[Today at 10:45:04 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 23-24 glut. at guard  (Read 3697 times)

rgoode57

• Starter
Re: 23-24 glut. at guard
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2022, 10:16:39 AM »
I certainly agree that Sean Jones has to get minutes. The kid brings a lot of energy that seems contagious. Love watching him play. He's raw offensively, but he looks like he will learn quickly. Ross is also doing a lot of good things on the court and is making a strong case for more minutes too.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2022, 10:58:14 AM »
Shaka is really high on EE the person.  Said he's grown a ton and never really had great stability in his life, and that EE loves the family nature of the MU program.  I don't think EE would want to leave, nor that Shaka would encourage him to leave.

Next year could be a logjam at guard position for sure, but in 2024-2025 some time will open up with Kolek's departure. 

Isn't Kolek still eligible to play in 24-25?

The bottom line is that one current player will not be with us next year - two if Shaka wants to add a big via transfer. There is not a current player who has a chance of getting drafted (including Oso and Omax) so that means one or two have to transfer.

Ellis would seem likely, but I agree that, given Shaka's comments about him, it will be entirely his choice. And, Ellis may be able to play the 3. Since we have seen so little of him, we really have no idea what his potential is. Ross also looks like he can play the 3 if he can shoot consistently.

I hate speculating which player will get cut, but Itjere who is not injured is the 10th guy coming off the bench and only when the game is no longer in doubt?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2022, 11:07:33 AM »

I hate speculating which player will get cut, but Itjere who is not injured is the 10th guy coming off the bench and only when the game is no longer in doubt?

Agree, I think Keeyan seems like the obvious choice at this point. Joplin is the other one that I think is still figuring out his role in the program, so we’ll see how that turns out.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2022, 11:10:33 AM »

Everyone who played in the pandemic has 5 years of eligibility, but Marquette listing Oso, Omax, and Kolek at Jr's shows their intentions IMO. Once you graduate, might as we'll try to got pro, unless NIL gets BIG. (But i don't know that it will overall across college ball)

Staff said Itejere is on a 5 year plan. They want him near 240 lbs. He is at 215. He came to college at 185-190.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2022, 11:20:24 AM »
I honestly forgot Ellis is on the team….
What’s his situation again ?

And , I honestly don’t see Iterje playing
any real role at MU .. and I don’t see him ever getting to 240.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2022, 01:30:11 PM »
I honestly forgot Ellis is on the team….
What’s his situation again ?

Find a leg injury that has been effecting him for awhile. Won't be cleared to play until December at the earliest. Smart money seems to be on him redshirtting this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Florida Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2022, 06:16:20 PM »
It's possible Ben Gold is a one-and-done player and turns pro professionally in Australia. I think Shaka must know something before he "overbooked" - a la United Airlines business model. That, or Oso graduating in three years and turning pro in Europe are my two best guesses. Either way, I think there is something known already at this point.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2022, 07:05:55 PM »
It's possible Ben Gold is a one-and-done player and turns pro professionally in Australia. I think Shaka must know something before he "overbooked" - a la United Airlines business model. That, or Oso graduating in three years and turning pro in Europe are my two best guesses. Either way, I think there is something known already at this point.

I want what's best for each athlete ... but Oso leaving early would really hurt.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2022, 07:02:57 AM »

Doesn’t make sense to me in regards to Gold. There would be no point in bringing in a guy who was likely to make minimal impact in his first year if there was any expectation he wouldn’t stick around multiple years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2022, 08:09:33 AM »
Doesn’t make sense to me in regards to Gold. There would be no point in bringing in a guy who was likely to make minimal impact in his first year if there was any expectation he wouldn’t stick around multiple years.

Excellent point.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2022, 08:15:33 AM »
Excellent point.

I think Gold will play a key role in a few games this year once he gets fully acclimated.  I think his skill set along with his size and athleticism will be valuable.  He’ll come in and hit a few threes when the team needs it and MU will win a game or two because of him.  As I said in another thread I liked the last game when Oso and Gold were in at the same time when Omax was ineffective.  I’d like to see that more.  It will be fun to see this team develop.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2022, 08:54:23 AM »
I am just furious we have a glut of talent at a position. How I long for the days when we could only hope to put a Nev B level talent on the floor in desperation!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2022, 09:44:14 AM »
I believe Sean will be taking koleks starting pg position at some point in the conference season.

Might be good for kolek as well to get him back into the sg role.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2022, 09:50:53 AM »
Sean will not move Tyler to the bench.     He may move Steve or Kam to the bench.    No way he replaces Tyler unless Tyler is injured. 

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2022, 10:23:53 AM »
The beauty of our Guard depth is that we can apply max ball pressure/defensive effort without compromising on stamina.  Shaka talks about us being able to press our advantages to mitigate weaknesses - our biggest asset as a team is Guard depth and the on-ball defense ability of Sean, Stevie, Chase, Tyler, and Kam (in that order of excellence.)

Shaka mentioned Georgia Tech changed who was bringing the ball up after seeing Sean defend their PG full court.  He said that was the first time it's happened in Sean's career and it won't be the last.  The way I see it rotation wise/depth chart which can be mixed and matched to get the guards in the 17-28 minute per game range:

1 - Tyler with Sean as backup
2 - Stevie with Sean and Tyler as backups
3 - Kam with Joplin, Chase, Stevie as backups
4 - OMax with Chase/Joplin as backups
5 - Oso with OMax/Gold as backups

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2022, 11:30:48 AM »
I believe Sean will be taking koleks starting pg position at some point in the conference season.

Might be good for kolek as well to get him back into the sg role.

I don't see any way this happens outside of injury.  I think we'll see them both on the floor more often together but as a pure PG, it is Kolek's job.