himself. I would have preferred a timeout and then a SOB play as others have suggested but with less than 5 seconds, going the full court and getting an open three is not a bad outcome.

We couldn't have asked for a better shot when Kam got the ball wide open for three with a chance to ice the game in OT. He just missed it. He makes that shot 8 times out of 10. He does and we are celebrating a gritty win.

Sean Jones got benched for failing to box out the FT shooter. My guess is he never makes that mistake again. FR learning moment.

Scoring Kolek is an excellent sign. That was a warning shot to the rest of the Big East that if they try to take away his passing, he will f*ck em with his scoring

Yes, we lost because of bunch of self-inflicted wounds. But think of how well we had to play the rest of the game if we made it to double OT, on the road, against a top half Big East team, in a game where Providence got over a dozen more calls, and Bynum hit three threes and some long 2s after shooting 17% from three the rest of the season. This team will be fine. They will win games like this in the future. 12+ Big East wins.

Respectfully, I completely disagree with you.  There are no moral victories in college hoops. I wasn't able to see this game but according to a gamecast thread we were up 76-67 with like 6 mins to go.  Maybe this is factually incorrect but I believe it's  been established that we scored two points the final 7 mins That just cannot happen TAMU.   It just can't, good teams find ways to get W's in these situations.  We've now had four chances to win games down the stretch and haven't gotten it done.  Somehow we're going to have to flip this switch and win more close games than not.  That means learning how to execute on both ends of the floor for starters. 

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2022, 08:56:17 PM »
Wasn't there a Jimmy-Lazar team that had a similar start to the season and then had success? I tend to agree with most of TAMU's take. The season's a marathon.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2022, 09:18:49 PM »
Wasn't there a Jimmy-Lazar team that had a similar start to the season and then had success? I tend to agree with most of TAMU's take. The season's a marathon.

An 18-13 marathon hey??
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2022, 09:40:41 PM »
Respectfully, I completely disagree with you.  There are no moral victories in college hoops. I wasn't able to see this game but according to a gamecast thread we were up 76-67 with like 6 mins to go.  Maybe this is factually incorrect but I believe it's  been established that we scored two points the final 7 mins That just cannot happen TAMU.   It just can't, good teams find ways to get W's in these situations.  We've now had four chances to win games down the stretch and haven't gotten it done.  Somehow we're going to have to flip this switch and win more close games than not.  That means learning how to execute on both ends of the floor for starters.

Who said anything about a moral victory?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2022, 02:35:39 PM »
Shaka ran the play everybody wanted against Wisconsin.   I made the same argument then that you made in your second and third paragraphs.
After Shaka called time out the players set up in a bunch pass the half court line. It was obvious what MU was going to do. Gard saw it, and immediately called timeout and set up his defense for it. Long passes in those situations are usually intercepted. Let me know when you watch a game this year were the long pass at the end of the game actually worked.

I remember Whitehead scoring a long pass on our trip to NCAA title and Duke beating Kentucky on a long pass, but those plays are few and far between.

I also remember Tyus Edney(sp) driving the length of the floor to win the NCAA title game for UCLA. Two point or less deficit the defensive team cannot afford to foul.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2022, 02:43:22 PM »
Saying long passes work few and far between and then giving a dribbling example from 25+ years ago is certainly an interesting choice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2022, 02:45:06 PM »
After Shaka called time out the players set up in a bunch pass the half court line. It was obvious what MU was going to do. Gard saw it, and immediately called timeout and set up his defense for it. Long passes in those situations are usually intercepted. Let me know when you watch a game this year were the long pass at the end of the game actually worked.

I remember Whitehead scoring a long pass on our trip to NCAA title and Duke beating Kentucky on a long pass, but those plays are few and far between.

I also remember Tyus Edney(sp) driving the length of the floor to win the NCAA title game for UCLA. Two point or less deficit the defensive team cannot afford to foul.
It did not win them the title.     It beat Missouri.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS8QCoYfzW8

BTW, watch just to hear Al.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 03:07:43 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2022, 02:53:14 PM »
Let me know when you watch a game this year were the long pass at the end of the game actually worked.

Not sure how you're defining "long pass," but just 5 days ago in their game against Ohio State, UNC coach Hubert Davis took TO and called for a pass to midcourt so he could call another quick TO. It was executed perfectly, Davis got to set up a more do-able play from right in front of his own bench, that play also was executed well, and the UNC player swished a 15-footer at the buzzer to tie the game.

If a coach has multiple timeouts available at that point in a game, it's a pretty common strategy. I've seen it numerous times in college ball, the high-school coach I worked for used it a couple times during my two seasons there, and I even used it once myself at the middle-school level.

In Marquette's situation, with almost 5 seconds to go, Shaka had the option of trying a long-ish pass to midcourt to then call another TO; or inbounding to a fast player like either of the Joneses, getting to midcourt with a few dribbles, and then calling another TO. Instead of either of those options, Shaka decided to put the game in the hands of a freshman who had been sitting on the bench for close to an hour.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2022, 02:59:49 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2022, 03:09:42 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2022, 05:45:01 PM »
NM.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 05:53:02 PM by BM1090 »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2022, 05:16:28 PM »
I hope Carter gets reamed in the locker room by Cooley l. The Gritty dribble out was classless.

Their offense is predicated on flailing. Not sure how you defend that?

Providence moving into my list of most hated Big East team, even with Cooley at the helm.

Providence shot 22 free throws in the time I wrote this.
you should live here and have yo swallow this PC bullshat daily.