'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jones The Younger  (Read 6807 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Jones The Younger
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2022, 08:29:26 AM »
Goose, last night was a victory to be celebrated for all time.  Now, this team, this year, has questions that can only be answered over time.  They aren't new questions.   
Will Kolek do better this year when Big East defenses play him for the pass?
Can Oso hold up down low?  Will he get consistent help?
How will MU adjust when teams start posting Sean up?
Can MU consistently shoot well enough from 3?
What will BEast coaches do to MU and how will MU counter?

Give the other coaches credit.  They have film on MU and are already planning.   Just like Shaka.

None of these are criticisms.   This is a team being led by juniors and sophomores.    If MU has positive answers to all of the questions, it will be fun.   I know last night was.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2022, 08:37:41 AM »
They're already playing Kolek to pass. And he's being exceptionally patient and finally hitting threes.

I think we'll see a bunch of zone at times this year. If Oso can get those lane floaters to fall that will help a ton.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2022, 08:51:04 AM »
What kind of quicks does Tre Norman have?

All of them
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2022, 09:01:37 AM »
Ben Gold is also developing nicely and you can see him gaining confidence. He is going to be a really nice addition. Last night he looked like he was enjoying himself, which is a very good sign.

But, the development of Sean Jones and Chase Ross is really way further along than we expected. They both look very comfortable in their roles. I agree that having the two of them on the floor together is fun to watch, and we will undoubtedly see more of it. Cannot wait for Chase's shot to start dropping more frequently, which will come. Was also glad to see Sean last night looking for more assist opportunities.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2022, 09:07:51 AM »
Goose, last night was a victory to be celebrated for all time.  Now, this team, this year, has questions that can only be answered over time.  They aren't new questions.   
Will Kolek do better this year when Big East defenses play him for the pass?
Can Oso hold up down low?  Will he get consistent help?
How will MU adjust when teams start posting Sean up?
Can MU consistently shoot well enough from 3?
What will BEast coaches do to MU and how will MU counter?

Give the other coaches credit.  They have film on MU and are already planning.   Just like Shaka.

None of these are criticisms.   This is a team being led by juniors and sophomores.    If MU has positive answers to all of the questions, it will be fun.   I know last night was.

This is quite fair, it's just one game.  You certainly can't expect teams to kick it away 16 times for 24 points in a half.  That said I saw a controlled agression last night which was a huge positive.  O-Max in particular attacked with much better balance and footwork, used the shot fake and pivot foot, and destroyed Baylor's will once he added the 3-Ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2022, 09:22:41 AM »
tower

Last night was one for the ages and it was awesome to watch. Of course, there are still many questions, and we will see how it plays out. One question that has been answered, Sean Jones is legit and fun to watch.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2022, 09:46:06 AM »
What kind of quicks does Tre Norman have?

Jerel McNeal type athlete.  His game is based more on body control than pure speed or above the rim play.

Zaide Lowery, on the other hand, is an explosive athlete like Chase Ross. 

Al Amadou is also a great athlete.  A different skillset than Oso, but that type of athleticism.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2022, 09:49:45 AM »
Ben Gold is also developing nicely and you can see him gaining confidence. He is going to be a really nice addition. Last night he looked like he was enjoying himself, which is a very good sign.

But, the development of Sean Jones and Chase Ross is really way further along than we expected. They both look very comfortable in their roles. I agree that having the two of them on the floor together is fun to watch, and we will undoubtedly see more of it. Cannot wait for Chase's shot to start dropping more frequently, which will come. Was also glad to see Sean last night looking for more assist opportunities.

I noticed MU went away from playing Gold as the lone big in the last few games. Seems he’s played a lot better alongside Oso.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2022, 09:51:39 AM »
re: sean jones and post ups-we do seem to help out quite well.  our swarming defense has been fun to watch
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2022, 09:52:35 AM »
Yes.   Shaka is experimenting with his players.    Great.    The more uses they all have the better. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2022, 10:35:36 AM »
tower

Shaka has ice water in his veins when it comes to lineups on the court. His confidence in putting different lineups on the court is a big part of his system. He gets guys a lot of minutes and it is different look multiple times a game and it is hard to scout that type of system, IMO.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2022, 10:38:03 AM »
Jerel McNeal type athlete.  His game is based more on body control than pure speed or above the rim play.

