[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Impressive  (Read 2374 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Impressive
« on: December 16, 2022, 11:54:08 PM »
There are times in life, points in time, where big moments lose their values for one of many reasons.

Marquette has a BE lidlifter agains a team it( and Shaka) was 0-3 against last year, and it won very handily.

That’s it. It’s a big win in a Friday night in Milwaukee and we should treat it that way.

Let’s go get Ed Cooley at the Dunk.
Forget the metrics here btw. It’s a road game against an elite coach, let’s go.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
Re: Impressive
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 12:15:16 AM »
There are times in life, points in time, where big moments lose their values for one of many reasons.

Marquette has a BE lidlifter agains a team it( and Shaka) was 0-3 against last year, and it won very handily.

That’s it. It’s a big win in a Friday night in Milwaukee and we should treat it that way.

A "big win" at home vs a team that had lost 5 games in a row and was missing it's best player?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 12:18:49 AM »
Our quoting system to complex for you compared to Buckyville?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 12:26:04 AM »
It’s pretty simple. 

We
Back
Up

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Slim

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 05:43:08 AM »

Tell the equipment kid to bring the bat.
We got this!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 06:31:42 AM »
Ed cooley is considered an elite coach now? Has the bar fallen that low?

James cameron we need you!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 06:42:53 AM »
The Dunk is no more

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 07:59:21 AM »
speaking of providence, the mods must be sleeping in-still no score posted and countdown to the dunk
don't...don't don't don't don't

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 08:07:08 AM »
speaking of providence, the mods must be sleeping in-still no score posted and countdown to the dunk
Christmas break
Goal is National Championship

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 09:39:03 AM »

MU won easily last night...while not shooting the ball well.

I expect TK, Kam, and Jop to score better (though they sure opened things up for Oso). 

Oso's improvement is amazing...and his ability to defend and rebound without fouling is so important given our lack of depth at that position.

The freshmen are talented, have shown their bright spots, and have so much potential to improve upon.

Shaka has them ready every night.  I haven't seen MU play a game I felt they shouldn't have won this year. 

The kids seem like great guys...Shaka and staff are good people...and MU basketball is back to being competitive.

I've had season tickets since birth...40 years old now...this is so much damn fun.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 09:43:47 AM »
Speaking of the freshman, I wonder if they’ll work on Sean’s shot over the summer to ass more arc. Even his free throw last night was a line drive.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2022, 09:49:24 AM »
avid

Great post. Now it is time to get over the hump and continue to build the program. Shaka had the casual fan buying in last year and the late swoon had people believing this is the MU of old. This team needs to continue to get better, and more importantly, win basketball games.

IMO, the program is in a very good spot, but it needs to step up to the next level. I love the style of play, the kids on the team, but winning matters. I am betting this team continues to get better and we will see late season success.

Shaka needs get a NCAA win and the program needs one. If that happens this year I believe the program has a very high ceiling.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 09:56:10 AM by Goose »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2022, 09:56:04 AM »
I think we can now agree that there was plenty of development during the off season.    That was a frequent topic of discussion, development vs bringing in the big transfer.    Shaka trusted in development.    It is working so far.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2022, 09:57:17 AM »
The freshmen are talented, have shown their bright spots, and have so much potential to improve upon.

Anything we get from Gold this year feels like a bonus, but he has shown marked improvement through 12 games, particularly on the defensive end.

Ross has been better than expected; his FT form implies that he'll get a lot more competent shooting from range.

Jones still has the longest way to go reach his ceiling, but he is a pretty good finisher at the rim for a guy that is only a foot taller than Muggsy.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2022, 10:00:56 AM »
tower

I said in the offseason that Shaka retaining the returning players was an A recruiting job. If any of the returning guys happened to be transfers vs. returning guys the average fan would have been jacked up. There is not a guy who is not better this season and they all have more upside.

Get Mitchell to improve his offense, Oso to improve his shooting, Joplin his D and the list goes on. You recruit guys who are athletes and basketball players, there is always upside.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2022, 10:05:58 AM »
And I said that I had fewer concerns about this team than I did a year ago.    Keeping the team together was huge.   
Things that still make me worry. 
1.   Oso's foul shooting.    The announcer last night called the hitch in his foul shot.   
2.   Depth at the 5.    At some point, Oso is going to get in foul trouble.    Trying to picture how we defend UConn with Oso out of the game.    I still can't see it. 
3.   The 9 man rotation is solid, but one injury, particularly to Oso or Omax and it will hurt. 
4.  3 pt shooting

I am happy.   I am enjoying this.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2022, 10:13:05 AM »
tower

Legit concerns. That being said, I was thinking last night that with the pieces we have and Shaka making adjustments, I am far more comfortable today than I was a year ago. Should be an exciting next few of months of MU basketball.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2022, 10:18:59 AM »

I expect TK, Kam, and Jop to score better (though they sure opened things up for Oso). 

Oso's improvement is amazing...and his ability to defend and rebound without fouling is so important given our lack of depth at that position.

Shaka has them ready every night.  I haven't seen MU play a game I felt they shouldn't have won this year. 

The kids seem like great guys...Shaka and staff are good people...and MU basketball is back to being competitive.

I've had season tickets since birth...40 years old now...this is so much damn fun.

Great post.  What is even more amazing is that the barometer of us exceeding expectations this year - Sean Jones - hasn't played all that well these past few games.   ::) 

It is so refreshing to see a coach who 100% has a pulse on the talent on his team, the players strengths and weaknesses, and a coach who doesn't destroy confidence but instead builds confidence top to bottom on the roster.

This team has gone from 76 to 28 in Ken Pom in 12 games.  The team probably should be 10-2 at this time (victim to a miracle shooting day from Chuckie Herpesburn), currently ranking 322 in luck.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2022, 10:26:37 AM »
And I said that I had fewer concerns about this team than I did a year ago.    Keeping the team together was huge.   
Things that still make me worry. 
1.   Oso's foul shooting.    The announcer last night called the hitch in his foul shot.   
2.   Depth at the 5.    At some point, Oso is going to get in foul trouble.    Trying to picture how we defend UConn with Oso out of the game.    I still can't see it. 
3.   The 9 man rotation is solid, but one injury, particularly to Oso or Omax and it will hurt. 
4.  3 pt shooting

I am happy.   I am enjoying this.

Regarding #2)  Many teams will be challenged to defeat the Number 1 team in the country.  Our best post defense is our guards on ball defense and ability to force the offense to initiate on a shortened shot clock and typically from well outside ideal post-entry position.

Regarding #3) Of course injuries to 1 or 2 of your top 4 players (and most valuable player(s) would impact a team negatively, but having a talented 9 man roster does help mitigate injury.

Shaka has said that the team needs to press its advantages and it appears the players seem to buy-in and understand that all good things for this team stem from high/multiple efforts defensively and sharing the ball on offense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2022, 07:31:22 PM »

Perfect post.

We're fans, so we'll occasionally pick a nit, but watching this year's team play has been both entertaining and satisfying. And, like you and others here, I feel the best is yet to come.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2022, 08:00:20 PM »
I'll just say, this was Finals Week.  Players hardly practiced and had late nights studying.  Of course this wasn't going to be the best offensive game.  But they were locked in defensively and in the paint offensively.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2022, 08:39:23 PM »
I'll just say, this was Finals Week.  Players hardly practiced and had late nights studying.  Of course this wasn't going to be the best offensive game.  But they were locked in defensively and in the paint offensively.

Yep. Thought it was a very mature performance. Handled adversity well.