[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coming Out Party  (Read 5488 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Coming Out Party
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2022, 10:47:21 AM »
At the end of the first game Gold was playing center. The last game he played some center. I was told by someone here he could not play center. Maybe it was the same person who claimed Ross would redshirt.

I see Gold becoming the main back up at center. Both Oso and Gold will force the other teams center to try to come out and cover them.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2022, 11:19:14 AM »
Higher ceiling than Novak?
Would be nice, but he would need to make the NBA and play 5 or more years. So pump the brakes for a while

Nah, I agree 100% with that take. Novak was one of the best shooters I've ever seen, but he never had the athleticism to do what Gold can do. Doesn't mean Gold will get there, he has to develop the jumper and maintain the athleticism while filling out, but his best case scenario is better than what Steve accomplished.

For comparison, Henry Ellenson also had a higher ceiling than Novak. But he never came close to reaching the ceiling and thus will never be remembered the way Steve is. Ultimately, Steve was the better player, but as 18/19-year-old prospects, Ellenson (and Gold) are higher ceiling guys.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2022, 11:25:59 AM »
Nah, I agree 100% with that take. Novak was one of the best shooters I've ever seen, but he never had the athleticism to do what Gold can do. Doesn't mean Gold will get there, he has to develop the jumper and maintain the athleticism while filling out, but his best case scenario is better than what Steve accomplished.

For comparison, Henry Ellenson also had a higher ceiling than Novak. But he never came close to reaching the ceiling and thus will never be remembered the way Steve is. Ultimately, Steve was the better player, but as 18/19-year-old prospects, Ellenson (and Gold) are higher ceiling guys.

And because they’re all white, very similar
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2022, 11:29:50 AM »
At the end of the first game Gold was playing center. The last game he played some center. I was told by someone here he could not play center. Maybe it was the same person who claimed Ross would redshirt.

I see Gold becoming the main back up at center. Both Oso and Gold will force the other teams center to try to come out and cover them.

Gold can hit 3s, and if he hits them at a decent clip, you're right that the opponent won't be able to ignore him.

However, so far in Oso's Marquette career, the outer edge of his shooting range has been about 5 feet. If I were coaching against MU, I wouldn't have my center defend him on the perimeter. I'd tell my guy: "Number 13 can dribble all he wants 15-30 feet from the hoop. If he shoots from out there, he's doing us a favor."

As a HS senior, Oso did go 13-50 (26%) from 3, but he's yet to take a 3 at Marquette. In fact, I don't remember him ever once shooting beyond 10 feet (if he has, I missed it). He's only 1/7 on FTs this year after hitting 74% last season.

Oso's one of my favorite MU players, and I love how much better he's gotten. But he's simply not a threat from outside.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2022, 12:28:01 PM »

VBMG had the best "flashes of" comp with Dawson Garcia. Gold might not be as far along as where DG was when he arrived, but similar bodies, athleticism, and inside/out ability.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2022, 03:40:12 PM »

I doubt anyone told you that Gold couldn't play center. I think what people actually told you was that he has the skillset of a 4, possibly even a 3. That doesn't mean that he can't play center.

Honestly, Shaka's offense this season doesn't really feature a true center. He's playing three guards and two forwards and both forwards can either stretch the floor, playmake, ore both. I think Gold will always guard the opposing team's center when he's on the floor.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2022, 03:57:10 PM »
Gold can hit 3s, and if he hits them at a decent clip, you're right that the opponent won't be able to ignore him.

However, so far in Oso's Marquette career, the outer edge of his shooting range has been about 5 feet. If I were coaching against MU, I wouldn't have my center defend him on the perimeter. I'd tell my guy: "Number 13 can dribble all he wants 15-30 feet from the hoop. If he shoots from out there, he's doing us a favor."

As a HS senior, Oso did go 13-50 (26%) from 3, but he's yet to take a 3 at Marquette. In fact, I don't remember him ever once shooting beyond 10 feet (if he has, I missed it). He's only 1/7 on FTs this year after hitting 74% last season.

Oso's one of my favorite MU players, and I love how much better he's gotten. But he's simply not a threat from outside.

If Nevada Smith is such a guru on shooting why has not worked with Oso. I can not believe a 20 year old in the AAU era of playing year around, he shows no ability to shoot a 15 footer, hard to believe.  Secondly if he played a wing in high school and could not shoot, why recruit a player like that?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2022, 03:59:50 PM »
VBMG had the best "flashes of" comp with Dawson Garcia. Gold might not be as far along as where DG was when he arrived, but similar bodies, athleticism, and inside/out ability.

