[Today at 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Is sultan a closet badger fan ?

Yes
69 (37.5%)
Yes
43 (23.4%)
Yes
46 (25%)
No
26 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Author Topic: The Mecca Sports Bar and Grill  (Read 26565 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: The Mecca Sports Bar and Grill
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2022, 06:35:20 PM »
I’d take it if they offered. My wife wants to recarpet the living room.

TMI
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2022, 07:27:04 PM »

Hardwood floors are da wey ta goe, hey?

Agreed.  Carpets are like clothes that you can't really every get as clean as you'd like.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2022, 07:34:32 PM »
Agreed.  Carpets are like clothes that you can't really every get as clean as you'd like.

I should have said re-floor because I think she agrees.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2022, 07:34:44 PM »
Unless da drapes match da carpet, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

panda

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2022, 08:25:31 PM »
I know I started this somewhat in jest but turning on my serious tone for a second - I’m much more inclined to pay back local establishments who survived incredibly tough times during covid restrictions instead of some corporate bar that has minimal skin in the game for the Milwaukee entertainment scene.

Add in the fact they’re supporting our local rival over us and it’s a no brainer.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2022, 08:35:29 PM »
I know I started this somewhat in jest but turning on my serious tone for a second - I’m much more inclined to pay back local establishments who survived incredibly tough times during covid restrictions instead of some corporate bar that has minimal skin in the game for the Milwaukee entertainment scene.

Add in the fact they’re supporting our local rival over us and it’s a no brainer.

Sultan does not approve.

panda

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2022, 08:43:09 PM »
Sultan does not approve.

Well he is a closet badger fan. The people have spoken.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2022, 09:00:53 PM »
Well he is a closet badger fan. The people have spoken.

Vox populi, vox deus.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2022, 09:34:58 PM »
That is fantastic.

DoctorV

• All American

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2022, 10:08:49 PM »
Go buy a Warriors t-shirt, who else has them?  Cheeseburgers are really goood and the wings wow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2022, 07:26:02 AM »
Eh. After seeing how understated the Badger event looked, my ire drained a bit. Other than some flags, I wouldn’t have known any different.

There’s plenty of other bars to go to that are way more fun, especially on NMD.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2022, 12:35:13 PM »
We went to the Major on Saturday because we had our nephew in from out of town, he's big sports fan and we wanted to show him a little MKE color.

Goolsby's had 11 different TV feeds going.  That is an incredible dedication to really putting on whatever you wanted to watch.  The memorbilia is fantastic and the staff was making sure you weren't thirsty.  Fun night.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2022, 12:47:17 PM »
I don't understand the desire to defend the Mecca? Like what is the end goal? You aren't a stakeholder so what's it to you if people don't go.

Id choose Brat House, Loaded Slate, Goolsbys in that order followed by anywhere else on third before considering heading to a stuffy dime a dozen bar like the Mecca. Also already going to overpay for beer inside why do it outside?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2022, 12:55:34 PM »
I don't understand the desire to defend the Mecca? Like what is the end goal? You aren't a stakeholder so what's it to you if people don't go.

I dont really care about the Mecca, but I have appreciated a bar hosting Marquette fans at pretty much every away game I've ever attended. 

So yeah - I'm glad those places willingly took MU fan money.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2022, 01:35:58 PM »
Two buddies and I walked out of Fiserv at 9:45 pm ( a Tuesday night ) following the Baylor game. MECCA is the first bar on the way to the car, so we decide to stop in to watch the end of the Badger/Wake Forest game, which at that point is about a 4 point game with 7:00 to go in the 2nd half.

Order a round for us. There's maybe 20-25 others in there, all watching the UW game.

At about the 4:00 minute mark in a roughly even game they announce "last call". At about the 1:30 mark they shut off every TV in the place and throw everyone out.