Zaide Lowery, on the other hand, is an explosive athlete like Chase Ross. 

Al Amadou is also a great athlete.  A different skillset than Oso, but that type of athleticism.

Agree on the above. I am still throwing out the Jalen Brunson comparison for Tre. Super savvy player.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2022, 10:41:15 AM »
tower

Shaka has ice water in his veins when it comes to lineups on the court. His confidence in putting different lineups on the court is a big part of his system. He gets guys a lot of minutes and it is different look multiple times a game and it is hard to scout that type of system, IMO.

I mentioned in the Maestro thread that one of the things I really admire in the two years Shaka has been here is the way the freshmen all play without fear.   He has let them play and it paid off last night.      I love deep teams with interchangeable parts.   

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2022, 10:41:29 AM »
To me, Sean Jones honestly reminds me of a smaller version of Baylor's Davion Mitchell.

Built like a linebacker, fastest player on the court, will get into you defensively and not let go, and has such a quick burst.

Sean has a ways to go offensively to be like Davion, but the skillset looks the same and he is capable of becoming a really good offensive player.
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2022, 10:43:46 AM »
Jones reminds me of Travis Diener
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2022, 11:00:27 AM »
Jones reminds me of Travis Diener

Both wear even numbered jerseys and play for Marquette.
VIOLENCE!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2022, 11:56:40 AM »
Jones reminds me of Derrick Wilson on speed.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2022, 12:04:24 PM »

Please don't disparage Sean like this.  The only thing in common between Derrick and Sean is physical strength.  Sean's defense, offense, and impact are light years ahead of Senior Year Derrick.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2022, 12:05:05 PM »
This is quite fair, it's just one game.  You certainly can't expect teams to kick it away 16 times for 24 points in a half.  That said I saw a controlled agression last night which was a huge positive.  O-Max in particular attacked with much better balance and footwork, used the shot fake and pivot foot, and destroyed Baylor's will once he added the 3-Ball.

I noticed that last night, as well. We have all seen countless times where our bigs have shuffled their feet for travels in the lane before getting a shot off. Several times last night guys were in that situation but stayed composed and scored. OMax's control on drives last night was outstanding. He's gotten into trouble where he has gone from 0-100 on drives and either lost his balance or the ball. He was assertive by his speed was controlled last night. Huge improvement and hopefully the new normal. That seems like a habit that would be hard to break, but the difference last night stood out.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2022, 12:09:30 PM »

That’s a great comp.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2022, 12:26:04 PM »
Please don't disparage Sean like this.  The only thing in common between Derrick and Sean is physical strength.  Sean's defense, offense, and impact are light years ahead of Senior Year Derrick.

Stop it. Derrick Wilson was a fantastic defender, that's not a disparagement at all. Sean's offense is light years ahead of Derrick's.
TAMU

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2022, 12:28:21 PM »
Stop it. Derrick Wilson was a fantastic defender, that's not a disparagement at all. Sean's offense is light years ahead of Derrick's.

Derrick was a very good defender, yes.  Sean is absolutely elite.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2022, 12:40:05 PM »
Any of the Big 3 as freshman would’ve been our best player this year (assuming health for Wes). Freshman Markus would be this team’s best player. Ellenson by far would’ve been our best player. Justin Lewis was a freshman eligibility wise last year and would’ve been by far our best player.

While I disagree re most of your opinions here, I’ll leave them alone because they’re beside the point. How good a team is isn’t defined by one player. Henry Ellenson led his team to the 97th best in the country per Pomeroy and no tournament. If you still think this team has no chance to make the tournament unless Sean Jones is our best player you’re just being stubborn and ignoring what’s happening on the court.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2022, 12:46:21 PM »
Derrick was a very good defender, yes.  Sean is absolutely elite.

Not yet. He will be.
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2022, 12:56:32 PM »
They're different defensively.  Derrick was freakishly strong, especially his lower body.  He was extremely tough to post up. Sean is quicker both laterally and vertically. He's not even close to scratching the surface on both ends of the floor.  He will learn how to draw charges and get physically stronger. And of course, when he picks pockets he's dynamic in the open floor, with tier triple 1 zoomability, which is only reserved for a handful of guys.   He's potentially a significanly better Peyton Siva.