Idk about athleticism. From what I remember Dawson at times looked like he couldn't jump over a phone book.  Gold seems to have much more athleticism, maybe not as advanced as Garcia was when he got here but I'd say has more coordination and athleticism.
VIOLENCE!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2022, 04:17:55 PM »

If Nevada Smith is such a guru on shooting why has not worked with Oso. I can not believe a 20 year old in the AAU era of playing year around, he shows no ability to shoot a 15 footer, hard to believe.  Secondly if he played a wing in high school and could not shoot, why recruit a player like that?
Is this serious?

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2022, 04:24:45 PM »

Yes because with early career giannis you should let him get a head start running towards the basket. That is how you defend a big who can dribble.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2022, 04:28:10 PM »

This would be a good time to note, Oso was the second best player on our team last year in RAPM and is by far the best player on this years team two games into the season.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2022, 04:46:18 PM »
This would be a good time to note, Oso was the second best player on our team last year in RAPM and is by far the best player on this years team two games into the season.

I am in agreement Oso is a player, but how good a player would he be if he had an outside game. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2022, 04:53:51 PM »

Giannis, Shaq, etc...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2022, 05:57:53 PM »
Giannis, Shaq, etc...

Yes he is a lot like them, really

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2022, 06:17:54 PM »
Yes he is a lot like them, really
Yeah...shooting coaches that work with them suck as well.  I mean Giannis grew up playing overseas and can't shoot.  What the hell...has he ever had a coach...all overseas bigs can shoot.

In sincerity...I'm appreciative as to what Nevada has done for MU...don't understand why you feel the need to call him out. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 06:20:52 PM by avid1010 »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2022, 06:36:32 PM »
Yeah...shooting coaches that work with them suck as well.  I mean Giannis grew up playing overseas and can't shoot.  What the hell...has he ever had a coach...all overseas bigs can shoot.

In sincerity...I'm appreciative as to what Nevada has done for MU...don't understand why you feel the need to call him out.

He is shooting genius, maybe the problem is Oso having no ability.  You do not think in this era that kids do not shoot 3’s growing up?  Even my 4th grade grandson made 2 3’s last game. All the kids want to Jack up 3’s! Mostly Bad.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2022, 07:12:04 PM »

Maybe Oso has a lot of ability, but making perimeter shots is not among his skills. Maybe he can do some things that other players can’t, and other players can do some things that he can’t. Maybe every player isn’t gifted enough to excel at every single thing.

Who is the best coach in college basketball? Well, if he’s so good, why doesn’t he win the national championship every season?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2022, 08:20:19 PM »

Put Novak, Ellenson and Gold in a blender and..........

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2022, 08:35:57 PM »
Put Novak, Ellenson and Gold in a blender and..........

Two Ellensons and two Hausers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2022, 08:49:53 PM »

Christian Laettner, Joel Embid and Harry Froling in a blender…

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2022, 09:58:21 PM »
Two Ellensons and two Hausers.
If VSS ever once had a move like Gold’s baseline drive from the other night, some Scoopers woulda built a shrine to him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2022, 07:05:28 AM »
They already have.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2022, 08:17:34 AM »

I realize that Oso has shown no outside shot. The opposing Center does not have to come out far to get beat by Kolek dumping the ball off to Oso. Oso can also pass. Your point is correct the other center should just stay camp under the basket. I think that is where centers should stay. I never liked the idea of Buzz having Otule chase players all over the court. That is how Otule hurt his knee. I think we were 7-0 when Otule slipped on the logo and hurt his knee.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2022, 06:16:57 PM »

He is shooting genius, maybe the problem is Oso having no ability.  You do not think in this era that kids do not shoot 3’s growing up?  Even my 4th grade grandson made 2 3’s last game. All the kids want to Jack up 3’s! Mostly Bad.
Agreed...he is what he is...but I'd use a scholarship on him any day...and allowing him to get a clear path heading downhill should be a problem.  I think you have to pick him up at or near the 3pt line and body him away from the rim. 

I'd gladly take a big who can board, block shots, has muscle, and can hit from outside...Henry lasted a year at MU and I think he hit 2 of those qualifiers.

feedback