I have never seen such a boneheaded move in a "so called" sports bar in my life ( probably made by a bar manager who's last gig was managing an Applebee's in Dubuque). I don't care a bit if the bar hosted a Badger party for the MU game------this stunt was all I needed to never go back. I don't like rewarding stupidity.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2022, 01:49:45 PM »
Galway

Are you really surprised that Fluff has taken a side and is sticking to an opinion? I would more shocked if he did not have a strong opinion on any thread over him sticking to his guns on any topic. He is not one that usually leaves a thread quietly, even if he is outnumbered. FWIW I think Mecca Bar sucks and I am Goolsby's or Buck Bradley's guy.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2022, 02:06:16 PM »
Galway

Are you really surprised that Fluff has taken a side and is sticking to an opinion? I would more shocked if he did not have a strong opinion on any thread over him sticking to his guns on any topic. He is not one that usually leaves a thread quietly, even if he is outnumbered. FWIW I think Mecca Bar sucks and I am Goolsby's or Buck Bradley's guy.

My Trifecta Box for MU games would be:

Brat House
Goolsbys
Buck Bradley's

Any order is a winner.

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2022, 02:23:11 PM »

Id choose Brat House, Loaded Slate, Goolsbys in that order followed by anywhere else on third before considering heading to a stuffy dime a dozen bar like the Mecca. Also already going to overpay for beer inside why do it outside?

I'm not defending the MECCA. I have never been there and will likely never go. Brat House, Buck Bradley's...whatever...are much better places to pre and post game.

I am laughing at how upset people got for them hosting a UW event, with some even calling for a boycott of the place, only to have MU book it for their official NMD pep rally.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2022, 02:26:23 PM »
I'm not defending the MECCA. I have never been there and will likely never go. Brat House, Buck Bradley's...whatever...are much better places to pre and post game.

I am laughing at how upset people got for them hosting a UW event, with some even calling for a boycott of the place, only to have MU book it for their official NMD pep rally.

Another #MUmarketingfail.

The MECCA sucks. But it’s because the bar sucks, not because they hosted an away game event. Especially for an away team that probably has more fans in the away city than the home team has anyway.

Every school does this. MU had pregame events in South Bend, they have events in Madison every other year, etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2022, 02:31:30 PM »
Another #MUmarketingfail.

The MECCA sucks. But it’s because the bar sucks, not because they hosted an away game event. Especially for an away team that probably has more fans in the away city than the home team has anyway.

Every school does this. MU had pregame events in South Bend, they have events in Madison every other year, etc.

Right.  They are doing it at MECCA because it's right outside the arena, not because it is a great place.

As I said earlier in the topic, I was once at Mo's pre-game and they were hosting a Xavier event.  Ditto the old Milwaukee Brewing place (Glass & Griddle?) for another opponent.

Getting upset because an opposing school is hosting a pre-game event at a place that is trying to drum up as much business as possible is just dumb.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2022, 02:42:53 PM »

Right.  They are doing it at MECCA because it's right outside the arena, not because it is a great place.

As I said earlier in the topic, I was once at Mo's pre-game and they were hosting a Xavier event.  Ditto the old Milwaukee Brewing place (Glass & Griddle?) for another opponent.

Getting upset because an opposing school is hosting a pre-game event at a place that is trying to drum up as much business as possible is just dumb.

The Bucks own The Mecca. You know, Marquette's landlord.  That's why people are pissed, more so they had 20 Badger flags a flying. 

That said, the joke is on the Badgers as the food and service sucks, the prices are off the charts, and it is understaffed....kinda like inside Fiserv.

Go to the Brat House for double bubbles.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 02:59:04 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2022, 02:46:32 PM »
Bucky should go to Mo's, as they both suck.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2022, 02:48:41 PM »
That said, the joke is on the Badgers as the food and service sucks, the prices are off the chats, and it is understaffed....kinda like inside Fiserv.

Go to the Brat House for double bubbles.

Man, ain't that the truth. Fiserv has declined to the point where it's totally laughable how bad the experience is for the price.

Can they add a 12,000 seat arena to the Iron District?

feedback